Maritime Patrol Aircraft : P-8I Neptune, Dornier-228 : News & Discussions

Arakkonam aces

Female officers from the P-81 crew talk about their journeys and experiences

58-Arakkonam.jpg

Members of Squadron 312A and the P-81 aircraft at the naval air station in Arakkonam, Tamil Nadu

61-Women-Observers.jpg

- 9th P8i delivered to IN

- 2 LDP instead of 4 planned

India gets a new long-range P-8I patrol aircraft​

The Navy on Wednesday received the first of the four new P-8I long-range maritime patrol aircraft, which are packed with sensors and weapons to hunt submarines, at its air station in Goa from the US.

The other three P-8I, under the $1.1 billion contract signed with the US in July 2016, will be delivered next year. While these four new P-8Is will be based at INS Hansa in Goa for the western seaboard, the eight such aircraft acquired earlier are deployed at INS Rajalii inArakkonam (Tamil Nadu) for the eastern one.

With a maximum speed of 907 kmph and an operating range of 1,200 nautical miles, “with four hours on station”, the P-8Is provide the reach and flexibility to undertake extensive maritime surveillance and intelligence-gathering missions.

India, incidentally, is now also finalizing the acquisition of six more P-8Is for $1.8 billion from the US. These six planes will have more advanced systems as a result of India signing the COMCASA (Communications, Compatibility and Security Arrangement) pact with the US in September 2018, as was reported by TOI earlier.

India gets a new long-range P-8I patrol aircraft​

The Navy on Wednesday received the first of the four new P-8I long-range maritime patrol aircraft, which are packed with sensors and weapons to hunt submarines, at its air station in Goa from the US.

The other three P-8I, under the $1.1 billion contract signed with the US in July 2016, will be delivered next year. While these four new P-8Is will be based at INS Hansa in Goa for the western seaboard, the eight such aircraft acquired earlier are deployed at INS Rajalii inArakkonam (Tamil Nadu) for the eastern one.

With a maximum speed of 907 kmph and an operating range of 1,200 nautical miles, “with four hours on station”, the P-8Is provide the reach and flexibility to undertake extensive maritime surveillance and intelligence-gathering missions.

India, incidentally, is now also finalizing the acquisition of six more P-8Is for $1.8 billion from the US. These six planes will have more advanced systems as a result of India signing the COMCASA (Communications, Compatibility and Security Arrangement) pact with the US in September 2018, as was reported by TOI earlier.
Anyone , will these 4 be used to raise a new squadron or will be part of Il38 squadron?

Most probably a new squadron. Based out of the same place (INS Hansa, Dabolim, Goa) as the INAS315 squadron having the Il38.
There was to be a 2nd training center set up in Kochi for P8I aircrafts. Are there enough facilities or infrastructure in Kochi to house the 3rd P8I squadron sometime in future ? (Considering the original plan called for 22-24 aircrafts, enough for upto 3 squadrons)

There was to be a 2nd training center set up in Kochi for P8I aircrafts. Are there enough facilities or infrastructure in Kochi to house the 3rd P8I squadron sometime in future ? (Considering the original plan called for 22-24 aircrafts, enough for upto 3 squadrons)
INS Garuda in Kochi had a civil aviation enclave in it until 1999. It was moved to the Cochin International Airport later. The runway and taxiway facility for P-8Is already exists. Unless the Navy tore apart the hangars of the civil aircrafts, the hangars likely exists too.

There will be a need for expanding the facility if a whole squadron P-8Is are to operate from there. But setting up a new base would be far more expensive.

Confirmation from Scramble Magzine, INAS315 winged stallion will indeed get the new P8I aircrafts. Initially the P8I will operate together with Il38SD for some time, after which the Il38SD will be replaced by the upcoming purchase of additional P8I aircraft.

Reactions: Gautam
INS Garuda in Kochi had a civil aviation enclave in it until 1999. It was moved to the Cochin International Airport later. The runway and taxiway facility for P-8Is already exists. Unless the Navy tore apart the hangars of the civil aircrafts, the hangars likely exists too.

INS Garuda with it's 1.8 km runway is inadequate for P 8I. There is no possibility for a runway extension either, which is why Cochin International Airport was built in the first place.

The Navy have already set up a Naval enclave at Cochin International Airport.

Naval Air Enclave at CIAL begins regular ops

Enclv_6.jpg

INS Garuda with it's 1.8 km runway is inadequate for P 8I. There is no possibility for a runway extension either, which is why Cochin International Airport was built in the first place.

The Navy have already set up a Naval enclave at Cochin International Airport.

Naval Air Enclave at CIAL begins regular ops

View attachment 18701

Oh.. this is interesting. We will see a role reversal then. From having civilian air traffic at a military airport to now military aircrafts deployed in a civilian airport.

