Brahmos Supersonic Cruise Missile : News, Updates and Discussions

Evidently you aren't familiar with the Hindi phrase - marta, kya na karta - the GoI's & MoD's stock in trade over the years? The entire process of testing & certification can be expected to happen during this crisis while it's being deployed .
Is there a prior example of a major clean sheet weapon system skipping regular trails and going to production? It could be possible in the small arms front not on technically complex and expensive systems.

Is there a prior example of a major clean sheet weapon system skipping regular trails and going to production? It could be possible in the small arms front not on technically complex and expensive systems.
This news obviously is a leak as multiple outlets are running it. Where did the leak stem from? Obviously from government sources. Now, one can either take it at face value or see it as some sort of psy ops though if it's the latter, I , personally, don't see why the Chinese should sweat it out over Nirbhay as compared to say a Brahmos. Perhaps you can offer your insight or wait for Namaskar Doston, mera naam hain.... Swagat hain aap sabka defxxx dexxxx par...

Read post #443 on this thread. Air to Air Brahmos, ludicrous as it may sound, is actually under consideration and has been reported a number of times.

There was a video of Nirbhay missile doing terrain masking flight. It was posted on twitter by Anantha Krishnan M. from Tarmak007. I think it was posted on this thread too, try searching for it.
Brahmos air to air is set to fly in 2024... Induction post 2027..

Yes those were in development trials. Do you seriously believe that Indian government is capable of inducting a system 1 year after it was tested... Not happening..
And who's gonna fire Nirbhay? It hasn't undergone user trials with army or IAF...
Nirbhay project was scrapped. No Nirbhay unless you expect DRDO scientists on the Frontline in Ladakh
Evidently you aren't familiar with the Hindi phrase - marta, kya na karta - the GoI's & MoD's stock in trade over the years? The entire process of testing & certification can be expected to happen during this crisis while it's being deployed .
In India?!
😆 🤣🤣

W
Lol, just like LCH deployment on LAC? People should use some common sense.

How can you deploy something which you do not posses as of yet?
Well a lot of them are reporting that we have nirbhay deployed. All cannot be wrong, logically there can't be more than 10-20 missiles. Who knows it could very well be deliberate misinformation by someone connected to the GoI to rattle the Chinese...

What were the initial propulsion & guidance systems used in the first tests of the Nirbhays? Why were further tests of the Nirbhay discontinued in spite of the success of the last few tests & a fresh project launched? How many such engines did we procure from NPO? Do we have satisfactory answers to these mysterious developments? There in lies your answer.
Not any leak but made up one. They already have two regiments of Brahmos overlooking the plateau. Thats enough to sweat any chinese.
Why would the Chinese sweat at Brahmos? Don't they have their own supersonic LACMs to threaten India with?

Reactions: Lolwa
W

Well a lot of them are reporting that we have nirbhay deployed. All cannot be wrong, logically there can't be more than 10-20 missiles. Who knows it could very well be deliberate misinformation by someone connected to the GoI to rattle the Chinese...

How come when the system has not been actually developed, be deployed?

Media person jump on anything for the sake of TRP.

We should know that things don't work that way in India

What were the initial propulsion & guidance systems used in the first tests of the Nirbhays? Why were further tests of the Nirbhay discontinued in spite of the success of the last few tests & a fresh project launched? How many such engines did we procure from NPO? Do we have satisfactory answers to these mysterious developments? There in lies your answer.
Yes, we have the most answers. There is nothing mysterious here. The project was launched in 2004 (Different programs for flight tests in 2010). Threat perception and our R&D ability changed dramatically. We don't need to rely on imported engines anymore. Each service asked for different configurations. Practically everything is new then why not a fresh project? And the deadlines are long passed. They will close it as a TD project then open new projects for each service.

Screenshot_2020-09-28 16_Defence_43 pdf.png

Again, not plausible. The entire budget for the program was Rs ~100 cr which ran for more than a decade with multiple failures and all. Till the 2017 year there was no increase in funding or completion of user trials. No news of a new set of engines being procured from russia. Our engine yet to start test flight.

Unless they start producing missiles with no certification or QA with funds from the strategic budget and skipping the secret procurement procedure. I call it bull.

Everything that's in development can be put on the field when they are in the advanced phase of testing in some numbers.

For example, the first Pinaka regiment was raised only in Feb 2000, but was fielded during Kargil War.

Nirbhay has finished limited development testing so a small number would be available for user tests. Plus production will be active because the program is continuing under ITCM.

Yes, we have the most answers. There is nothing mysterious here. The project was launched in 2004 (Different program for flight test in 2010). Threat perception and our R&D ability changed dramatically. We don't need to rely on imported engines anymore. Each service asked for a different configurations. Practically everything is new then why not a fresh project? And the deadlines are long passed. They will close it as a TD project then open new projects for each services.

View attachment 17938
You've answered one set of queries I've raised & ignored the rest.

Those missiles we've tested came with a Russian propulsion & guidance system. Obviously we may have ordered a good 2-3 dozens or more of them for tests, TDs, prototypes, etc. The project itself would definitely have been closed after achieving the milestones set for it.

What you're describing above is the aftermath of the closure of a successful TD program for lack of a proper definition. This still doesn't preclude building more of them with the sub components imported for deployment & usage as a sort of weapon system minus trials & certifications normally a SOP with such systems with the usage itself acting as trials.

