Agni & Prithvi Ballistic Missiles : News & Discussions

We have A-1, A-2, A-3, A-4 and A-5 where A-3 is our heaviest and A-5 is our longest range missile.

We now even have A-1P. Also, there are reports that A-4Mk2 is already under development and soon it will be tested.

A-1P will most probably replace A-1, A-2 and will serve as deterrence against Pakistan. A-4MK2 will replace A-3 and A-4 and will be a China centric missile. Both A-1P and A-4MK2 will be MIRV and MaRV capable. This will streamline our deployment and we will have two separate systems for two adversaries.

If A-4Mk2 is our deterrence against China then where exactly A-5 sits in the hierarchy (or the reverse)?

One possibility can be A-4Mk2 will be our new heaviest throw weight missile and A-5 will act as deterrence against China.

During that submarine program one of the guests, Mr Bhatia I think, indicated that DRDO guys probably want to go back & forth, in the sense the older gen missiles now made smarter & possibly new tech like MIRV etc added to those. So It would make sense to do this with A3 & A4 as well.

Reactions: Fatalis
Wow!! Again a new missile in Agni family.

Which one hard to guess. Definitely not A-1P. Then which one.
During that submarine program one of the guests, Mr Bhatia I think, indicated that DRDO guys probably want to go back & forth, in the sense the older gen missiles now made smarter & possibly new tech like MIRV etc added to those. So It would make sense to do this with A3 & A4 as well.
Yeah. My view is why keep multiple type of missiles for a similar role. Like the role of A-1 and A-2 can easily be done by A-1P and same is the case with the new upcoming A-4Mk2 that can replace A-3 and A-4.

One point can be there is a big number of those old missiles and so instead of replacing them better to make them smart and relevant with the new ones.

Reactions: marich01
Wow!! Again a new missile in Agni family.

Which one hard to guess. Definitely not A-1P. Then which one.

Yeah. My view is why keep multiple type of missiles for a similar role. Like the role of A-1 and A-2 can easily be done by A-1P and same is the case with the new upcoming A-4Mk2 that can replace A-3 and A-4.

One point can be there is a big number of those old missiles and so instead of replacing them better to make them smart and relevant with the new ones.
Standard shelf life should be around 15 years, maybe 25 with maintenance and overhauls.

So older missiles are not a worry according to me. Agni Prime when is ready to go under production, A1 and A2 will already be close to their end of shelf life imo.

Same for A3 when the next gen MRBM comes online.

This is a very costly affair. As an engineer you need to reduce cost and this method will only increase the cost of Anti ship weapon, plus the time of flight to reach it's target is also longer than required.

You also need to go undetected other wise the radar will pick up the launch and prepare the ship to change locations thus increasing the CEP for the warhead.

Good for creating test scenarios for technology testing but not applicable in real time application. Doesn't make any sense.

Yes, I do think that direction was changed mid course and instead of hitting south it went south east near Andaman sea. That's one possibility, this is why it was visible from Myanmar.

I thought , as some others also pointed out on twitter, it did very powerful maneuver & turned horizontal, something that may be different from normal ballistic trajectory following behavior? :unsure:

If India wants, Agni missiles can now strike targets beyond 7,000 kms
Read more At:

Days after the successful trials of the nuclear-capable Agni-5 ballistic missile, India has now developed the capability to strike targets beyond the range of 7,000 kms.
Sources in the defence establishment told ANI that the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has been able to reduce the weight of the Agni-5 missile by replacing steel content with composite materials.
"The weight reduction that has been achieved in the missile system is beyond 20 per cent and if the government wants, the nuclear-capable strategic missile can go beyond 7,000 kms," they said.
Sources cited the example of the Agni-3 which weighs around 40 tonnes and can strike targets at 3,000 kms but the Agni-4 weighing slightly more than 20 tonnes can cover a much longer range.
The extended range of the missile which is part of the Strategic Forces Command will give a variety of options to the planners during times of conflict.
India's nuclear weapon programme is mainly for deterrence against its adversaries including China and Pakistan as it has a no-first-use policy.
It has been strengthening the second strike capability and is also working on the development of a submarine-launched ballistic missile.
The sources said the decision to test the missile for its new maximum possible range will have to be taken by the government.
India on Thursday had successfully carried out night trials of the Agni-5 nuclear-capable ballistic missile at its full range of 5400 kms.
The test was carried out to validate new technologies and equipment on the missile which is now lighter than before.
In October last year, India carried out the successful launch of the surface-to-surface ballistic missile, Agni-5 from APJ Abdul Kalam Island, Odisha.
The missile, which uses a three-stage solid-fuelled engine, is capable of striking targets at ranges up to 5,000 kilometres with a very high degree of accuracy, the defence ministry said in a statement.
The successful test of Agni-5 is in line with India's stated policy to have 'credible minimum deterrence' that underpins the commitment to 'No First Use', it had said.
In June 2018, India had first successfully flight-tested Agni 5 from Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Island (Wheeler Island). (ANI)

If India wants, Agni missiles can now strike targets beyond 7,000 kms
Read more At:

do they use inertial guidance or gps like system ? if we do use gps like I think we are already at the max range of our navic system.

If India wants, Agni missiles can now strike targets beyond 7,000
Beyond 20%😉😃

Lets take a comparo of Agni-5 specs with Minuteman III:

Agni 5 Minuteman III

Length: 57.4ft(17.5) 59.9ft(18.3m)

Diameter: 2m(6'7") 1.68m(5'6")

Mass: 50 ton 36 ton

Payload:1.5ton(MIRV) 1ton(3MIRV)

Range: 5400kms ~14,000kms

Does anybody believe in the range quoted for Agni-5? Guys this is a full blown ICBM with similar range as that of Minuteman III.

Now with 20% weight reduction as per official sources, the new version just weighs around 40 ton. With almost 10 ton weight reduction it could travel much farther, carry much more and reach much faster.

So beyond 7000 kms is well....anybody's guess. Jai Hind🇮🇳🇮🇳

do they use inertial guidance or gps like system ? if we do use gps like I think we are already at the max range of our navic system.
I have no idea on this part really, but new sats to be launched as part of navic will increase the range as gps alternative, and given now navic is going to be made mandatory besides gps , obviously a military application range will be higher. In fact space assets will grow in coming years.