Air Battle over Kashmir : MiG-21 Bison shoots down F-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one can convince a person who is convinced otherwise. But if you want to state facts, state correct facts and not falsehood. That article is factually wrong. The writer makes a bold statement full of lies. Why is he lying? what is it that he is trying to hide?
Again, do you have proof to call IAF claims fact? If no then no point outraging.

Looks like Royal Jordanian Air Force also used P&W : F-16 Air Forces - Jordan

• Agree
Reactions: R!cK and Hellfire
Btw all this is shot when no one knew what exactly happened... So this cannot be doctored.... Add the video of 2 parachutes.....You will get ur answer

I think that is easily explained. Two Israeli pilots parachuted out of two LCA Tejas aircraft.

Again, do you have proof to call IAF claims fact? If no then no point outraging.

Jordan acquired F-16 Blk30 from belgium and Netherlands. Blk30 is equipped with GE engines and that is why it is called Blk30. the equivalent model with PW engines is called Blk32. These Jordanian F-16s were acquired as part of Peace Falcon-2 and transferred to Pakistan.
Pakistan, Spurned By US, Considers Offer Of Jordanian F-16 Jets

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ashwin

The F-16s transferred to PAF were ex-US Air National Guard acquired by RJAF. The same underwent upgrade at TUSAS in Turkey in 2008 if I recollect correctly.

Last edited:
Of What Publicly Available MICA RF is gen ahead Missile To AMRAAM C-5 Better Integrate them With LCA

I have no clue about relative performance, honestly. Will have to ask from those who use the concerned platforms. And frankly, in the present situation, that, asking, not only raises an eyebrow or two, but also gets a frown and, at times, a shut up call :)

Let us tag our in house experts, who I call my 'air support':

@randomradio
@Abingdonboy
@Ashwin
@Parthu

• Agree
Reactions: Gautam and NKVD
Of What Publicly Available MICA RF is gen ahead Missile To AMRAAM C-5 Better Integrate them With LCA
I Find M2K better Aircraft To engage F-16s I think We should Integrate French used Mirage-2000 in numbers to stop gap

LCA is getting the Derby and Astra Mk1, both are as good as the MICA RF. And LCA will be getting the ASRAAM for WVR, which is in many ways better than MICA IR.

• Informative
Reactions: NKVD and Hellfire
LCA is getting the Derby and Astra Mk1, both are as good as the MICA RF. And LCA will be getting the ASRAAM for WVR, which is in many ways better than MICA IR.

There, now you can feel happy @NKVD

Just tag him. See how happy he can make you feel? ;)

Rumor has it, on good authority, that @randomradio, when he was born, was inadvertently placed in, instead of a neonatal unit, the hospital's pharmacy, on the shelf with all the anti-depressants. And he became one too.

Since then, he has acquired this ability to cheer anyone up.

• Agree
Reactions: Techy and NKVD
Astra is Still in its Initial phase Its use Inertial & terminal Active Guidance While Derby has Range of 50 km compared to MICA has 80 km Published range

MICA has Speed of Mach 4 and can pull Upto 50G

I Find M2K better Aircraft To engage F-16s I think We should Integrate French used Mirage-2000 in numbers to stop gap

Currently, the AMRAAM C-5 is the best BVR missile in South Asia. MICA EM (aka RF) maybe newer, but it lacks the long-range kinematic performance of the AIM-120. But the point to note would be that, just because a missile has an effective range of say, 100km, doesn't mean it will always engage targets at that range. Most BVR engagements are unlikely to happen above 60km maximum. And within that envelope, I'd say the MICA EM might just have the edge. But I'm not sure it would retain the edge once we move to C-7, but Pakistan doesn't have those.

The Derby/Derby-ER is a great missile too, but there's only one squadron of Tejas, that too based at Sulur AFS in TN, so unless they have time to get redeployed to an FOB first, they won't be doing any shooting.

+++

Two missiles will change the game in the near, foreseeable future:

1) the Meteor on Rafale. The BVR advantage will lie truly in IAF's favor in any theatre where this bird with this missile is present. Nothing comes close, not even C-7 AMRAAMs carried by top NATO air forces.

2) Astra Mk-1. This home-made critter with its modern seeker and smokeless propulsion (more akin to AMRAAM in that regard than Russian missiles) will give teeth to the IAF's backbone Su-30MKI like never before. The R-27ER, despite the upgrades, is a dated platform, and the R-77 in my opinion is quite a sucky missile. Astra will change all that.