After all there are precedents for induction & deployment of systems & platforms which haven't been certified but are deemed matured in terms of development & thus usable during wars or war like scenarios .

Everything that's in development can be put on the field when they are in the advanced phase of testing in some numbers.

For example, the first Pinaka regiment was raised only in Feb 2000, but was fielded during Kargil War.

Nirbhay has finished limited development testing so a small number would be available for user tests. Plus production will be active because the program is continuing under ITCM.
This was pinaka during Kargil. It was of no consequences.

EiLkbqaWAAEKgS-

Of course, they can move the already produced one or two Nirbahy to the border and call it deployed. Possible.

Those missiles we've tested came with a Russian propulsion & guidance system. Obviously we may have ordered a good 2-3 dozens or more of them for tests, TDs, prototypes, etc. The project itself would definitely have been closed after achieving the milestones set for it.
I thought its a non-question.

They technically can't order more than they need to flight test. CAG will scrutinize them if they do that. It makes no sense. In total there could be 5-6 max and a few backs up.

After all there are precedents for induction & deployment of systems & platforms which haven't been certified but are deemed matured in terms of development & thus usable during wars or war like scenarios .
Which was my point about Brahmos. A handful of unproven Nirbhay won't do anything to change the balance.

• Informative
Reactions: Lolwa
This was pinaka during Kargil. It was of no consequences.

EiLkbqaWAAEKgS-

Of course, they can move the already produced one or two Nirbahy to the border and call it deployed. Possible.

I thought its a non-question.

They technically can't order more than they need to flight test. CAG will scrutinize them if they do that. It makes no sense. In total there could be 5-6 max and a few backs up.

Which was my point about Brahmos. A handful of unproven Nirbhay won't do anything to change the balance.
Then, obviously, if the news has been leaked, the deployments would also have been substantial else I can't see any reason why the news was leaked if all we had to deploy was a handful of missiles. Just out of curiosity, what other sub sonic LACMs do we have in our arsenal & in what numbers?

How come when the system has not been actually developed, be deployed?

Media person jump on anything for the sake of TRP.

We should know that things don't work that way in India
Sometimes GoI ends up surprising everyone. The Americans themselves could never preempt pokhran-II. We are not always incompetent. Even agni 5's range was stated 5000km the Chinese themselves claimed it to be around 8000 km. Our government is way more secretive and opaque than its perceived to be. We could very well have one or two a2a brahmos too who knows. I will go with our incompetent journalists on this one...

Sometimes GoI ends up surprising everyone. The Americans themselves could never preempt pokhran-II. We are not always incompetent. Even agni 5's range was stated 5000km the Chinese themselves claimed it to be around 8000 km. Our government is way more secretive and opaque than its perceived to be. We could very well have one or two a2a brahmos too who knows. I will go with our incompetent journalists on this one...
Remove the heavy gauge sheet metal with the thinner sheet metal on the outer skin and add an active seeker with data link ... your Brahmos A2A for H6 Bomber is ready :p

On the ICBMs the official note is always for the longest possible range with the heaviest conventional warhead possible. Once a warhead is changed to nuclear device, things change. Nothing secretive in that.

As for journalists, they just have a competition from the new osint accounts popping up on twitter, so be critical of what you read.

On the ICBMs the official note is always for the longest possible range with the heaviest conventional warhead possible. Once a warhead is changed to nuclear device, things change. Nothing secretive in that.

As for journalists, they just have a competition from the new osint accounts popping up on twitter, so be critical of what you read.
I am being critical here. That's why I prefer the Osint guys over the news guys. But usually when "fake" news comes it usually comes from a single source. For example India Today had come with the news the su30 mki was shot down. No other news channel took up the story. That came out to be fake only later Pakistanis had to publish it because the f16 story went out of control.
In this case multiple news sites have taken up the story even the dedicated ones like livefist ( they don't do quality coverage) but still. A I don't know why everybody's mind is blowing. A project that has stayed in development hell for more than a decade will have a decent amount of limited prototypes. And assembling a cruise missile isn't as time consuming as a fighter jet. So they could easily have more than 10-20 missiles. We have also deployed qrsam in ladakh so why there is such scepticism in a few nirbhay launchers. A prototype project doesn't have dedicated launcher like this
Screenshot_20200928-232947.jpg

Basic common sense would dictate that we should have a few vehicles like these..

How can a missile system be deployed without user trials ? I guess there were Army trials post the last successful Development trial in 2019.. Dont think DRDO scientists would be manning the systems on the LAC.. Something is quite shady here..
Nirbhay failed 3 out of the 6 tests. That's a meagre 50% success rate and IA would no way go for that. I'm not saying DRDO personnel are manning the systems but they must've given the few produced for test trails to IA

Nirbhay failed 3 out of the 6 tests. That's a meagre 50% success rate and IA would no way go for that. I'm not saying DRDO personnel are manning the systems but they must've given the few produced for test trails to IA

On February 6, India’s Defense Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) announced the completion of the Nirbhay cruise missile development project and revealed several cruise and antiship missiles under development.

Most likely, DRDO reduced the specs of Nirbhay and completed the trial with a foreign engine and foreign seeker.