West Bengal and North East : Political Discussions

They are the same people.. What are you suggesting?
They are essentially the same people, yet they see and introduce themselves differently. The Reangs have integrated quite well in Tripura's society to the point where they don't see themselves as outsiders and they aren't seen as outsiders by other people either. The Brus and Mizos haven't done much integration. They live in closed neighborhoods and have a rather hostile relationship with each other. Understandably given their history, the Brus will identify themselves as Brus nothing else so will the Mizos. Thus ethnically they maybe the same but their self image, worldview and religion more often than not are very different.

Due to this hostility and different levels of assimilation to our society they are identified differently in both Tripura and Mizoram.

If you are a nationalist Indian, you ought to be disappointed. I have had online interactions with him, backs up his opinions with hard facts but he's a strong Assamese nationalist though not from Assam. His tribe ruled over a major chunk of lower Assam and North Bengal.
He's half Koch half Bengali / Assamese as far as I can tell. He's more of a Hindu nationalist from what I've read of his tweets. Then again I've not interacted with him much but am basing my comments on his content & his interactions with others. It's been no more than 2 months since I've come across his handle.

They are essentially the same people, yet they see and introduce themselves differently. The Reangs have integrated quite well in Tripura's society to the point where they don't see themselves as outsiders and they aren't seen as outsiders by other people either. The Brus and Mizos haven't done much integration. They live in closed neighborhoods and have a rather hostile relationship with each other. Understandably given their history, the Brus will identify themselves as Brus nothing else so will the Mizos. Thus ethnically they maybe the same but their self image, worldview and religion more often than not are very different.

Due to this hostility and different levels of assimilation to our society they are identified differently in both Tripura and Mizoram.
You are basing your inference on the recent historical timeline and the geo-political scenario of that part of the NE. That doesn't change their ethnicity, culture and language though. What happened in Mizoram has been unfortunate for them but the fact remains that they are of the same stock. Nagas in Upper Assam/Dima Hasao/Myanmar will remain as Nagas(or the tribes therein) same as in Nagaland even though many of them continue to be Hindus/Animists/Buddhists. Bengalis and Punjabis across both countries of BD/PK will share the same irrespective of their nationality ethnically. Nominal difference in nomenclature and some artificial historical construct aided by revisionism.
He's more of a Hindu
Yes, he is, speaks up for the Hindu cause and is very well read and informed, but is not an Indian nationalist.

You are basing your inference on the recent historical timeline and the geo-political scenario of that part of the NE.
Yes I am.
That doesn't change their ethnicity, culture and language though. What happened in Mizoram has been unfortunate for them but the fact remains that they are of the same stock. Nagas in Upper Assam/Dima Hasao/Myanmar will remain as Nagas(or the tribes therein) same as in Nagaland even though many of them continue to be Hindus/Animists/Buddhists. Bengalis and Punjabis across both countries of BD/PK will share the same irrespective of their nationality ethnically. Nominal difference in nomenclature and some artificial historical construct aided by revisionism.
Of course, it doesn't change ethnicity. But the changes in Mizoram's religion and by extension ideology set off a chain of events. I could be wrong but I believe it was the converted Mizos that first adopted the "us vs. them" mindset against their own, this eventually transformed to a "covert or die" movement. This drove away the Brus from Mizoram to Tripura. In Tripura the state govt. wanted to categorise them to enter them in the list of ST in the state, this is where the Brus identified themselves as Brus. It wasn't a name we gave them, they gave it to themselves.

Ever since the Tripura govt. granting the ST status to the Brus our relationship with Mizoram has been rocky. The Mizo govt. believes it is their internal matter and the Tripura govt. should not fish in troubled waters. Agartala has a bad habit of beginning something and them suddenly stopping midway for no good reason. Tripura govt. initially decided to bulldoze Mizo govt.'s opposition and grant permanent statehood to the Brus but they stopped mid way and this has been hanging since then. Doing this would earn a lot of ire from Aizawl but at least the hatchet would be buried. Look at us now.😑

Now if you are wondering where did the Reangs come from. They were traders since ages, trading between Tripura and Mizoram and beyond. Thus in Tripura they were always considered our people not Mizos. This is also why the assimilated so well in our society. My neighbor is Reang for example but the Brus and Mizos live in ghettos.

Now if you are wondering where did the Reangs come from. They were traders since ages, trading between Tripura and Mizoram and beyond. Thus in Tripura they were always considered our people not Mizos. This is also why the assimilated so well in our society. My neighbor is Reang for example but the Brus and Mizos live in ghettos.
That is precisely my point!! Reangs are not at all alien to Tripura or for that matter even present day Mizoram, which the Lushai tribes illegally snatched from Assam. The ancestors of the Mizos were confined to specific part of the Lushai hills and raided into the plains for sustenance. They had a very perilous relationship with the Reangs and the Chakmas, a long borne hatred to continue to this day in the garb of Christian hegemony aided by their nascent Mizo nationalist identity.

It was very heartening to have seen Bubagra spearheading the efforts in their settlement. That's the difference between our traditional way of life and the Abrahamics. Btw friend, are you are Bengali from Tripura or a native Twiprasa?

That is precisely my point!! Reangs are not at all alien to Tripura or for that matter even present day Mizoram, which the Lushai tribes illegally snatched from Assam. The ancestors of the Mizos were confined to specific part of the Lushai hills and raided into the plains for sustenance. They had a very perilous relationship with the Reangs and the Chakmas, a long borne hatred to continue to this day in the garb of Christian hegemony aided by their nascent Mizo nationalist identity.
The Mizos seem to have a hostile relation with almost everyone in their neighborhood. May be that's why they sought refuge in Christianity, but all it did was bring more trouble. I did not know of their relations with Assam. Thank You for that.
Btw friend, are you are Bengali from Tripura or a native Twiprasa?
Bengali. You are from Assam, where in Assam ?

The Mizos seem to have a hostile relation with almost everyone in their neighborhood. May be that's why they sought refuge in Christianity, but all it did was bring more trouble. I did not know of their relations with Assam. Thank You for that.
Well, it is a sensitive topic for for us. Not the appropriate place to discuss, will open a Pandora's box of sorts... We wish our best to the Mizos, they are doing very well for themselves, though we disagree with the route they have taken. End justifies the means, i guess.
Bengali. You are from Assam, where in Assam ?
Nice to hear that, rover of sorts presently huddled up the stream.

Reactions: Gautam