Maritime Patrol Aircraft : P-8I Neptune, Dornier-228 : News & Discussions

A primer. Nothing more or less. The improved kilo class has it.
An Igla ? That's a manpad with barely 4 km of max flight ceiling. Threatening to helos I imagine, but the P-8I can fly at over 12 km altitude. Although most of its operational life will be spent at 6-9 kms height. I don't see how you can kill a P-8 with an Igla. Also to fire the Igla you need a sailor to fire it off from the shoulder mount which would require the sub to be on the surface. A surfaced sub is usually slower and much easier to spot. Rather than killing the P-8, the sub will get itself killed.

Reactions: Ashwin
An Igla ? That's a manpad with barely 4 km of max flight ceiling. Threatening to helos I imagine, but the P-8I can fly at over 12 km altitude. Although most of its operational life will be spent at 6-9 kms height. I don't see how you can kill a P-8 with an Igla. Also to fire the Igla you need a sailor to fire it off from the shoulder mount which would require the sub to be on the surface. A surfaced sub is usually slower and much easier to spot. Rather than killing the P-8, the sub will get itself killed.

https://www.thyssenkrupp-marinesystems.com/en/missile-system-idas.html

IDAS Missile System - Naval Technology

Have Submarine-Launched Anti-Aircraft Missiles Finally Come Of Age?

The Navy Is Arming Attack Submarines With High Energy Lasers

As I remarked, that was a primer. We both know that you're far more conversant with technicalities than I am & the fact that I loathe research. In fact, I'm truly surprised you're asking me this as I should be the one questioning you about these developments.

Dobara mat poochna.

I think its the funding crunch that's causing the delay. IN needs these immediately to replace the SeaKings in ASW role, which they can start to fill when first batch arrives in a year.
As and when more funding is available, NSM will be ordered.
No, it's COVID-19 which is causing the delay, lot of deals delayed including technical.

Reactions: Ankit Kumar
No, it's COVID-19 which is causing the delay, lot of deals delayed including technical.
Hopefully we order another batch of P8I soon coz the main buyer USN has got most of its P8As. Maybe with present orders, the line will run till 2025. It should not be another C17 fiasco.

Hopefully we order another batch of P8I soon coz the main buyer USN has got most of its P8As. Maybe with present orders, the line will run till 2025. It should not be another C17 fiasco.
With the current crisis on, you can forget about any new purchases for the next 2-3 years. In fact, I'd go so far as to predict that the armed forces will be lucky if they don't see a cut in the defence budget of any way between 10-20% in the next 2-3 years. I'm waiting for your response @randomradio

With the current crisis on, you can forget about any new purchases for the next 2-3 years. In fact, I'd go so far as to predict that the armed forces will be lucky if they don't see a cut in the defence budget of any way between 10-20% in the next 2-3 years. I'm waiting for your response @randomradio

This year there's gonna be a cut in capital purchases. Next year it should go back to normal.

I think this guy is behind **** (Very similar pattern). Only they reported the same with their 'source'. Obviously, when you are developing a new air launched cruise missile its plausible that navy would like to integrate it on its main platform.

Beauty of this kind of 'news' is that you cannot confirm or disapprove it!. It so far in the future that you can say anything for some clicks and no one remembers by the time.

I think this guy is behind **** (Very similar pattern). Only they reported the same with their 'source'. Obviously, when you are developing a new air launched cruise missile its plausible that navy would like to integrate it on its main platform.

Beauty of this kind of 'news' is that you cannot confirm or disapprove it!. It so far in the future that you can say anything for some clicks and no one remembers by the time.
This story isn't new. The origin of this story goes back to the Livefist report a few years back that mentioned about an air launched Nirbhay missile. The folks over at BRF were discussing the point of having an ALCM version of the Nirbhay when we already have ALCM Brahmos fired from Su-30s. There were some saying the ALCM Nirbhay was meant for other platforms like the P-8Is. Some went on to suggest the aging An-32s could be converted to cruise missile carriers of sort. That's where this idea originated, of course with the recent acquisition of missiles and torpedoes for P-8Is those old debates were re-kindled. That's where a lot of folks seem to have picked up this idea.

This story isn't new. The origin of this story goes back to the Livefist report a few years back that mentioned about an air launched Nirbhay missile. The folks over at BRF were discussing the point of having an ALCM version of the Nirbhay when we already have ALCM Brahmos fired from Su-30s. There were some saying the ALCM Nirbhay was meant for other platforms like the P-8Is. Some went on to suggest the aging An-32s could be converted to cruise missile carriers of sort. That's where this idea originated, of course with the recent acquisition of missiles and torpedoes for P-8Is those old debates were re-kindled. That's where a lot of folks seem to have picked up this idea.
Of course Su-30 will get a new indian sub sonic ALCM. Thats common sense, Brahmos is very expensive and 2X heavier.

My point was about this particular news item. Most of the aircraft can be theoretically integrated with a <1ton indian cruise missile. Its a debate point not a news item where they claim 'Indian Navy wants feasibility study to see if P-8I can be armed with Long-Range Cruise Missiles'. You can see so many of those from the same handle.

• Agree
Reactions: Gautam
Of course Su-30 will get a new indian sub sonic ALCM. Thats common sense, Brahmos is very expensive and 2X heavier.

My point was about this particular news item. Most of the aircraft can be theoretically integrated with a <1ton indian cruise missile. Its a debate point not a news item where they claim 'Indian Navy wants feasibility study to see if P-8I can be armed with Long-Range Cruise Missiles'. You can see so many of those from the same handle.
Have you seen the price of recent missile and torpedoes deal. I don't think brahmos is expensive at all in comparison to that.

Reactions: Ankit Kumar
IMG-20200422-WA0023.jpg