Reactions: aditya g and Amal
Years ago I saw P-8I in all its glory .
Talked to the crew who told me that the aircraft relies primarily on cameras for detection of Submarine.
It has cameras which can see wavelengths which can travel through water and can be picked up be cameras.

The concept and use of these aircrafts is different from what we the general public think.
These are not "Submarine detection " aircrafts rather pinpointing tools.

The aircraft cannot be sent out in the open open to detect a Submarine.
The initial detection has to be done by shore, ship or Submarine based sonars.
Usually arrays of sonars which triangle the enemy Submarine to a finite area.
Once it has been established that enemy Submarine is lurking in a certain area, then these aircrafts are sent to that finite area to "Pinpoint " the enemy Submarine.

Years ago I saw P-8I in all its glory .
Talked to the crew who told me that the aircraft relies primarily on cameras for detection of Submarine.
It has cameras which can see wavelengths which can travel through water and can be picked up be cameras.

The concept and use of these aircrafts is different from what we the general public think.
These are not "Submarine detection " aircrafts rather pinpointing tools.

The aircraft cannot be sent out in the open open to detect a Submarine.
The initial detection has to be done by shore, ship or Submarine based sonars.
Usually arrays of sonars which triangle the enemy Submarine to a finite area.
Once it has been established that enemy Submarine is lurking in a certain area, then these aircrafts are sent to that finite area to "Pinpoint " the enemy Submarine.
If that's the case, why do they carry a SAR strapped to their underbelly? Besides, these aircrafts are also used for AEW operations on land i.e - they're patrolling the LAC since the past 6 months or more. They were also utilised in the post 27th Feb scenario on the LoC, IIRC.

Reactions: Killbot
If that's the case, why do they carry a SAR strapped to their underbelly? Besides, these aircrafts are also used for AEW operations on land i.e - they're patrolling the LAC since the past 6 months or more. They were also utilised in the post 27th Feb scenario on the LoC, IIRC.
P8 I for AEW? 😝😝😝
Its used around LAC for ground mapping or troop movement detection. Nothing to do with AEW.

P8 I for AEW? 😝😝😝
Its used around LAC for ground mapping or troop movement detection. Nothing to do with AEW.
In addition to ASW, it has secondary ISR & AEW capabilities too. Homework for you. Read the thread right from the beginning. All the info you need for its secondary & tertiary capabilities are right here.

Reactions: Killbot
P8 I for AEW? 😝😝😝
Never heard of a Maritime patrol aircraft being used for AEW.
Having SAR is in line with its primary function of large area scanning, as SAR helps in detection of small boats and snorkeling submarine at sea. That can be used on land too.
But AEW??

Having SAR is in line with its primary function of large area scanning, as SAR helps in detection of small boats and snorkeling submarine at sea. That can be used on land too.
But AEW??
Part of the reason why I don't get into technical discussions or disputes is coz I log in thru my cell & not a laptop or computer meaning I don't keep a database full of ready information & photos to create a thread , build a case or refute a point & also coz information of this kind isn't easily available on the net except perhaps from rival forums which present it's own set of ethical dilemmas if used out here for reasons too well known to be gotten into.

Veterans here would recall heated discussions on this very issue between @Falcon & a few others held on I-D-F more than 3 yrs ago - a site since defunct (?) & out here a couple of years ago , where one fine night Falcon cleaned up along with all his posts deleting his previous handle Hellfire & creating a new one - Falcon. Gone with it were all the discussions on P-8i's ISR & AEW capabilities. Incidentally, Falcon rates it's AEW abilities a few notches higher than the Phalcons we possess ( his words, not mine)

Perhaps @vstol Jockey can shed some more light on the topic.

While I usually avoid what I'm about to do, I spent half an hour looking for evidence to back up my claims but couldn't find any & this is what I had to finally settle for, courtesy BRF. With due apologies in advance to the management.

IMG_20201223_124140.jpg
IMG_20201223_124119.jpg
IMG_20201223_124049.jpg

Last edited:
But AEW??
Neither me too.
Afaik,if you put a radar on slow moving aircraft like b737,it will not make an aew. Yeah since all radar is capable of detecting reflected radar wave it may pick the aircraft reflected radio waves at favourable conditions. JSTAR used to see reflected radar wavws from enemy aircraft during gulfwar, but it as good as weather forcasting dopler radr picking an aircraft flying near to that, nothing more nothing less.

Reactions: safriz
Neither me too.
Afaik,if you put a radar on slow moving aircraft like b737,it will not make an aew. Yeah since all radar is capable of detecting reflected radar wave it may pick the aircraft reflected radio waves at favourable conditions. JSTAR used to see reflected radar wavws from enemy aircraft during gulfwar, but it as good as weather forcasting dopler radr picking an aircraft flying near to that, nothing more nothing less.
I wanted to post an emoticon or a meme, but what's the point. 2 years down the line you'd be asking the same questions to someone else that you're posing today.