British/Italian Tempest (GCAP) Fighter : News and Discussion

Nooo. Rear Admiral S Ahuja. the man trained by USN for deck landings and the man who certified Mig-29K on deck. You must have seen his videos on youtube.
As no-2 in the airline and also defense biz. To finally head the defense biz.

I have a query which may sound very basic to you. Till what age do test pilots typically do testing? I always thought, test pilots would be in their 40s.

To go back on the topic of that "Tempest" aircraft, I'm very skeptical. I do not forget that the Franco-British FCAS project has been put on hold on the British side because of credit cuts.

Now of course I understand that BAE worries about its future. For a start, they haven't fully designed a combat aircraft in a long while. Their last were the Hawk and Hawk 200, the Harrier, and its variant the Sea Harrier. All others were in partnerships, including the Harrier II (with McDonnell Douglas/Boeing), the Jaguar (with Dassault-Breguet), the Tornado (in the Panavia consortium with Airbus and Leonardo), and the Typhoon (in the Eurofighter consortium with again Airbus and Leonardo). And the JSF is probably the worst deal, since they're just a subcontractor here rather than an actual partner. All the IP is safely Lockheed's. It might bring them money, but it won't help them maintain their edge, quite the opposite.

So they're looking every which way for partnerships, in the hope that making bits for a lot of different planes will be equivalent to making a full plane. That's debatable. They're trying to get things going with Turkey and with Japan, and this Tempest project is there to probe if there's an interest from the Italians. They've also hunted at projects with Saab, to probe in the direction of Sweden.

But, do you really think the British government will be able to fund all that stuff? Again, just look at the joint project with France to get an idea what will happen. London will face "political and budget uncertainty" and the international partners will be left hanging to express their disappointment.

So yeah, I firmly believe Tempest to be vaporware. I am not impressed at all by paper airplanes like those:
:ROFLMAO:

• Agree
Reactions: Angel Eyes
To go back on the topic of that "Tempest" aircraft, I'm very skeptical. I do not forget that the Franco-British FCAS project has been put on hold on the British side because of credit cuts.

Now of course I understand that BAE worries about its future. For a start, they haven't fully designed a combat aircraft in a long while. Their last were the Hawk and Hawk 200, the Harrier, and its variant the Sea Harrier. All others were in partnerships, including the Harrier II (with McDonnell Douglas/Boeing), the Jaguar (with Dassault-Breguet), the Tornado (in the Panavia consortium with Airbus and Leonardo), and the Typhoon (in the Eurofighter consortium with again Airbus and Leonardo). And the JSF is probably the worst deal, since they're just a subcontractor here rather than an actual partner. All the IP is safely Lockheed's. It might bring them money, but it won't help them maintain their edge, quite the opposite.

So they're looking every which way for partnerships, in the hope that making bits for a lot of different planes will be equivalent to making a full plane. That's debatable. They're trying to get things going with Turkey and with Japan, and this Tempest project is there to probe if there's an interest from the Italians. They've also hunted at projects with Saab, to probe in the direction of Sweden.

But, do you really think the British government will be able to fund all that stuff? Again, just look at the joint project with France to get an idea what will happen. London will face "political and budget uncertainty" and the international partners will be left hanging to express their disappointment.

So yeah, I firmly believe Tempest to be vaporware. I am not impressed at all by paper airplanes like those:
:ROFLMAO:

That image. :LOL:

Apart from stealth, this aircraft appears to have similar performance as the EF. Whats the point when future airforces are going to be about unmanned combat and hypersonics ?

Apart from stealth, this aircraft appears to have similar performance as the EF. Whats the point when future airforces are going to be about unmanned combat and hypersonics ?

Hypersonic plane fighters are still ways off.

unmanned is probably going to be integrated somehow into this system. i'd think it's what USA is doing as well.

Also, UK is good on deep strike aircraft given the F-35 purchase, so they need something with a heavy focus on A2A.

I am going to *censored* u all very soon. I have appointed one of the best test pilots of Indian navy in my company already. Just two days back. And watch it son, Rafale further orders if not signed by end of 2018, will be a pipe dream.
Are you speaking of the 110 plane for IAF or the 57 for the Navy? (or the two?)

And it is as as uggly as the EF !!!
The Spitfire'touch is forgotten in GB ... :cry:

Last edited:
Are you speaking of the 110 plane for IAF or the 57 for the Navy? (or the two?)
None of the two. Mine is a design for STOBAR carrier based fighter which will be fit for ops from CATOBAR also. It is optimized for more demanding STOBAR ops. It will be like F-35A & C. Or F-35C converted for ops from shore for IAF.

I have appointed one of the best test pilots of Indian navy in my company already. Just two days back. And watch it son, Rafale further orders if not signed by end of 2018, will be a pipe dream.
End of 2018 ?
In Indian time that means yesterday.

None of the two. Mine is a design for STOBAR carrier based fighter which will be fit for ops from CATOBAR also. It is optimized for more demanding STOBAR ops. It will be like F-35A & C. Or F-35C converted for ops from shore for IAF.
I don't understand.
You are speaking of a new order of Rafale or MSA/LSA/XYZ ?

I don't understand.
You are speaking of a new order of Rafale or MSA/LSA/XYZ ?

My design is not in conflict with any on going procurement of fighters for any service in India. 110 will go to Rafale only as far as I know. IN order is still open.

End of 2018 ?
In Indian time that means yesterday.
I work on UTC time so IST is not applicable to me. We are now going to start the full fledged work on the aircraft with a definitive design to be displayed by 2019 Aero India.