British/Italian Tempest (GCAP) Fighter : News and Discussion

Sorry but I worked for BAE SYSTEMS and Typhoon aircraft performance specification was classified SECRET, even as an employee I couldn't view it because it wasn't my project,
This proves that it is better to hide the true performance of the Typhoon, especially from the employees, as this would risk demoralizing them. :ROFLMAO:

Look at the state of the Luftwaffe in terms of available aircraft and then rethink that statement. The UK should stick with Italy, too many cooks spoil the broth, see Eurofighter for details.
That's what I always presumed. The British typhoons are the only functioning ones out of all of them the Germans have realised they can't fight. But looking at how the Tempest programme is going this seems bound to be a failure. I hope the swedes do their marketing well enough to save this project. The programme does seem ambitious and I would love if we become a partner but too many of the partner countries are untrustworthy and any way we won't contribute much to the program along with how costly it is going to be looking at the typhoon..

Last edited:
This proves that it is better to hide the true performance of the Typhoon, especially from the employees, as this would risk demoralizing them. :ROFLMAO:
Err no.... it's just normal practice.
And they still have a deficit.

Yes, basic detection ranges for radars are public knowledge.

Even the LCA does that.
They can afford it.

Nope, they are not, that would be a performance parameter that's way more significant in the modern age of air combat than basic aircraft performance at different loads and altitudes. You're talking garbage. Meteor's true maximum range is also classified for the same reason.

Evidence?

That's what I always presumed. The British typhoons are the only functioning ones out of all of them the Germans have realised they can't fight. But looking at how the Tempest programme is going this seems bound to be a failure. I hope the swedes do their marketing well enough to save this project. The programme does seem ambitious and I would love if we become a partner but too many of the partner countries are untrustworthy and any way we won't contribute much to the program along with how costly it is going to be looking at the typhoon..
All Luftwaffe aircraft are in a poor state of operability.

You really can't tell anything at this stage.

I think we're best sticking with one good partner. More than 2 partners is a good way to fnck up a project, it's one of the things that made the F-22 so expensive and led to cancellation - they built parts of it in 48 different states and then put them together.

All Luftwaffe aircraft are in a poor state of operability.

You really can't tell anything at this stage.

I think we're best sticking with one good partner. More than 2 partners is a good way to fnck up a project, it's one of the things that made the F-22 so expensive and led to cancellation - they built parts of it in 48 different states and then put them together.
It would be better if you guys make a concrete deal with the Italians and Swedes and select an opening export partner(most likely a gulf country) and start working on the project...

It would be better if you guys make a concrete deal with the Italians and Swedes and select an opening export partner(most likely a gulf country) and start working on the project...
GB and Italy face army budget problems (F35 is and will remain the biggest). SAAB has only frame skill. It's a weak trio.

GB and Italy face army budget problems (F35 is and will remain the biggest). SAAB has only frame skill. It's a weak trio.
Saab can make the data link and sensor fusion which they are good at. Italy will make the rest of radar and electronics. And U.K can handle the rest from the engine to the frame to the weapons package. Budget problems is a good enough reason though. The project is far too ambitious and the partners are all a bit cash strapped. A gulf partner could change that though.

Err no.... it's just normal practice.

They can afford it.

Nope, they are not, that would be a performance parameter that's way more significant in the modern age of air combat than basic aircraft performance at different loads and altitudes. You're talking garbage. Meteor's true maximum range is also classified for the same reason.

Evidence?
Yet you tried to convince us to believe this:
According to a calculation by a senior EADS radar expert, the Captor-E, which will use 1,426 T/R modules and is scheduled to be integrated onto the Eurofighter Typhoon in 2015, is capable of recognizing the F-35 at around 59 kilometers away.
Are we to conclude that it was a joke?

We have a deal with the Italians.
Defence spending has gone up 7%, and we just saved billions by leaving the EU, we may save even more money if Scotland leaves.

Yet you tried to convince us to believe this:

Are we to conclude that it was a joke?
That was my point, different articles say different things, actual performance data is classified. The number of TRMs however is just marketing bumf, it's like saying how many lines of code were used. It doesn't tell you anything, the only reason you'd hide it is if there aren't many modules, because that's bad for marketing. ;)

Yes, relative to France, those great software geniuses....:rolleyes:
I'm not the only one to think that they lack skills, calling on universities for the pentagon is rather shameful, isn't it?

F-35’s Buggy Software Prompts Pentagon to Call in Universities

• Johns Hopkins, Carnegie Mellon, Georgia Tech providing advice
  • F-35 program office to give status assessment by Feb. 28
The Pentagon has tapped the software expertise of three top U.S. universities to assess what still must be done to fix balky software on Lockheed Martin Corp.’s F-35, the costliest U.S. weapons system.

An independent technical assessment is being executed by software subject matter experts from the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab, the Carnegie Mellon University Software Engineering Institute, and the Georgia Tech Research Institute, according to F-35 program spokeswoman Laura Seal.

The F-35 is a flying computer. Each of the fighter jets made by Bethesda, Maryland-based Lockheed will have more than 8 million lines of code, more than any previous U.S. or allied fighter, and software flaws have bedeviled the $398 billion program.

After “analyzing a broad range of information,” including the assessment from the university experts, the Defense Department’s F-35 program office plans to report new dates for program milestones by the end of this month, Seal said in an email.

That will include a date to start crucial, and repeatedly delayed, combat testing in a highly sophisticated simulator to evaluate how the F-35 -- and future aircraft and electronic warfare systems -- would perform against the most advanced Russian and Chinese aircraft and air defenses.

It will probably be months into President Joe Biden’s administration before his Pentagon team has all the information needed to decide on full-rate production, the most lucrative phase for Lockheed.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin is likely to recuse himself from any F-35 decisions because he had served on the board of F-35 engine maker United Technologies Corp. since 2016 and then Raytheon Technologies Corp. for about nine months after the two merged last year. He has left that position.

The Pentagon’s annual F-35 Selected Acquistion Report says the U.S. estimates it will spend $66.4 billion on the F-35’s engine program.

My own take at this point is that it's probably been infected with a virus, nothing takes this long to debug unless it's changing during the debugging.

1614026033565.png

Reactions: Hydra

Oh golly!! Finally, BJ putting the money where his mouth is. This must call for massive celebrations, Paddy. I think a public holiday ought to be declared. It's raining good news in the midst of all that doom & gloom. The defence industry particularly BAe must be welcoming Christmas in March !! Now if only he bailed out RR. @BMD

RR will likely get the engine contract.
The said engine would take more than a decade to deliver. RR's in a soup N-O-W. Hence they require to be bailed out N-O-W.

You're in luck. With SAFRAN playing hard to get, our MoD which's already signed a MoU with RR may just sign an agreement provided RR gives them what they want & as usual India'd have bailed out RR. If not, BJ would've to scrape the bottom of the barrel. I suspect even that wouldn't do it for RR.

In which case, it's put up the family jewels for sale time with P&W, GE & SAFRAN being the suitors. My guess is SAFRAN stands a good chance. BJ is a bit of a Francophile too, I understand.