Jammu & Kashmir live updates: GOI remove all provisions of Article 370

I'm willing to concede that govt, at least they believe and you concur, that they may manage to find a grey area in the constitution to pull of the 'coup'. We will have to wait for the the SC to decide whether it was a valid amendment or skulduggery. However I hope you have the humility to admit that my questioning of the 'coup' was equally valid and 'not beyond' anything laid out in the constitution.
When I consulted someone learned in this matter he told me the basic principle is 'the one who can give has the power to take it'. It was given as a fraud on constitution, violating it's spirit at more places than we can count. It is undoing a wrong, removing a temporary provision that became a permanent feature in a living document without even being into basic structure, it can only go away with grey areas.

It was a mockery of constitution and if this government has not removed it someday in future SC would have thrown it out. They will be relieved that someone did it for them. The only way SC will look at is other way, maybe a slap on wrist in worst case but after the articulate handling and very clever, thoughtful work done I doubt SC will even bother. Won't be surprised if there is a dissenting opinion as a consolation for jihadi and liberals while government walks out smiling.

How about a third option? Upping the costs while upgunning?

In this particular case, dunno how SDRs will put them in the kind of pressure that the purchase and induction of Rafale, Apache, SPYDER etc already haven't.

And I don't think SDRs are expensive. It's primarily a question of availability for the Pakistanis.

The program was originally for 1000+ SDRs for the entire fleet and Rafael won the tender back in 2017. So this batch of 400 was actually rushed. Maybe I'm overthinking this.

Reactions: Hellfire
that they may manage to find a grey area in the constitution to pull of the 'coup'

How else do you undo a coup by the traitor Sheikh Abdullah and Nehru.

It is an implied fraud when one wears a saintly cloak of constitution to justify arguments detrimental to India's National Security.

Reactions: Bali78
@Milspec I don't think those Polish guns are coming to Pakistan.

Pakistan goes to UNSC, its chief Poland puts it bluntly: Find bilateral solution to J-K

Poland’s backing of a bilateral solution to the Kashmir dispute comes after Russia, a UNSC permanent member, underscored Saturday that India’s move was carried out “within the framework of the Constitution of the Republic of India”.

Written by Shubhajit Roy | New Delhi | Updated: August 13, 2019 12:57:55 pm
imran-khan-759.jpg

Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan’s government had decided to reach out to the UN, including the Security Council, and raise the Kashmir issue. (Reuters Photo)

As China raised the move to scrap the special status granted to Jammu and Kashmir and bifurcate the state into two Union Territories with India and days after Pakistan approached the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) over J&K, Poland — which currently holds the UNSC presidency — has made it clear that Delhi and Islamabad should find a solution “bilaterally”.

This is the first time that Poland has spoken out on the heightened diplomatic tension between India and Pakistan.

This also puts a lid on Pakistan’s attempts to raise the issue at the UNSC for the time being.

Poland’s backing of a bilateral solution to the Kashmir dispute comes after Russia, a UNSC permanent member, underscored Saturday that India’s move was carried out “within the framework of the Constitution of the Republic of India”.

Poland holds the presidency of the UNSC for the month of August. The presidency rotates monthly among the members of the Security Council.

While Foreign Secretary Vijay Keshav Gokhale had briefed envoys in Delhi earlier, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar had dialled Polish Foreign Minister Jacek Czaputowicz last Thursday.

Speaking to The Indian Express Monday, Poland’s ambassador to India Adam Burakowski said, “Poland hopes that both countries can work out a mutually beneficial solution bilaterally.”

Expressing “concern” over the current tension between India and Pakistan in the wake of the proposed changes to the status of J&K, Burakowski said, “Poland believes that the dispute can only be resolved by peaceful means. Like the EU, we are in favour of dialogue between India and Pakistan.”

“As a non-permanent member of the UNSC, Poland stands ready, if needed, to engage in preventing actions impacting security situation,” he said.

jaishankar-9.jpg

External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar had also dialled Polish Foreign Minister Jacek Czaputowicz last Thursday. (AP Photo/File)

The Polish envoy, who has been following the development in the region and has been key in sending reports from Delhi, said, “I would like to emphasise on the word ‘bilaterally’ that’s the keyword.”

