After Pompeo says ‘tide is turning against Huawei,’ India reportedly weighs 5G ban on Chinese firm

_Anonymous_

Dec 4, 2017
Mumbai
Talk of business cycles. There are companies today writing off a full quarter and there are companies reporting record profits.

Indian telco Reliance Jio reported 3X growth in its profits last week. While other telcos will likely report good numbers too, Jio is an anomaly. In more ways than one.

For its $46 billion 4G network, it chiefly relied on one vendor—Samsung. For 5G, it’s going all out for open source. What looked like a scrappy DIY project a few years ago has now emerged as a full-blown strategy for not just building a 5G network on its own terms—free from vendor lock-ins—but also for selling to the rest of the world.

This puts in context what Reliance chairman Mukesh Ambani told the US President Trump in a CEO roundtable in February—“We’re the only network in the world which doesn’t have a single Chinese component.”

Locking out large network gear vendors is a new imperative as well as a movement. And one of the telecom executives leading it globally is Tariq Amen, CTO of Japan’s newest mobile operator Rakuten. Amen, the Jordanian expat who headed Jio’s networks team until 2018, had set the ball rolling. Under him, Jio acquired US software company Radisys and invested in a few other startups. It hired over 150 IIT graduates, built networking equipment, and ran prototypes in Jio’s campus.

Coincidently, the same year Jio began its equipment push, Trai, India’s telecom regulator, came up with a set of recommendations on ‘promoting local telecom manufacturing’.

Trai redefined Make in India, adding a new category—design in India, manufacture abroad. This would mean that Jio’s plans would still qualify for incentives under the Make in India scheme.

In Jio’s estimate, this focused drift of strategy would reduce its capex by half, and its network update turnaround by 75%. Two competitive groups (and power centres) are finally converging within Jio to reach one goal by December.

Pratap has a cracker of a story today, with small details woven through large implications. Read it here: https://the-ken.com/story/reliance-jios-5g-push-to-be-indias-answer-to-huawei/ (12-minute story)

@randomradio @_Anonymous_ @Sulla84 @Milspec @hellbent @Gautam
Is the the full story? The link you've attached is behind a paywall.

Reactions: Ghobbitses
Even though I am not a big fan of ambani & co who are mostly known for commission business , I like the idea of getting into 5G design & manufacture. Hope this spawns a ecosystem of electronic design & manufacturing similar to korea or taiwan.

Its not technology they are after but subscriber base that reliance brings in. I am not a big fan of letting these cmpnies run riot, we should create our own googles/facebook like china has done. whether it is aramco or google buying a stake in reliance is purely bcos of the market size. Once they enter the market they will virtually kill other cmpnies and startups will have no chance of competing with them.

For example in US , comcast is alleged to be throttling netflix , youtube,skype .... etc services. Same thing will happen in India as well.

Yes - the only way to prevent foreign companies from killing Indian ones is by having really strong Indian firms running the show. If the foreign cos are investors with the Indians leading the show then it's a pretty good thing.

All I can see is - Where is my Sharapova:D
How dare you are giving me Desi Mandiras.

Actually what he said is true. We should reject the FB/ Google type investment and proceed with purely indigenious solutions before America/ Cambridge Analytica type situation emerges. Now when I think of it, Reliance must be brought to heel.

I'm beginning to see the implications- Jio will not have any competition. Should I fell happy that no chinese equipment will be there or sad that anti-national like Jio will be our only choice....unable to make up my mind!

Actually what he said is true. We should reject the FB/ Google type investment and proceed with purely indigenious solutions before America/ Cambridge Analytica type situation emerges. Now when I think of it, Reliance must be brought to heel.
No he is satisfied with the status quo of importing everything from foreign vendor(of some preferred country) even if a desi option exist. IA Brats are expert in this practice. Just look at their procurement history.

For building something you don’t have the capability to build, you need support of someone who has experience in doing that and is willing to help you.
Its opposite to PSUs philosophy of retaining selfdepependence at the cost of doing nothing. Pvt companies don’t have that luxury. That’s why army men are not considerd that bright minded in business world.

Chinease tech industry started with similar way and so should Indian.

Last edited:
No he is satisfied with the status quo.

For building something , you don’t have the capability to build, you need support of someone who has experience in doing that and is willing to help you.
Its opposite to PSUs philosophy of retaining selfdepependence at the cost of doing nothing. Pvt companies don’t have that luxury. That’s why army men are not considerd that bright minded in business world.

Chinease tech industry started with similar way and so should Indian.
we have the ability and if we focus well it can be converted to capability. If we are talking about chip designing & manufacturing yes we need collaboration & tech transfer. But for software side of things I dont think there is any thing that is stopping us from building new stuff. Indian market over the period of time has grown well and can certainly generate more revenue to justify spending on such efforts. google/facebook are not doing us any charity , they know very well that small investment now they make will fetch them handsome returns at the same time preventing other companies emerging as well.

