IAF Chronicles - A side view of whats going on behind the closed doors in New Delhi

Status
Not open for further replies.
is Rafale a small strike aircraft? no, a medium one.
And I was speaking of a XL model.

Even with an XL model, the internal load will be limited and because of the airframe design, the range will be limited.

Ghatak will have a 2T internal load and it's a flying wing design, so it will have a lot of range as well.

There's no point making a dedicated strike version of a fighter aircraft, the IAF won't buy it. They are only interested in air superiority designs.

Reactions: Sathya and Ironhide
Israeli Air Force Leaning Toward Upgraded F-15 Over F-35 for Next Fighter Jet Acquisition - Indian Defence Research Wing

@Aashish

Su 30 upgrade deal helping with F15 upgrade package ?

Not the US upgrade mentioned in article but asking if Israeli upgrades for both Su30 & F15 - won't it make viable for their small F15 numbers
Both Fighters are poles apart. Neither US nor Russia will allow any deep upgradation without their permission and involvement. Further neither Israel nor India would like to share confidential technologies. A few can be shared between Israel and India but not all.

Reactions: Shashank and Sathya
Both Fighters are poles apart. Neither US nor Russia will allow any deep upgradation without their permission and involvement. Further neither Israel nor India would like to share confidential technologies. A few can be shared between Israel and India but not all.

At this point it's merely a speculation of myn based on parikrama s source based news. Like India requesting silent eagle package for Su30,Israeli playing the role of architect in upgradation . Just thought there are some dots connecting both , nothing big.

Not the US upgrade mentioned in article but asking if Israeli upgrades for both Su30 & F15 - won't it make viable for their small F15 numbers

We are not in the business of subsidizing other countries. What Israel does with the F-15s is Israel's and America's problem.

Su-30 will see Russian and Indian tech.

Reactions: Sathya
At this point it's merely a speculation of myn based on parikrama s source based news. Like India requesting silent eagle package for Su30,Israeli playing the role of architect in upgradation . Just thought there are some dots connecting both , nothing big.

There's no Silent Eagle package for the Su-30. The SU-30's configuration was decided years ago. It's all Russian.

Reactions: Sathya
The F-15 and the Su-30 are completely different designs; I doubt even without the political obstacles it would be worthwhile to try shoehorning a Silent Eagle kit on a Sukhoi.

• Agree
Reactions: bonobashi
Please pardon me for asking a off topic question, but does anyone here aware on how can a normal person visit defexpo which is going to be held on 11th to 14th April in chennai ??

Please let me know as I searched all over but could not find any concrete info.

Reactions: Shekhar Singh
Please pardon me for asking a off topic question, but does anyone here aware on how can a normal person visit defexpo which is going to be held on 11th to 14th April in chennai ??

Please let me know as I searched all over but could not find any concrete info.

As far as I know only the last day is for the general public

The first two or three days is only for people from the Industry

If you cannot register Online as a Common man I suggest you go to the site
and make some friend from the media or a Company executive

They would take or ask for some Friendly gift in return ( Whisky :LOL: )

Reactions: Notsuperstitious
Hi @Aashish, Any further news about Kaveri engine? Whats the progress on it?
Will try to find out but its a bit limited.. a total crackdown is happening across the board for information leakages..

Its well known now that there are 3 splinter groups in the defence modernisation plan.
one side is IAF and IN
second side is PMO with his geo political shifts
third is now emerging as DM herself who gets swayed with whatever few ppl are feeding her ears.. An example is HAL who is again convincing her with tall claims. A latest being NMRH deal which she is interested to give to HAL. PMO is against and IN is up in arms..

Will still find the progress..

But there is a strong buzz about a considerable progress during Prez Macron visit. Its towards the establishment of bigger Safran network and formal declaration of Safranised Kaveri progress and scope. (courtesy @halloweene )

In the meantime

Trailing China, a new defence deal with France gives India a foothold in Indian Ocean
Trailing China, a new defence deal with France gives India a foothold in Indian Ocean
PRANAB DHAL SAMANTA
8 mins ago

Column2-1.jpg

Illustration by Peali Dezine

Indian ships and naval assets can now move across from the Pacific to Singapore, Andamans, Diego Garcia, Mauritius, Seychelles, and Djibouti, onwards to Oman.

India is all set to firm up a defence logistics agreement with France, just like the LEMOA with the United States. The move will allow India access to French military bases in the Indian Ocean and the Horn of Africa, and round off another critical part of enhancing its military presence in these waters to counter China.