Currently, the AMRAAM C-5 is the best BVR missile in South Asia. MICA EM (aka RF) maybe newer, but it lacks the long-range kinematic performance of the AIM-120. But the point to note would be that, just because a missile has an effective range of say, 100km, doesn't mean it will always engage targets at that range. Most BVR engagements are unlikely to happen above 60km maximum. And within that envelope, I'd say the MICA EM might just have the edge. But I'm not sure it would retain the edge once we move to C-7, but Pakistan doesn't have those.
Well What MBDA Claimed in 2010 in their Carrier Exercises

"MICA has a multi-purpose capability consistent with carrier aircraft weapons systems and a "pull and forget" capability.
Missile MICA EM about to be mounted on a Rafale M F3 during Operation Harmattan. (© MBDA) Missile MICA EM about to be mounted on a Rafale M F3 during Operation Harmattan. (© MBDA) Electromagnetic MICA is more for long-range engagements and the Infrared MICA is more for short-range engagements. At the end of 2010, MBDA announced a remarkable success rate of 93% on 240 shots made.

Source
https://www.defense.gouv.fr/air/technologies/armement/air-air/armement-air-air

In the air-to-air armament range, the air force is also equipped with Mica missiles (interception, combat and self-defense missiles). It is, today, the missile of interception of the forces. Thanks to this technology, the institution holds two missiles with different interception capabilities: the Mica EM (electromagnetic, commissioned in 1999) and the Mica IR (infrared, in service since 2007). This armament, 100% French, is exported to four countries: Taiwan, Qatar, United Arab Emirates and Greece. This small missile of 112 kg and 3.1 meters in length is highly manoeuvrable. Multirole, it is as much used for its long range (the class of the 100 km) than for the short shots (the class of 500 meters). It can be used in interception operations, close combat and self-defense.

Source:https://www.defense.gouv.fr/air/technologies/armement/air-air/armement-air-air

MBDA Claimed in MICA
  1. Higher G load upto 50g
  2. Higher Speed (Mach 4)
  3. TVC
  4. Better NEZ
  5. MICA NG Second generation of MICA designed against stealthy targets. Infrared seeker will use a matrix sensor providing greater sensitivity. The radio frequency seeker will use an AESA

Well What MBDA Claimed in 2010 in their Carrier Exercises

"MICA has a multi-purpose capability consistent with carrier aircraft weapons systems and a "pull and forget" capability.
Missile MICA EM about to be mounted on a Rafale M F3 during Operation Harmattan. (© MBDA) Missile MICA EM about to be mounted on a Rafale M F3 during Operation Harmattan. (© MBDA) Electromagnetic MICA is more for long-range engagements and the Infrared MICA is more for short-range engagements. At the end of 2010, MBDA announced a remarkable success rate of 93% on 240 shots made.

Source
https://www.defense.gouv.fr/air/technologies/armement/air-air/armement-air-air

Nobody denied MICA was a good missile. But the AMRAAM just beats it in terms of kinematics & range.

In the air-to-air armament range, the air force is also equipped with Mica missiles (interception, combat and self-defense missiles). It is, today, the missile of interception of the forces. Thanks to this technology, the institution holds two missiles with different interception capabilities: the Mica EM (electromagnetic, commissioned in 1999) and the Mica IR (infrared, in service since 2007). This armament, 100% French, is exported to four countries: Taiwan, Qatar, United Arab Emirates and Greece. This small missile of 112 kg and 3.1 meters in length is highly manoeuvrable. Multirole, it is as much used for its long range (the class of the 100 km) than for the short shots (the class of 500 meters). It can be used in interception operations, close combat and self-defense.

Source:https://www.defense.gouv.fr/air/technologies/armement/air-air/armement-air-air

The key advantage of MICA, is how it simplifies the logistics surrounding aircraft armament. All you have to do is replace the seeker module, and your IR-guided WVR missile just became a radar-guided BVR missile.

The MICAs will serve well on both the Mirages and the Rafales, I'm sure.

The Rafale for instance, I believe will carry a mix of Meteor, MICA EM and MICA IR in an air dominance loadout.

• Informative
Reactions: Enquencher and NKVD
Status
Not open for further replies.