I dont know what makes ppl think google / facebook are special they all started as small startups and grew over period of time. We also need to encourage more local startups instead of constantly harping that we dont have capability without even attempting. Its all got to do with our attitude instead of focusing on overall big picture we end up being satisfied with easiest and low hanging fruits. Infosys / wipro have been there for enuf period of time they should have been challenging microsoft/IBM instead of renting ppl out for money.

Reactions: Bali78
And that’s the bottom line — This is an attempt to drive smartphone penetration in the country. It’s an attempt to build a phone that could potentially unlock new opportunities and boost data consumption. You can’t just stick a regular Android smartphone and expect rural consumers to take a liking to it. They have different aspirations. They have different needs.
reliance is the gatekeeper they can keep out any apps / services or run their own. That's the reason why these companies are trying to invest now and get some foot hold. There is also a disadvantage if one big company ends up dictating the market it will crush local start ups. In US there is some thing called network neutrality we also need such laws to ensure that we dont end up suffering from monopoly.

Reliance on the other hand should spin of its divisions and make them independent. They should have stake , voting rights and board members but not day to day control of the company. The company should chart its course based on what it deems beneficial instead of hitching itself to the reliance monolith.

we have the ability and if we focus well it can be converted to capability. If we are talking about chip designing & manufacturing yes we need collaboration & tech transfer. But for software side of things I dont think there is any thing that is stopping us from building new stuff. Indian market over the period of time has grown well and can certainly generate more revenue to justify spending on such efforts. google/facebook are not doing us any charity , they know very well that small investment now they make will fetch them handsome returns at the same time preventing other companies emerging as well.

I dont know what makes ppl think google / facebook are special they all started as small startups and grew over period of time. We also need to encourage more local startups instead of constantly harping that we dont have capability without even attempting. Its all got to do with our attitude instead of focusing on overall big picture we end up being satisfied with easiest and low hanging fruits. Infosys / wipro have been there for enuf period of time they should have been challenging microsoft/IBM instead of renting ppl out for money.
Google is Ordinary ? LOL.
I’m not undermining Indian talent, but the hard reality is what I said earlier that we don’t have the capability of likes of Ericsson and Nokia or even ZTE and Huwave .
Its not impossible per se but anything is impossible if no one seriously make an dedicated effort to do it.
Google may have started as a Start up tech company in the basement of some American but look at what it is now.
Just do some googling about its Deep brain AI project and DARPA funding of it. Just look at the os developed by them ie Android. Its almost ubiquitous, can be found in every piece of gadget now a days.
Its financial clout rivals GDP of countries like India.

And I don’t wanna talk about FB as I hat that thing. Its a boring waste of time.
reliance is the gatekeeper they can keep out any apps / services or run their own. That's the reason why these companies are trying to invest now and get some foot hold. There is also a disadvantage if one big company ends up dictating the market it will crush local start ups. In US there is some thing called network neutrality we also need such laws to ensure that we dont end up suffering from monopoly.

Reliance on the other hand should spin of its divisions and make them independent. They should have stake , voting rights and board members but not day to day control of the company. The company should chart its course based on what it deems beneficial instead of hitching itself to the reliance monolith.
We should sanction Reliance ?
Or should we provide noncompetitiveness funds to those so called “startups” ?

Reactions: Deathstar

I think Reliance should also sell the 5G tech to Vodafone and Idea to keep competition alive.

Modi gonna compromise this country like never before. Military need to take action against this haramkhor before he sold this country to his cronies + foreign interests.

I think Reliance should also sell the 5G tech to Vodafone and Idea to keep competition alive.

The govt and also some private sector companies are in the fry to make their own 5G tech. While Jio may not offer up their stuff, the others can.

The govt and also some private sector companies are in the fry to make their own 5G tech. While Jio may not offer up their stuff, the others can.

mark my words, lefties will force Jio to share tech to 'even' the field or force modi to lift china ban on Huawei.
Modi gonna compromise this country like never before. Military need to take action against this haramkhor before he sold this country to his cronies + foreign interests.

@randomradio doesn't this prove my point?

mark my words, lefties will force Jio to share tech to 'even' the field or force modi to lift china ban on Huawei.

No one can pressurize a private company like that though.

But the govt can end up subsidising the 5G tech that they are making on their own for Indian carriers. So Voda and Airtel can benefit from that. But I'm pinning my hopes on other private players making something useful and affordable before the govt does.

I think Jio is the only company that's both ISP and also the tech provider, so the advantage here is pretty amazing. They can go around building 5G anywhere in the world they want very quickly.

@randomradio doesn't this prove my point?

Haha. He's a chronic leftie, can't do anything about such people.