South Indian Politics : Discussions

Jallikattu is India's officially nominated film for the 2021 Oscar Awards in the category of best foreign language Film.

Congratulations to Lilo Jose Pelliserry, one of the most original voices in cinema to emerge not only from India but world cinema. Hope this auteur gets due recognition of his enormous talents, puts Malayalam cinema on the map & makes India proud.

This is all that was left. We've long put up with regionalism. Welcome to sub regionalism.
Though I am not native from that region but my company is Karnataka based, hence most of colleagues come from either Kannada or Tulu speaking language family. Both are unique, however it is true indeed that Tulu is not given equal treatment either. Shetty or Shet people mostly come from Tulu speaking language and those north Karnataka natives do tend arrange extravaganza marriage ceremony & yes dowry is prevalent too. While those in southern part are not that much over spender in marriage & less & less dowry as well. In one community Poojari, women are even owner of the house post marriage legally & socially and it's exact opposite in gender role as compared to north system. So there are unique differences among them. Southerners tend to call northerners greedy by this logic, hence unspoken & unofficial persecution. My personal observation so far based on last 6 years of time spent with concerned team.

Though I am not native from that region but my company is Karnataka based, hence most of colleagues come from either Kannada or Tulu speaking language family. Both are unique, however it is true indeed that Tulu is not given equal treatment either. Shetty or Shet people mostly come from Tulu speaking language and those north Karnataka natives do tend arrange extravaganza marriage ceremony & yes dowry is prevalent too. While those in southern part are not that much over spender in marriage & less & less dowry as well. In one community Poojari, women are even owner of the house post marriage legally & socially and it's exact opposite in gender role as compared to north system. So there are unique differences among them. Southerners tend to call northerners greedy by this logic, hence unspoken & unofficial persecution. My personal observation so far based on last 6 years of time spent with concerned team.
The Tulu Nadu issue is more of a demand for a linguistic state than an ethnic state.

There are no Shet people that I know of. Shetty , Rai,Hegde, Punja, Bhandari, Banga, Gambhir etc are common surnames of people collectively known as Bunts or Nadavas who populate both traditional Tulu Nadu & areas immediately North of it. Basically the same castes & religions populate the areas immediately North of traditional Tulu Nadu.The dispute is more about linguistic hegemony of Kannada over Tulu than regionalism.

Exorbitant sums paid & asked for as Dowry was usually the case with Bunts . It used to be a status symbol too .Not anymore though.

What you're referring to is the matrilineal system or Alia Santhana followed by Bunts, Billavas, etc also known as Marumakkhatyam in Kerala usually followed by the Nairs. The married groom went to reside in the bride's house. All This was the case in the pre independence India post which the Hindu code ,marriage & succession act rules came into effect & is now universally followed. Women have & still do enjoy a traditionally higher social standing in these communities.

Now to come back to the issue at hand, the region of Tulu Nadu is a rather unique place also home to other linguistic groups such as Beary Muslims who have their own distinct language, Gaud Saraswat & Saraswat Brahmins & Catholics who speak Konkani , themselves refugees from Goa during the Inquisition there in the 16 th century.

Put together all these groups too form a significant minority out there. What's to prevent them from asking for a separate state too? Plus the demand for Tulu Nadu extends to include Kasargode which is a district in Kerala. The cumulative area of Tulu Nadu comprises 2 districts of Karnataka & 1 in Kerala.Then there's the adjacent district of Kodagu or Coorg with it's own language & demand for a separate state albeit on a lower level as compared to Tulu Nadu.

If such demands are granted, pretty soon every linguistic group will be up in arms demanding their own state. Do You see the problem?!!

huh..seriously , do you know how many ppl speak tulu?
I have no idea honestly speaking as I am not native from that region. Though many people there did took me as one of them as my sir name matches with theirs, hence their confusion on my identity. All the limited understanding I have, comes from my office staff discussion only as I have mentioned already in previous post again. Nothing more nothing less.
The Tulu Nadu issue is more of a demand for a linguistic state than an ethnic state.

There are no Shet people that I know of. Shetty , Rai,Hegde, Punja, Bhandari, Banga, Gambhir etc are common surnames of people collectively known as Bunts or Nadavas who populate both traditional Tulu Nadu & areas immediately North of it. Basically the same castes & religions populate the areas immediately North of traditional Tulu Nadu.The dispute is more about linguistic hegemony of Kannada over Tulu than regionalism.