This is a shot in the arm for New Delhi since India has always maintained that the Kashmir issue should be resolved bilaterally between India and Pakistan, in accordance with the Simla Agreement in 1972 and the Lahore Declaration in 1999.

Pakistan’s Imran Khan government, however, had decided to reach out to the UN, including the Security Council, and raise the Kashmir issue. Islamabad has long sought to internationalise the issue.

Sources said that the phone conversation between Jaishankar and the Polish Foreign Minister was key to framing their view. Jaishankar had, on August 8, briefed the Polish side, on India’s position concerning the modified status of J&K.

According to the Polish Foreign Ministry statement, Jaishankar had explained that the amendment repealing Article 370 of the Indian Constitution is of “strictly internal nature” and aims at “bringing security to the region that is particularly vulnerable to terrorist attacks”.

Jaishankar had emphasised that the recent amendment to the Constitution does not entail any international consequences and aims to end the temporary situation and to create better opportunities for the growth in the region, according to the statement.

Polish Foreign Minister Czaputowicz had expressed hope that dialogue with Pakistan will prevent tension between the two countries.

Pakistan goes to UNSC, its chief Poland puts it bluntly: Find bilateral solution to J-K

Reactions: Hellfire
As Pak Army gets engaged on its border with India for escalating tension, Afghanistan claims its forces killed 1186 Pakistan-aided radical Taliban including 34 Pakistanis in the last couple of weeks. Without Pakistani support, the Taliban is quite vulnerable in front of Afghan Forces.

It seems that Pakistan is using Afghanistan as a dump for FATF listing terrorists to avoid blacklisting. These figures are provided by the Ministry of Defense, Afghanistan during different press releases over the past ten days. 1186 Pakistan-sponsored Talibanis killed and 568 terrorists wounded. Huge quantity of arms, ammunition and vehicles were seized. Before this Afghanistan Security forces had killed 811 FATF Grey Listed Pakistan supported Taliban terrorists.

Last edited:
When I consulted someone learned in this matter he told me the basic principle is 'the one who can give has the power to take it'. It was given as a fraud on constitution, violating it's spirit at more places than we can count. It is undoing a wrong, removing a temporary provision that became a permanent feature in a living document without even being into basic structure, it can only go away with grey areas.

It was a mockery of constitution and if this government has not removed it someday in future SC would have thrown it out. They will be relieved that someone did it for them. The only way SC will look at is other way, maybe a slap on wrist in worst case but after the articulate handling and very clever, thoughtful work done I doubt SC will even bother. Won't be surprised if there is a dissenting opinion as a consolation for jihadi and liberals while government walks out smiling.

I have already stated that I welcome the move to remove the special status, however I completely disapprove the Constitutional gymnastics the govt resorted to in order to accomplish it. As a result of this 'gymnastics' govt has set a precedence where a similar gymnastics will be /could be performed by any future union government to settle scores with a troublesome state in the union....

In law making, bad means 'may' sometimes lead to good ends, but bad means 'will' definitely lead to bad ends. To sum up means is just as important as the end.

How else do you undo a coup by the traitor Sheikh Abdullah and Nehru.

It is an implied fraud when one wears a saintly cloak of constitution to justify arguments detrimental to India's National Security.

Delimitation process that they envisaged, although a rough draft, was quite promising.

We are praying that they do it. and also hoping that they do it soon.
Thanks for the reply Sir, err.. one more question don't you think it would be wise for us to wait for few years untill we get some key weapon systems like rafale s400 BMD shield ak203 before we go for a final assault? Also by 2022 all the 8 dams will start functioning that we are building on Indus river that will provide us a strategic weapon too.

I have already stated that I welcome the move to remove the special status, however I completely disapprove the Constitutional gymnastics the govt resorted to in order to accomplish it. As a result of this 'gymnastics' govt has set a precedence where a similar gymnastics will be /could be performed by any future union government to settle scores with a troublesome state in the union....

In law making, bad means 'may' sometimes lead to good ends, but bad means 'will' definitely lead to bad ends. To sum up means is just as important as the end.
How exactly did Article 370 find it's way into the Constitution ? I'm sure you're aware of it. If not, do read on it & let us know your views particularly when compared to the manner in which it was withdrawn.