T-90 Bhishma / T-72 Ajeya of Indian Army : News and Discussions

As

As the name suggests, they are made from depleted uranium which has much higher density and so better penetration power for the same velocity. The power of our shells and the strength of our barrels is at par with that of best cannons of the world.
Do we have any indigenous program to make the same, sir?

Why are not we making DU shells??
We dont need to as we have other type of ammo to do the same job and we are not up against Abrahms and equivalent tanks. But I do feel that forces against us will need them as Arjun has world class armour. 650mm wont penetrate Arjun hull. Infact Arjun does not even need ERA for protection.

I would like to correct you here. Their normal shells have just as much penetration power as that of Indian shells. The depleted uranium shells are better than ours.
Anyone has an idea what percentage of russian t-72 / t -90 tanks can fire Apfsds with longer penetrators able to pierce greater than 600 mm RHA...

Last edited:
I would like to correct you here. Their normal shells have just as much penetration power as that of Indian shells. The depleted uranium shells are better than ours.

Indian tungsten shells currently do not go beyond 500-550mm at 2Km, 0 deg. Israeli T-72/90 shells are the best. Below that is the Russian Mango. Arjun's Mk1 ammo is inferior to the Mango. DRDO claims to have made more advanced "indigenous" shells for the T-90 with 500-550mm penetration, dunno its status.

European shells manage as much as 700mm with tungsten. I do not believe they have DU shells.

Russian shells have tungsten and DU. Their best tungsten shells do 750mm to as much as 900mm.

American shells are mostly all DU, so that's that. Those are upwards of 750mm and higher, crossing 1000mm now.

DRDO is making more a more advanced tungsten shell that is aimed to achieve 650mm for the Arjun, dunno where that's gone.

We dont need to as we have other type of ammo to do the same job and we are not up against Abrahms and equivalent tanks. But I do feel that forces against us will need them as Arjun has world class armour. 650mm wont penetrate Arjun hull. Infact Arjun does not even need ERA for protection.
But what about Chinese tanks.. Their type 99 tanks have armour equivalent to 800 mm RHA..

Indian tungsten shells currently do not go beyond 500-550mm at 2Km, 0 deg. Israeli T-72/90 shells are the best. Below that is the Russian Mango. Arjun's Mk1 ammo is inferior to the Mango. DRDO claims to have made more advanced "indigenous" shells for the T-90 with 500-550mm penetration, dunno its status.

European shells manage as much as 700mm with tungsten. I do not believe they have DU shells.

Russian shells have tungsten and DU. Their best tungsten shells do 750mm to as much as 900mm.

American shells are mostly all DU, so that's that. Those are upwards of 750mm and higher, crossing 1000mm now.

DRDO is making more a more advanced tungsten shell that is aimed to achieve 650mm for the Arjun, dunno where that's gone.
I agree to disagree with you here.

Sadly a larger shell equivalent to NATO rounds doesn't exist. Or else DRDO would have revealed it long ago. This would also have pushed IA to get more Arjun Mk1/Mk1As.
Waiting for DRDO to reveal a new APFSDS shell at DefExpo 2020 alongwith updated Arjun Mk1A tank.
Fingers crossed.

Urrgggg what about APS ? Nothing about it in upgrades unfortunately. Why we aren't looking into Russian "Afghanit".
Will the new 125mm smoothbore gun be equivalent in terms of performance when compared to 2A46M-5 gun??