Corvettes of Indian Navy : News and Discussions

I remember reading its RFI for its SAM component.

Capability to counter Mach 3 Sea Skimming Anti ship missiles 360° around the ship noted as point defence.
Means this ship will have something like Barak 1 atleast.

But I don't remember if the RFI said anything about any aviation facilities. The Kora and Khukri class have atleast flight decks enabling small helicopters to land on them. Hopefully this minimum capability will be retained here too.

More or less it will be a frigate minus ASW capability.

We should have had a common 2500ton design which we could have had made as ASW Corvette or ASuW Corvette. That would have been ideal. We still have a RFI for 7 Next Generation Corvettes and requirement of 8 more ASW Corvettes which has yet to receive AoN.

I remember reading its RFI for its SAM component.

Capability to counter Mach 3 Sea Skimming Anti ship missiles 360° around the ship noted as point defence.
Means this ship will have something like Barak 1 atleast.

But I don't remember if the RFI said anything about any aviation facilities. The Kora and Khukri class have atleast flight decks enabling small helicopters to land on them. Hopefully this minimum capability will be retained here too.

More or less it will be a frigate minus ASW capability.

We should have had a common 2500ton design which we could have had made as ASW Corvette or ASuW Corvette. That would have been ideal. We still have a RFI for 7 Next Generation Corvettes and requirement of 8 more ASW Corvettes which has yet to receive AoN.
Which AoN is pending?

Navy requirement was for 8 more ASW Corvettes after Kamorta Class, but its been like 6-7 years now and AoN not given. Maybe once 4th P28 is commissioned, a fresh proposal is drafted and sent to mod.
Can you give a source? I dont think its true. I remember @Parthu saying the same.

NGMV RFI
Screenshot_2019-07-01 Navy - Google Drive.png

Screenshot_2019-07-01 Navy - Google Drive(1).png

Can you give a source? I dont think its true. I remember @Parthu saying the same.

NGMV RFI
View attachment 7781
View attachment 7780
There was a Maritime Draft 2022(not sure about this name also) Plan issued in 2008 i think. It was in that, that the Navy proposed
1. 1 more Integrated AC (IAC 2)
2. 4 Multipurpose Ships
3. 7 P17A frigates
4. 6 P75I submarine
5. 2 Cadet Training Ships
6. 5 OPVs
7. 8 Minesweepers
8. 8 P28A Corvette

I don't have that document now, will post if get it.

There was a Maritime Draft 2022(not sure about this name also) Plan issued in 2008 i think. It was in that, that the Navy proposed
1. 1 more Integrated AC (IAC 2)
2. 4 Multipurpose Ships
3. 7 P17A frigates
4. 6 P75I submarine
5. 2 Cadet Training Ships
6. 5 OPVs
7. 8 Minesweepers
8. 8 P28A Corvette

I don't have that document now, will post if get it.
It was Maritime Capability Perspective Plan (2022). Though still don't have any document/source.

Attachments

• tpcr.pdf
    589.6 KB · Views: 315
In addition to a wide application in military and coastal surveillance, Air Cushion Vehicles have substantial potential in the commercial sector like civil transportation, disaster management and tourism. Considering the need for absorbing the relevant design and construction technology for building these craft in India at affordable cost, a feature to encourage joint development of design by Indian Shipyards in collaboration with a foreign design house of ACVs or by sourcing the design for construction of ACVs with substantial Indian content has been included in the RFP for ACV
There was some rumours going around last year about some LCAC sized hovercrafts being built in HSL. Don't know how true that is. Now we have the plans for building 12 ACVs. GRSE is the only shipyard that has experience in building ACVs, the built 12 Griffon-GRSE 8000 TD-Class Hovercraft and assembled 4 of them via the CKD route.
These ACVs we are going to build, do you have any details on them ? Are they the in service Griffon-GRSE 8000 TD sized or the LCAC sized ?

S. jha's take on this :

There was some rumours going around last year about some LCAC sized hovercrafts being built in HSL. Don't know how true that is. Now we have the plans for building 12 ACVs. GRSE is the only shipyard that has experience in building ACVs, the built 12 Griffon-GRSE 8000 TD-Class Hovercraft and assembled 4 of them via the CKD route.
These ACVs we are going to build, do you have any details on them ? Are they the in service Griffon-GRSE 8000 TD sized or the LCAC sized ?

S. jha's take on this :

Army has requirement of 15+ (10 ton load capacity) and 40+ (2.5 ton load capacity) ACVs.

TRISHUL: Case For Combining Indian Navy’s NGMV & NGC Needs Into A Unitary Procurement

Fromthe above, it becomes clear that the IN remains intellectually stunted by beingunwilling to take the required paradigm transformational leap of the typerequired for the net security provider for the IOR. Sound common sense suggeststhat the IN should combine its NGMV and NGC requirements by opting forcommon-hull 3,500-tonne LCS-type vessels

Have to agree with PKS here. Make it a common platform and spit it for multiple shipyards.

• Agree
Reactions: R!cK
The problem is Brahmos. You cannot have a Missile Boat with a missile as big and heavy as Brahmos. You can however have one with a sub 1 ton weight Brahmos Mini or maybe NSM.

The moment you add 8 Brahmos to a missile Boat, you will be forces to increase the size of the vessel, and bang it becomes a Corvette without ASW Capability.

I don't get this. We have the prowess to design destroyers, frigates, corvettes , an Aircraft carrier even also perhaps a LPD but not a MCMV or a missile boat? PKS came out with a good post on this which Ashwin reproduced here.
Its an offer mate. They are free to choose to make offers or not, we are free to choose to take them or not.

I think what the Navy wants is to get more shipyards building large/complex ships in order to shore up experience. GSL, for example, never made a large combat vessel, so the Navy handed it the order to build those additional Talwar class frigates with Russian assistance. Sometimes these kinds of hand holding projects work quite well(remember the L&T Shipyard making large patrol boats in and delivering well ahead of time) and sometimes it doesn't(Reliance shipyard being fined for delaying delivery Navy's patrol boat orders).

The navy considers this kinds of orders as capability enhancement projects. From their POV this is a long term invest that is absolutely worth making, even if it means short term pains.

The navy's design board i.e. the Directorate of Naval Design(DND) only gets involved with critical projects where domestic capability is crucial(Destroyers, ACs,Nuclear subs, VC11184, DRDO TDV etc.) and foreign help is scarce.

Just my two cents.:)

@Gautam @_Anonymous_ @Parthu @Ashwin @nair @randomradio

DRDO TDV is 75% complete
CSL's P28A will commence Q1FY20. Aslo IAC Phase II 93% complete.

Following is Q1FY20 Order backlog.

1565282381001.png

Also given CSL is participating in the NGMV, there is a good chance it will be derrived from NGC (ASWSCW) P28A.