Indian Civil Aviation : News , Updates & Discussions

LOL
They should have not showed off that much that people started questioning the vande bharat mission. Should have silently done.

Air India Express aircraft from Dubai to Kozhikode with 191 passengers crashes after overshooting runway

WhatsApp_Image_2020-08-07_at_8.43.25_PM.jpeg

Just yesterday, I showed my son the video of MC-21 undergoing water injection trials on Flightinternational website. I also told him the regulatory requirements for certification. He is now doing his Integrated M Tech in Aerospace engg and also being trained by me to be a commercial Pilot. I told him how to identify the weather conditions to take a decision to land or divert and put off the approach in case of weather. I covered everything which has resulted in the crash today. Very sad. Maybe the pilot took a wrong decision.
Just to tell you how I would have taken a decision, I will watch for winds as they tell us how strong the weather system is, next I will wait for the amount of rainfall over the airport. Finally I will wait for atleast 15 minutes from the time the airport reports winds as Calm and rainfall as mild to moderate to allow for water to drain out from the runway before making an approach to land. Otherwise I will hold in an area away from weather system till my fuel allows me based on the weather trends as stated by Metar. If the Metar says that the weather is not likely to clear within the time limit I have to hold over the airport, I will not delay my decision to divert to alternate airport.
I became a pilot at the age of 17.5 years of age and flying aircraft in Military and civil is all I have done in my life with business as an offshoot of the same. With over 37 years of experience as a Pilot, I know how weather can fool you.

I trained many ex IAF guys on B737NG and A320 and found them to be chutiyas of highest order. They came with lots of baggage and not open to change that. I nearly flew into a hill while flying between BLR-CMB route because I was training an Ex IAF guy to be the Captain on A320. He told me that he had been the head of ops in training command and knew the area like the back of his palm. He froze on controls the moment ACAS-2 sounded ground collision. I had given him the sector and he was senior to me in forces. But he froze and I took over controls. We escaped by just 450 feet from colliding with ground as shown by DFDR. I Pushed the throttles full forward to go around thrust and pulled back on stick and we had speed brakes deployed to meet the descent requirements to meet the needs to have a direct approach to land in Coimbatore. Airbus did a very fine thing to its FBW and created a solution for just one situation. In A320, if you push Go Around thrust, the speed brakes even if deployed, retract till the thrust is brought back to climd thrust detent.
I thank my god and my own training as a Naval Aviator for being alive today and posting it. IAF has drivers of aircraft. IN has real Aviators.

This shot is from runway, nose is touching the boundary wall. It's 30 ft down.

View attachment 17067

This shot is from runway, nose is touching the boundary wall. It's 30 ft down.
Yup. In many ways it's a replay of the Bajpe airport tragedy in Mangalore a decade ago. In many ways that crash was worse . The table top runway there is on a hill . The drop there is a very steep one.Fatalities & injuries were high on that occasion.

If pilot error or electro-hydraulic failure is not to blame, this looks like a classic case of dynamic+reverted-rubber hydroplaning. The ac could overshoot the calculated landing distance by 400 ft or more.

Reactions: vstol Jockey
Cabinet gives nod for leasing out Thiruvananthapuram, Jaipur, Guwahati airports through PPP
The Union Cabinet has approved the proposal for leasing out Jaipur, Guwahati and Thiruvanathapuram airports of the Airports Authority of India (AAI) through Public-Private Partnership, Union Minister Prakash Javadekar announced on Wednesday.

“This is not a permanent move, it has been leased out for 50 years. The revenue received through this model will be utilised by the AAI to develop airports in small cities. Secondly, passengers will get better facilities,” Javadekar said while briefing the media on the Cabinet meeting, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

The latest announcement comes a year after the Cabinet had similarly cleared the civil aviation ministry’s proposal to lease out Ahmedabad, Lucknow and Mangaluru airports through PPP to the Adani group for a period of 50 years. It was the second big airport privatisation round after Delhi and Mumbai were given to private companies GMR and GVK, respectively.

