T-90 Bhishma / T-72 Ajeya of Indian Army : News and Discussions

That has to be gone before the DAC first, then ask for Rus nod. Have we seen any report on T-90MS upgrade AoN? We do not even know the status of DRDO made APS. I did come across one work tender that felt similar work just a while ago, 60mm projectile casing, likely for the aps. But I am not sure.

Btw, I came across this recently, I am not very familiar with such workscope so would love to hear others thought/observation on it.

View attachment 25977

Seems to be pretty old.

Meant to indigenise propulsion systems across the board for Russian stuff, BMP-2, T-72 and T-90.

IA seems to be going for its own T-90 upgrade solutions instead of a Russian one.

Reactions: Sathya and marich01
Seems to be pretty old.

Meant to indigenise propulsion systems across the board for Russian stuff, BMP-2, T-72 and T-90.

IA seems to be going for its own T-90 upgrade solutions instead of a Russian one.
It was part of a consultant appointing ad last month I think. So maybe actual work will start now.

Edit: I went thru the catched version so could not find out the exact date again. CVRDE had it recently.

Last edited:
Reactions: randomradio
It was part of a consultant appointing ad last month I think. So maybe actual work will start now.

Edit: I went thru the catched version so could not find out the exact date again. CVRDE had it recently.

It would be weird if they still haven't ordered Arjun's engines then. Ah, well, anyway new tech for the IA.

Well personally to be honest I dont know anything about tanks in the force for long I thought india was operating damn 2000+t 90 and tanks and more than 1000 arjun mbt and also thought that the abrams are the t 90s as shown in the youtube thumbnail. Just last month only I got to know just a little bit about the defence
But still I got some confusion as how man t90,t72,arjun, t55 india currently has, what kinds of versions we use , how much are still in order , what are we planning to order next , are we going to order t 13 armata and what is FICV??

Well personally to be honest I dont know anything about tanks in the force for long I thought india was operating damn 2000+t 90 and tanks and more than 1000 arjun mbt and also thought that the abrams are the t 90s as shown in the youtube thumbnail. Just last month only I got to know just a little bit about the defence
But still I got some confusion as how man t90,t72,arjun, t55 india currently has, what kinds of versions we use , how much are still in order , what are we planning to order next , are we going to order t 13 armata and what is FICV??
Look up wikipedia references for Indian army equipment. Welcome to the forum.

Look up wikipedia references for Indian army equipment. Welcome to the forum.
First i looked up on wikipedia only but there it is showing india operates 2000+ t 90 and also m ans MS varient but when I saw some different articles it is showing some different results so idk whom to believe and I also cannot find more info about t 14 deal

First i looked up on wikipedia only but there it is showing india operates 2000+ t 90 and also m ans MS varient but when I saw some different articles it is showing some different results so idk whom to believe and I also cannot find more info about t 14 deal

We have 310 + 300 + 347 + 236 + 464 tanks ordered. Only the 464 order is pending, it's T-90S.

There was incorrect news about an additional 354/464 T-90MS, so your confusion is understandable.

T-14 deal is fake news too. Russia's offered a customised version for the FRCV program. In any case, an export version is yet to be developed.

Interestingly, the Chinese have a new 4th gen tank with 2 crew members, it's nearly ready.

Welcome to the forum.

We have 310 + 300 + 347 + 236 + 464 tanks ordered. Only the 464 order is pending, it's T-90S.

There was incorrect news about an additional 354/464 T-90MS, so your confusion is understandable.

T-14 deal is fake news too. Russia's offered a customised version for the FRCV program. In any case, an export version is yet to be developed.

Interestingly, the Chinese have a new 4th gen tank with 2 crew members, it's nearly ready.

Welcome to the forum.
Ooh thank you for clearing my doubts
Another thing why did we gave so less orders of arjun tanks or are we gonna order additional arjun tanks and in the near future if we are gonna replace the t 72 tanks with ficv why just 1700 tanks as we currently have more than 2500 t 72s if I m not wrong and why does our t 72s look so obsolete compared to the russian ones?

why did we gave so less orders of arjun tanks
Its Complicated Long Story GIF by VCG Construction

Reactions: randomradio
Ooh thank you for clearing my doubts
Another thing why did we gave so less orders of arjun tanks or are we gonna order additional arjun tanks and in the near future if we are gonna replace the t 72 tanks with ficv why just 1700 tanks as we currently have more than 2500 t 72s if I m not wrong and why does our t 72s look so obsolete compared to the russian ones?

Arjun didn't meet specs, it wasn't part of the army's modernisation plans as well. Had the tank been below 55T and a quarter meter less wide, it would have found a larger space within the IA. Arjun 2, NGMBT, could meet the IA's FMBT specs.

Except for the gun, our upgraded T-72s are on roughly the same level as the latest Russian T-72. In some areas, it's being improved even further, like a new automatic transmission.

As for 1700 T-72s, my theory is the remaining 600 or so T-72s will be replaced with Arjun 2, and the rest with FRCV. Our oldest T-72s are nealy 40 years old, there's no point in upgrading them. The remaining T-72s have another 15-25 years left in them.

Reactions: Multicellular man
Arjun didn't meet specs, it wasn't part of the army's modernisation plans as well. Had the tank been below 55T and a quarter meter less wide, it would have found a larger space within the IA. Arjun 2, NGMBT, could meet the IA's FMBT specs.

Except for the gun, our upgraded T-72s are on roughly the same level as the latest Russian T-72. In some areas, it's being improved even further, like a new automatic transmission.

As for 1700 T-72s, my theory is the remaining 600 or so T-72s will be replaced with Arjun 2, and the rest with FRCV. Our oldest T-72s are nealy 40 years old, there's no point in upgrading them. The remaining T-72s have another 15-25 years left in them.
Ooh ok thank you for clearing some of my doubts

Reactions: marich01
I guess its sort of desi jugaad with increased firepower ?
Don't know much about this stuff, but feels like upgrading existing hulls to t90 class firepower wise, instead of full built t90 from scratch.
Ooh its like the ajeya mk2
We have like 2400 t-72's with only a 1000 upgraded to CIA standard.
Only 1000 cia’s i thought the number was around 1500 and the rest getting upgraded to ajeya mk2

Reactions: marich01