British/Italian Tempest (GCAP) Fighter : News and Discussion

Shekhar Singh

Dec 8, 2017
Varanasi
BBC News
menu

UK unveils new Tempest fighter jet model
Share this with Email Share this with Facebook Share this with Twitter Share this with Whatsapp

Image copyrightREUTERS
_102547853_mediaitem102547505.jpg

A model of the UK's planned new fighter jet, the Tempest, has been unveiled at the Farnborough Air Show.

The UK's Defence Secretary, Gavin Williamson, said the jet could be used with either pilots or as a drone.

The aircraft, which will eventually replace the existing Typhoon fighter jet, will be developed and built by BAE Systems, engine maker Rolls-Royce and Italy's Leonardo.

Mr Williamson said the UK would be investing £2bn in the new project.

The hope is to see it flying by 2035.

Mr Williamson said the programme was aimed at ensuring the UK's continued leadership in fighter technology and control of air space in future combat: "We have been a world leader in the combat air sector for a century, with an enviable array of skills and technology, and this strategy makes clear that we are determined to make sure it stays that way."

He added that the UK, currently excluded from the latest fighter programme underway between France and Germany, was not against forming a partnership with other nations: "It shows our allies that we are open to working together to protect the skies in an increasingly threatening future - and this concept model is just a glimpse into what the future could look like."

'Direction of travel'
Aeropace giant Airbus embraced the move: "Airbus welcomes the UK's commitment of funding for the future fighter project. We look forward to continuing collaborative discussions with all relevant European players."

Earlier, the chief executive of BAE Systems, Charles Woodburn, told the BBC's Today programme that the new jet would be some time in coming.

"We already have the Typhoon platform which forms the absolute bedrock of European air defence and that'll be in service for decades to come," he said.

He added that the inner workings of the new craft would start life within the Typhoon.

"The important thing about the new concept is that it will illustrate a direction of travel and many of those technologies that will be embodied in that will first see their service through the Typhoon.

"For example, upgrades on the avionics, upgrades in the weapons systems, upgrades in the radar will be deployed through the Typhoon and will be deployed there and then."

• Informative
Reactions: BMD and Parthu
So Europe now has two next gen aircraft in the works. That's good. I guess the Swedes will follow soon enough.
Sweden will link with GB. It's a too small country to developp a completely new fighter (Gripen E is mainly a larger Gripen C)

The single biggest fraud of the world is the development cost of a new fighter. Japs created XTD-2 with less than US$400M and that included the development of the engines.

• Informative
Reactions: Paro
The single biggest fraud of the world is the development cost of a new fighter. Japs created XTD-2 with less than US$400M and that included the development of the engines.

Reactions: Shekhar Singh
XTD2 is an empty shell !
No radar, no electronic support, no weapon integration (things that cost the most) : just a test bed, not very used...

Dassault made the same with rafale A : a test bed, far away from an operationnal fighter. In fact the easier part.

400 $millions including the engine? I have a GRREEAAT doubt. If it's true, stop thinking to LSA or MSA or AMCA : just ask Japan to do the job.

So 30 years from now countries will still be fighting against goat herders in the mountains using stealth-aircraft controlled drones. It seems that the F22 and YF 23 are universal blueprints for stealth platforms.

XTD2 is an empty shell !
No radar, no electronic support, no weapon integration (things that cost the most) : just a test bed, not very used...

Dassault made the same with rafale A : a test bed, far away from an operationnal fighter. In fact the easier part.

400 $millions including the engine? I have a GRREEAAT doubt. If it's true, stop thinking to LSA or MSA or AMCA : just ask Japan to do the job.
I am going to *censored* u all very soon. I have appointed one of the best test pilots of Indian navy in my company already. Just two days back. And watch it son, Rafale further orders if not signed by end of 2018, will be a pipe dream.

I am going to *censored* u all very soon. I have appointed one of the best test pilots of Indian navy in my company already. Just two days back. And watch it son, Rafale further orders if not signed by end of 2018, will be a pipe dream.

So, finally there's movement?

XTD2 is an empty shell !

They have a solid relationship with the yanks. I think it's ok for them to start this was and keep 'indegenizing' as they keep moving, increasing % of parts. Ultimately the objective is to keep as much money in country as possible. I think this strategy helps.

GB have the same skill than US : they used powerpoint to an unrivaled level ....

Besides Gavin WIlliams has a big mouth with little brains...I expect him to fully push this forward under the impression that a big presentation will automatically make it come true :)