Does anybody remember these items from school days?

safriz

Jan 1, 2018
UK, Pakistan
EEl4o_EXkAAOzbK.jpg
EEl4o_EXkAAOzbK.jpg

il_794xN.2676345685_pj1o.jpg

ink-bottle-250x250.jpg

What are the names of the objects in India?
We used to call these.
Takhtee
Qalam
Dawaat

There is a fourth item, the white clay. We called it "Gaachee"
Same. At least in Varanasi north India my native place. Takhtee for board, still call it same. Qalam or Narkat (a plant's branch) ka pen and Dawaat or Davaat for ink storage. I am not familiar with Gaachee word though. Next generation nowadays calls it clay directly.

Reactions: _Anonymous_
I have used Ink bottle

We had ink pens from Grade 5 onwards , compulsorily

No ball pens allowed

Learning to Change pen nibs was
A huge achievement at age of 10 🤣

Filling ink with dropper was the first lab experience at age of 10 🤣

The ink stains on school uniforms and books made us cry

We used to steal chalks and used them as missiles on our friends

• Haha
Reactions: RISING SUN
Same. At least in Varanasi north India my native place. Takhtee for board, still call it same. Qalam or Narkat (a plant's branch) ka pen and Dawaat or Davaat for ink storage. I am not familiar with Gaachee word though. Next generation nowadays calls it clay directly.
Wow.
"Narkat"?
In our local dialect we call reeds "Naar" or "Nariyaa". We used to cut the Naar and make Qalam from it. Basically Narkat, but we just called it Qalam.

On a side note, I still have a deep scar on my finger, which was made by a Reed.
These plants can be dangerous. I pulled the stem and the splinter went through my finger.

Wow.
"Narkat"?
In our local dialect we call reeds "Naar" or "Nariyaa". We used to cut the Naar and make Qalam from it. Basically Narkat, but we just called it Qalam.

On a side note, I still have a deep scar on my finger, which was made by a Reed.
These plants can be dangerous. I pulled the stem and the splinter went through my finger.
We used to call Nariya to a object which was used (prevalent two decades back, very less seen nowadays) to cover the roof and rain water is channelled safely to edges of roof from where it goes like water falls during downpour.
In broken Hindi Nariya Thapua (you can call it Awadhi, Banarasi etc.).

Banaras me kahan ghar hau bhaiya. Mila kahiyo assi par.

• Haha
Reactions: AbRaj
Wow.
"Narkat"?

Takhti= patri
Qalam= narkat ka kalam, hindi wali, ganit wali( 2 sets)
Dawaat= yahan bhi daawat.
But chalk paste was used instead of ink.
Dhaga was used to draw straight lines.
Black color from bottom of tava and pan was used to color the patari and bottom of the Dawat was rubbed on the surface to make it shine.

Takhti= patri
Qalam= narkat ka kalam, hindi wali, ganit wali( 2 sets)
Dawaat= yahan bhi daawat.
But chalk paste was used instead of ink.
Dhaga was used to draw straight lines.
Black color from bottom of tava and pan was used to color the patari and bottom of the Dawat was rubbed on the surface to make it shine.
Interesting.
Now that you mentioned, I also remember mixing some black crystal in water and pouring in the Dawaat.
Wasn't ready-made ink

Reactions: Shekhar Singh
20210225_104815.jpg

Bought this childhood legend.
Dollar fountain pen. Cost me 3 quid. But now I am finding that fountain pen ink pot is a novelty item now and not many retailers sell these anymore. In shops the cheapest I could find was 9£.
Bought some online. Let's see.
20210226_163224.jpg

Last edited: