Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion

You sure about this ? The missile looks too bulky to be based on any air launched missile IMO.

My assertions were based on similarity of design and configuration

Different objects in different pic's are never in scale and hence relative girth or size cannot be compared

The RUDRAM-2 pic is a scale model
The SMART pic is of an actual missile

And thus how can you say one is too bulky than the other just by looking at same. Its a waste of time.

My assertions were based on similarity of design and configuration

Different objects in different pic's are never in scale and hence relative girth or size cannot be compared

The RUDRAM-2 pic is a scale model
The SMART pic is of an actual missile

And thus how can you say one is too bulky than the other just by looking at same. Its a waste of time.

I tried comparing it with known dimensions such as the length/ tyre size of the Tatra T815 8X8 in the pics. Though there will be errors given the camera angle & perspective. I am trying to find the missile diameter from the launch video now.

DRDO SMART Missile Assisted Torpedo Test 0-3 screenshot (2).png

DRDO SMART Missile Assisted Torpedo Test 0-1 screenshot.png

sm.jpg

I tried comparing it with known dimensions such as the length/ tyre size of the Tatra T815 8X8 in the pics. Though there will be errors given the camera angle & perspective. I am trying to find the missile diameter from the launch video now.

View attachment 18106
View attachment 18107
View attachment 18108

You still don't get it

When I said based on RUDRAM family especially RUDRAM-2 what does it ( did I ) mean ?

I meant design configuration ( as required ) and technology ( as required ) was derived from RUDRAM family and " scaled up " as required for SMART.

Does it mean taking a portion of RUDRAM-2 ( or whole ) and using it on SMART as it is . No

It is not possible to state everything so explicitly.

When I said based on RUDRAM family especially RUDRAM-2 what does it ( did I ) mean ?

I meant design configuration and technology was derived from RUDRAM family and " scaled up " as required for SMART.

Ok, that makes sense. I was interested in the dimensions to see if this could go into our existing naval VLS. Guess we will have to wait.

Reactions: RISING SUN
SMART sounds good but why just dont drop a torpedo from P-8i since it can carry torpedo??
Not of missiles carrying capabilities and it may not be necessary that P8I is in the same sector enemy boat is detected. Hence delay in response. Further it might be possible that India might be looking to safeguard shore based facilities and cities from missile attack, hence land based testing?

Not of missiles carrying capabilities and it may not be necessary that P8I is in the same sector enemy boat is detected. Hence delay in response. Further it might be possible that India might be looking to safeguard shore based facilities and cities from missile attack, hence land based testing?

but if P-8i is not in the same sector...then how are we going to detect the submarine??.......the two platform india will be using for surveillance are P-8i and MQ-9 and both of them can carry light torpedo :unsure::unsure:

but if P-8i is not in the same sector...then how are we going to detect the submarine??.......the two platform india will be using for surveillance are P-8i and MQ-9 and both of them can carry light torpedo :unsure::unsure:
Ships equipped with on-board SONAR like side aperture, towed SONAR, helicopter based submarine detection etc, Dornier, other arial based maritime search platform and last but not the least Indian submarines themselves. Is it not said in past that a submarine is better at detection of enemy submarine. What if Indian submarine finds enemy submarine too close to engage in its own and, like filmy style CALL IN THE ARTILLERY FOR FIRE SUPPORT!, requests SMART weapon deployment from standoff range while itself remaining outside of enemy detection range? Detection platform remains undetected and gathers intelligence against other enemy boats. Isn't this a probability of greater benifit?

View attachment 18106
View attachment 18107
View attachment 18108
Ok, that makes sense. I was interested in the dimensions to see if this could go into our existing naval VLS. Guess we will have to wait.
Please do that, the dimensions doesn't have to be accurate. The results should be interesting either way.
You still don't get it

I meant design configuration ( as required ) and technology ( as required ) was derived from RUDRAM family and " scaled up " as required for SMART.

Does it mean taking a portion of RUDRAM-2 ( or whole ) and using it on SMART as it is . No

It is not possible to state everything so explicitly.
Nah.. let is stay. Our ideas about missiles evolve with the info that's available. When we know more we can compare, find faults in our understanding and thus gain a better insight into missile tech.

Reactions: RISING SUN
What happens if we park SMART launchers along Gujarat coastline

Once pak....... submarines enter berth at harbour , they will be at it IN's mercy

Just fire a SMART into Karachi harbour , I will bet ₹ 10 , that it will sink something worthwhile without breaking any sweat :p

@Chain Smoker you may be right. I got it wrong. Many people seem to believe the missile has Shaurya pedigree.

In the recent Shaurya test we were told the new version is sleeker and lighter. But we didn't get any photos. Maybe this is the new version. As such @Amal 's suggestion of UVLS makes more sense
Any specs on warhead size? This is certainly gaming changing for any potential regional naval conflict with China.

So probably around 50kg HE?
It's exactly 50kg. The heaviest warhead among the light torpedos the drawback being it's one of the slowest torpedoes in its class. 33 knots for 19km. The mk54 is around 45 knots but for 10-14km

Should be able to fit inside VLS of large ships. Brahmos is a very big missile after all.

Reactions: Amal
It's exactly 50kg. The heaviest warhead among the light torpedos the drawback being it's one of the slowest torpedoes in its class. 33 knots for 19km. The mk54 is around 45 knots but for 10-14km
Check the torpedo thread mate. There is a new light weight torpedo called ALWT. The TAL Shyena is slow, ALWT is not. It can do 50 knots for 12 kms or 25 knots for 25 kms. depending on the need.