Tejas Mk2 (Medium Weight Fighter) - News and discussions

Kuch Bhi !. IAF has no control over these funds because its not go from their bucket to ADA. IAF does not fund any projects, MoD does.

The IAF should have enough influence over some sections of the MoD to sway them, even if temporarily. In any case, I've already said that I don't believe the news is true, because that's the only real way to delay a DRDO program.

It's easy to just say it but not so easy to execute. Even with say 90 billion USD budget the CAPEX available will be questionable. And we do have a lot to pay for.

A lot. And then there's inflation+ double taxation.

The defence budget is very likely to stagnate at that level though.

Capex today is $20B. If we double that, we get $40B. It's more than enough to get everything we want and even more for a two-front war, including the full mechanisation of the army.

So mk1a will replace mig21
Mk2 is M2k replacement, is that so?
Its what everyone including IAF officially has been speaking. Tejas MK2 will be replacment for Mirage 2000I , Mig29UPG and Jaguar Darin 3.

Tejas MK1A will be replacement for the 4 Mig21 Bison squadrons which are supposed to retire by 2025.

Su30 has replaced a lot of Mig23 and Mig21 squadrons.

The remaining Mig23, Mig27 and Jaguar Darin 2 squadrons are to be replaced by MRFA.

All these together will keep us at 35.

AMCA will be a counter to a new threats and should help us reach 42.

Reactions: Hydra
The IAF should have enough influence over some sections of the MoD to sway them, even if temporarily. In any case, I've already said that I don't believe the news is true, because that's the only real way to delay a DRDO program.
If services have any influence on babus, they will be pushing for long delayed procurements. Not stop funding for ADA projects. 😒

1655230130809.png

@vstol Jockey, @randomradio, @Ashwin

Tejas Mk-2. Supposedly different from earlier model.

The intake has been moved forward to the centerline of the canard, possibly due to an obstruction in airflow caused by the canard. Just a wild guess

This Uttam Mk 2 will be ready before the MK 2 Tejas itself

So it can be used for SU 30 upgradation
The one used in Su30MKI will be a bit different. There are internal studies going on to decide which configuration to use. Hopefully that's decided soon so that development work can start.

Tejas MK2 and Su30MKI both will have an AESA that should be able to fool the RWRs of current generation. That's why development will take time.

Americans are pioneers in research here. They got this capability 3-4 decades ago. When I think no one apart from Americans themselves had the AESA functionality.

The Chinese RWR will not know when an F35 lights it up. Atleast the oncs currently in service.

Tejas MK2 and Su30MKI both will have an AESA that should be able to fool the RWRs of current generation. That's why development will take time.

Americans are pioneers in research here. They got this capability 3-4 decades ago. When I think no one apart from Americans themselves had the AESA functionality.

The Chinese RWR will not know when an F35 lights it up. Atleast the oncs currently in service.

I think the Japanese were first, with the J/APG-1. They were also the first to stick an AESA seeker into an AAM, called the AAM-4B.

But the Americans operationalised AESA first because it came in as an upgrade, whereas the Japanese program was part of the F-2 fighter development.