Agni & Prithvi Ballistic Missiles : News & Discussions

Chinese take on the Agni-P:

"Military commentator Song Zhongping, a former PLA instructor, said the Agni-P would need further testing to prove its anti-ship capability.

“Hitting a warship with a ballistic missile is a complex systematic project. It takes not only the missile itself, but also many other support systems – such as satellite navigation, terminal target identification, guidance and manoeuvring systems,” he said. “I believe India has this demand and willingness to work hard towards this goal, but it will take time.”
Although it might not be ready for an anti-ship mission, the Agni-P, with its improved quick response and accuracy, could still greatly strengthen the Indian military’s precision strike capability, according to Song.

“It probably does not aim at the big cities of China or Pakistan, but tactical targets like armoured vehicle clusters or airports, for which it could do a better job,” he said."

"Military commentator Song Zhongping, a former PLA instructor, said the Agni-P would need further testing to prove its anti-ship capability.

“Hitting a warship with a ballistic missile is a complex systematic project. It takes not only the missile itself, but also many other support systems – such as satellite navigation, terminal target identification, guidance and manoeuvring systems,” he said. “I believe India has this demand and willingness to work hard towards this goal, but it will take time.”
Although it might not be ready for an anti-ship mission, the Agni-P, with its improved quick response and accuracy, could still greatly strengthen the Indian military’s precision strike capability, according to Song.

“It probably does not aim at the big cities of China or Pakistan, but tactical targets like armoured vehicle clusters or airports, for which it could do a better job,” he said."

@hellbent mentioned about it a while back.

Attachments

• E16BCE0C-8541-48FD-B3A4-0B0A6EE0D507.jpeg
    E16BCE0C-8541-48FD-B3A4-0B0A6EE0D507.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 170
Ok so apparently, Agni - Prime was MIRVed at delivering 2 separate warheads. Now, Agni - 5 getting ready to do the same.....

Now, now - isn't this an arsenal fit for the Gods themselves?

Ok so apparently, Agni - Prime was MIRVed at delivering 2 separate warheads. Now, Agni - 5 getting ready to do the same.....

Now, now - isn't this an arsenal fit for the Gods themselves?
It will be agni 6 if it's really MIRVed people should stop reporting it as agni v

• Agree
Reactions: SammyBoi
It will be agni 6 if it's really MIRVed people should stop reporting it as agni v
A6 isn't just a MIRVed version of the A5 you know. A6 will also be bigger & have longer range. Remember the 70 ton container for carrying an ICBM ? That was for the A6.

I think they just want to test the MIRV on the A5 & use the lessons learned on A6.

A6 isn't just a MIRVed version of the A5 you know. A6 will also be bigger & have longer range. Remember the 70 ton container for carrying an ICBM ? That was for the A6.

I think they just want to test the MIRV on the A5 & use the lessons learned on A6.
Changing the payload bus will require significant work and I don't think it will carry much warhead considering it's diameter and payload.

Changing the payload bus will require significant work and I don't think it will carry much warhead considering it's diameter and payload.
If I recall correctly there was a newer 3rd stage of the A5 under development. It was speculated then that this might be for carrying a MIRV payload. I think the changes made to the base A5 will include that 3rd stage which was being developed. The test is not that far from now, we will see. The good thing is that since there was an announcement/media reports we are likely to get photos/videos.

I am surprised by the public announcement of a MIRV payload. Normally such things either never come out publicly or come out after the test has been conducted. Remember the ASAT missile ? That did not exist in public until it shot down a satellite. Of course we've had the capability to make MIRVs since the 90s but it wasn't talked about as MIRV isn't just about independent targeting ability but it also signifies a heightened confidence on out thermonuclear designs.

Remember some time back Modi mentioned India has the "mother of nuclear bombs". Usually the term "mother of ...." is used to signify the biggest/most powerful of a certain category, case in point the American MOAB. We were working on our 3rd generation nuclear warhead designs which included boosted fission, FBF & thermonuclear designs. The thermonuclear designs were supposed to be modular ranging from a few hundred Kt to Mt class.

Has there been a breakthrough there that prompted Mudi kaka to issue that statement ? And now just a couple of years after that statement there is a public and visible move towards MIRVs. One of the reasons we did not bet on MIRVs is due to warhead design. MIRVs ensure that the individual warheads are smaller thus without improvement in design the total blast yield goes down.

For example, a 200Kt 1st gen Indian fission warhead from the 1980s would weigh around 800kg where as a 2nd gen FBF design would weigh ~230kg. Thus the same missile can carry more warheads, without the improvement in design it makes little sense to go for a MIRVed payload.

Maybe I am over thinking this.

If I recall correctly there was a newer 3rd stage of the A5 under development. It was speculated then that this might be for carrying a MIRV payload. I think the changes made to the base A5 will include that 3rd stage which was being developed. The test is not that far from now, we will see. The good thing is that since there was an announcement/media reports we are likely to get photos/videos.

I am surprised by the public announcement of a MIRV payload. Normally such things either never come out publicly or come out after the test has been conducted. Remember the ASAT missile ? That did not exist in public until it shot down a satellite. Of course we've had the capability to make MIRVs since the 90s but it wasn't talked about as MIRV isn't just about independent targeting ability but it also signifies a heightened confidence on out thermonuclear designs.

Remember some time back Modi mentioned India has the "mother of nuclear bombs". Usually the term "mother of ...." is used to signify the biggest/most powerful of a certain category, case in point the American MOAB. We were working on our 3rd generation nuclear warhead designs which included boosted fission, FBF & thermonuclear designs. The thermonuclear designs were supposed to be modular ranging from a few hundred Kt to Mt class.

Has there been a breakthrough there that prompted Mudi kaka to issue that statement ? And now just a couple of years after that statement there is a public and visible move towards MIRVs. One of the reasons we did not bet on MIRVs is due to warhead design. MIRVs ensure that the individual warheads are smaller thus without improvement in design the total blast yield goes down.

For example, a 200Kt 1st gen Indian fission warhead from the 1980s would weigh around 800kg where as a 2nd gen FBF design would weigh ~230kg. Thus the same missile can carry more warheads, without the improvement in design it makes little sense to go for a MIRVed payload.

Maybe I am over thinking this.
Even displaying A5 launcher was unusual outside race course parades.