In February last year, the Adani group was selected to operate the three airports, in addition to Jaipur, Guwahati and Thiruvananthapuram, after having bid aggressively.

As per the lease terms of the PPP agreement, Adani group is responsible for operations and management of the existing airport assets as well as for designing, engineering, financing, construction and development of the additional air-side, terminal, city-side and land-side infrastructure for the airport.

The government had invited bids from private players to operate these airports for 50 years on a PPP basis. The AAI adopted the per-passenger fee model this time, which is a modification of the revenue-sharing model that was used earlier in the privatisation of airports such as Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Hyderabad.

Under the per-passenger fee model, the airport operator needs to pay fixed charges per passenger on a monthly basis to AAI. For instance, if 1 lakh passengers use a particular airport in a year, the operator pays the charge multiplied by the number of passengers for the entire year to AAI. Charges are paid on a monthly basis. This provides an incentive for the airport operator to grow revenue as there is no sharing while AAI benefits from the growth in passengers.

National Recruitment Agency for central govt jobs
Among other major decisions, the Cabinet gave its nod to set up a National Recruitment Agency (NRA) for conducting a Common Eligibility Test (CET) for central government jobs.

Explaining the rationale behind the decision, Secretary C Chandramouli said that the government recruitment exams used to have different schedules, application processes and fees, leading to malpractices due to infrastructural challenges. The decision to set up the National Recruitment Agency has been taken to eliminate these challenges, he said.

He further said that around 2.5 to 3 crore people appear for over 1.25 lakh central government vacancies in Group B and C every year through IBPS, SSC, and RRB.

Terming the move as a “landmark reform”, Union minister Jitendra Singh said it will lead to ease of selection, ease of job placement and ease of living, especially for those sections of society that are considered disadvantaged. It will also help the poor and women who have to travel long distances for taking exams for various jobs, he said.

The NRA will conduct a CET to screen/shortlist candidates for the Group B and Group C (non-technical) posts. The NRA will have representatives from the Ministry of Railways, the Ministry of Finance/Department of Financial Services, the Staff Selection Commission (SSC), the Railway Recruitment Board (RRB) and the Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS).

For now, the scores of the common test will be used by three major recruitment agencies, but other agencies would be included over a period of time. In the long run, the CET score could be shared with other recruiting agencies in the Central government, state governments/Union Territories, Public Sector Undertakings and Private Sector, Singh said. This, he said, would help them save costs and time spent on recruitment.

At present, candidates seeking government jobs have to appear for separate examinations conducted by multiple recruiting agencies for various posts even though they have similar eligibility conditions. The candidates thus end up paying fee to multiple recruiting agencies and also have to travel long distances for appearing in these exams. Singh said the initial plan is to set up 1,000 exam centres across the country for conduction this common test. There will be at least one exam centre in each district and no candidate will now have to travel out of their district for taking this common exam, he said.

Fair and remunerative price of sugarcane
The Cabinet also approved the fair and remunerative price (FRP) of sugarcane payable by sugar mills for 2020-21 season (October-September) on the recommendations of the Commission for Agricultural Costs and Prices (CACP). The FRP of sugarcane for 2020-21 sugar season has been determined at Rs 285 per quintal for a basic recovery rate of 10 per cent. The government said the move is expected to give relief to 1 crore cane farmers.

Working capital norm relaxed for discoms
Besides, it approved a proposal to relax working capital limit norm for discoms under the Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana (UDAY) to get loans as part of the Rs 90,000 crore liquidity infusion scheme.

After the Cabinet meeting, Javadekar said, “Power sector has a problem. There is a slump in power consumption. The bills are not being collected by them. PFC and REC have been allowed to give loans above the limit more the 25 per cent working capital limit. This will increase liquidity of the state discoms”.

“The working capital limit is 25 per cent of last year’s revenue. Now the limit is relaxed,” he further said.

Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman had in May announced the Rs 90,000 crore liquidity infusion into cash-strapped discoms, facing demand slump due to the lockdown to contain COVID-19.