United States Military Aviation

• Informative
Reactions: Gautam

Obviously none of us have any clue, but the speculation skews towards a radar test model for the USAF's NGAD program (not to be confused with the Navy's NGAD, which is a different program). I'm not inclined to believe the speculation though, it's probably just one of many test articles.

message-editor%2F1632330494855-uqnidvj2rjadbhlnuyv3gu55i4.jpeg

It's being moved uncovered in broad daylight and someone was allowed near it with a camera in their possession, after years of working for a defence company, I can tell you whatever it is isn't highly classified, even if it's not been seen before. The facility it's located at, Lockheed's Helendale radar cross-section measurement range, has underground hangers and storage where classified programs are lowered underground on hydraulic lifts during daylight, and are typically only moved covered up and at night. If it needed to stay hidden it would have.

jadh25.jpg

message-editor%2F1510276461862-jahdh5.jpg

It wasn't being treated in a manner consistent with highly classified programs, especially considering we're talking about a country that takes military security more seriously then anyone else, but it's still likely connected to future fighter or UAV programs, just not anywhere near a final model.

I wouldn't get too excited, it's likely nothing special.

Last edited:
Obviously none of us have any clue, but the speculation skews towards a radar test model for the USAF's NGAD program (not to be confused with the Navy's NGAD, which is a different program). I'm not inclined to believe the speculation though, it's probably just one of many test articles.

It's being moved uncovered in broad daylight and someone was allowed near it with a camera in their possession, after years of working for a defence company, I can tell you whatever it is isn't highly classified, even if it's not been seen before. The facility it's located at, Lockheed's Helendale radar cross-section measurement range, has underground hangers and storage where classified programs are lowered underground on hydraulic lifts during daylight, and are typically only moved covered up and at night. If it needed to stay hidden it would have.

jadh25.jpg

It wasn't being treated in a manner consistent with highly classified programs, especially considering we're talking about a country that takes military security more seriously then anyone else, but it's still likely connected to future fighter or UAV programs, just not anywhere near a final model.

Exactly. When the US wants to make a point/send a message to "enemies" they fly their black project aircraft in broad daylight in perfect weather at con altitude for all to see.

hy535098b1.png

Classified is not the same as black budget programs and in 2014 it was leaked that DOD black budget was $60billion.

President Obama proposed a $495.6 billion defense budget yesterday, almost half a billion dollars leaner than the previous year’s. But there’s still one category where the Department of Defense is not scaling back: its secret projects.

According to the budget documents, the DoD plans to spend around $58.7 billion on classified programs (fondly known as its “black budget”) in fiscal year 2015, a 1.5 percent increase from the previous year.

I think it's likely at $100 billion right now with a lot of it going here...
nn_08_pw_area51_130816.nbcnews-fp-1024-512.jpg

Or this could be the so-called "distraction base" where everyone focuses on.

Reactions: BMD

jadh25.jpg

The last picture is just the RCS pole cap.