Exorbitant sums paid & asked for as Dowry was usually the case with Bunts . It used to be a status symbol too .Not anymore though.

What you're referring to is the matrilineal system or Alia Santhana followed by Bunts, Billavas, etc also known as Marumakkhatyam in Kerala usually followed by the Nairs. The married groom went to reside in the bride's house. All This was the case in the pre independence India post which the Hindu code ,marriage & succession act rules came into effect & is now universally followed. Women have & still do enjoy a traditionally higher social standing in these communities.

Now to come back to the issue at hand, the region of Tulu Nadu is a rather unique place also home to other linguistic groups such as Beary Muslims who have their own distinct language, Gaud Saraswat & Saraswat Brahmins & Catholics who speak Konkani , themselves refugees from Goa during the Inquisition there in the 16 th century.

Put together all these groups too form a significant minority out there. What's to prevent them from asking for a separate state too? Plus the demand for Tulu Nadu extends to include Kasargode which is a district in Kerala. The cumulative area of Tulu Nadu comprises 2 districts of Karnataka & 1 in Kerala.Then there's the adjacent district of Kodagu or Coorg with it's own language & demand for a separate state albeit on a lower level as compared to Tulu Nadu.

If such demands are granted, pretty soon every linguistic group will be up in arms demanding their own state. Do You see the problem?!!

Agreed with most of your observations too. And yes there are Tulu speaking native people with Shet sirname here, one of them my ex-boss, very humble & down to earth person.

Rajini kanth declined to enter politics.

Since his kidneys failed, he is having transplanted kidney and under immunosuppression.

It's wise he don't make a new political party. Rather support the best political party that's available, who in turn gives some seat to his choice of candidates and agenda.

He was my First choice for TN future.

BTW so many important people are failing their kidneys..

Late Arun Jaitley
Late Sushma swaraj

Now Rajinikanth..

Reactions: JustCurious
Rajini kanth declined to enter politics.

Since his kidneys failed, he is having transplanted kidney and under immunosuppression.

It's wise he don't make a new political party. Rather support the best political party that's available, who in turn gives some seat to his choice of candidates and agenda.

He was my First choice for TN future.

BTW so many important people are failing their kidneys..

Late Arun Jaitley
Late Sushma swaraj

Now Rajinikanth..
Is this confirmed news?

Yep , Ranjinikanth himself tweeted.

In tamil, hence not posting it here.
IMG_20201229_175022.jpg

Hindi will definitely grow in TN at its own pace, but damn sure we will oppose if it's imposed.

Positive growth & development politics will win hearts easily.
Bro, tell me honestly what kind of “Hindi imposition” are you facing? Is it Hindi being used as third language on signboards ? Or some bank using dual language forms ?
I mean seriously you people need to rethink about what this whole paranoia of Hindi imposition and cultural invasion is all about?

I’ve lived in Delhi all my life and have seen thousands of Tamil, Kannadiga and NE people surviving harsh life of Delhi be it scorching heat of summer, bone chilling cold of winter or even gas chamber like polluted air in springs. No one questions about why you do this or that here. In recent years there is increasing numbers of southern language finding their place in signboards in roads, railways, metros and even malls and other non govt properties.
No one seems offended here.

Even in my home town Allahabad/Prayagraj (you Southies call it Cow belt) the government is making sure that every signboard at public places like highways, inside city , near any place of cultural importance must have almost every popular language family including Tamil, Kannada/Malayalam, Bengali/Odiya/Assamese. No one is going mental over language imposition over there.
In fact people feel proud that govt is thinking about promoting our local cultural sites and making it easier to visit here to all Indians. Even 5Rs local bus tickets now have multilingual marks.
To me it looks more like cultivated fear of Hindi imposition rather then actual imposition. What more disheartening is when people like Kamal Hasan, Prakas Raj and that side actor in movie Rang de Basanti, wo earned billions by catering to Hindi audiences all their life , start badmouthing “Cow/Hindi Belt creatures”, it’s just feel bad.

I’m not saying that everything is lie and there must be some instances of fondling with this Idea of Hindi promotion. But Imposition? Come on. It was tried by Congress long ago and ended badly for them. I’m sure BJP is not that stupid.
PS: I’ve never lived in southern states except Hyderabad, so I may not know the actual ground situation there. So don’t get angry at me and feel free to inform/correct me

@SrNair @nair @Ashwin @suryakiran
@Infowarrior
@Vicky

Last edited:
Reactions: SrNair and nair