The agreement, which is expected to be signed during French President Emmanuel Macron’s visit to India in early March, was firmed up around the time New Delhi worked out the fine-print with Seychelles to build and operate a military base there.

What’s important to understand, however, is the bigger picture which is evidently falling in place, and why it’s important not to stop just here.

The approach
There are essentially two major frames to this strategy – bases which India will build, and bases or ports that its forces can access.

On the first count, India moved on Assumption Island in Seychelles and Agalega islands in Mauritius, both on the outer stretches of Africa, with an intent to monitor big shipping traffic moving across the Indian Ocean and also towards the Horn of Africa and to the Persian Gulf.

In both these places, India will build infrastructure and operate bases with adequate safeguards to the sovereignty of the country concerned.

The other big proposal in this folder, which is under consideration at the highest levels, is a possible base in Oman. That would expand Indian presence to the mouth of the Persian Gulf. However, the entire project would entail a massive expenditure that the government is now going through with a toothcomb.

The next category is access India will get by way of agreements with other countries.

The LEMOA with the US provides India access to Diego Garcia, the biggest American base in the Indian Ocean, besides Guam, on the edge of the Pacific Ocean.

In the same way, the logistics agreement with France will allow India access to the strategically important French base in the Reunion Islands near Madagascar. This is typically the French area of colonial influence, where another opening will be the French facilities in Djibouti in the Horn of Africa. China’s People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) already operates a military base here, its first such base overseas.

Another agreement India signed as part of this maritime strategy was with Singapore two months ago at the Defence Ministers’ Dialogue. Through this understanding, India can dock its naval platforms in Singapore for longer periods, use its facilities, and even conduct maritime surveillance missions in the South China Sea.

Put together, all of this completes a bigger jigsaw, much of which is now falling into place. As a result, Indian ships and naval assets can move across from the edge of the Pacific, Singapore down to the Andamans, Diego Garcia, then on to Mauritius, Seychelles, and Djibouti, onwards to Oman.

This forms the entire arc from the Pacific to the mouth of the Persian Gulf, essentially forming the expanse now termed as the ‘Indo-Pacific’. Australia, too, is said to be interested in pursuing a logistics agreement of the kind the US has and now France will have with India.

So, what emerges is a group of interoperable navies collaborating to use one another’s bases in order to build a more effective security architecture in the Indo-Pacific.

India will obviously service and station troops in bases that it will build and operate. The idea should be to increase the number of foreign bases in this category. And here is where, the government will have to find the finances and political muscle to see it through.

China’s lead
There should be no doubt that India has to make up for lost time and opportunity on this front. While this strategy may look impressive, the fact is China has moved far ahead, threatening to negate Indian influence in its traditional areas of dominance.

Maldives is a good example of how China has moved literally into India’s backyard to build a whole port city with a possible base. This, along with its port in Gwadar, Pakistan, provides a perfect entry into the Arabian Sea and down to the Indian Ocean.

The Hambantota port in Sri Lanka is, for all practical purposes, now leased to China. This has forced India to go deeper south in the Indian Ocean towards Mauritius.

But India must not stop there or become dependent on the US or France. It must explore possibilities in Madagascar, which is like a junction point in the Indian Ocean where routes diverge.

Also of big value are the large under-sea data cables in the area, which are constantly being probed by Chinese submarines. China is now able to mount more under-sea missions in the Indian Ocean due to better port access, another cause of big concern.

While Seychelles and Mauritius are good starts, what India must ensure is more such agreements and better delivery on the ground. The much delayed Chabahar project in Iran, which was meant to be India’s answer to Gwadar, should serve as a constant reminder on how poor execution can neutralise any strategic advantage or play.

+++

Have told you all folks long before about the DM Parly visit and strategic tie-up between India and France.. There will be a bigger military pact.. its something which is inevitable due to sharing a common goal of stability and development jointly.

third is now emerging as DM herself who gets swayed with whatever few ppl are feeding her ears.. An example is HAL who is again convincing her with tall claims
Well, If you remember my posts on the other forum, once again my suggestions have been accepted. MRTT is now going to have second hand aircraft and not new. If you remember, I had very clearly written that aircraft with 50% life remaining in them. I am pushing for A340-500LR as common platform for Tankers and AWACs and if Airbus industry is wise enough, they should propose this and I can guarantee 100% success to them.

third is now emerging as DM herself who gets swayed with whatever few ppl are feeding her ears.. An example is HAL who is again convincing her with tall claims. A latest being NMRH deal which she is interested to give to HAL.

She cannot afford to not air their views. She is a RS member from Karnataka, which goes to polls soon.

Reactions: Aashish
Status
Not open for further replies.