ShinMaywa US-2 Amphibious aircraft

Gautam

Feb 16, 2019
Tripura, NE, India
The ShinMaywa US-2 is a Japanese large STOL amphibious aircraft designed for air-sea rescue (ASR) work. Operated by the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force, the US-2 is scheduled to replace the older Shin Meiwa US-1A in Japanese service. It can be used as fire fighter taking 15 tonnes of water.

1562347966015.png

1562348011023.png

1562348164523.png

The Indian Navy has a requirement for 12–18 US-2 Amphibious Search and Rescue aircraft at a cost of US$1.65 billion. It is expected that these amphibious aircraft will be stationed in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. In October 2016, ShinMaywa reduced the price to around US$113 million per aircraft. There were expectations that a contract for the order would be signed in November 2016, but it was deferred by the Indian defence minister Manohar Parrikar. In March 2018, Japanese ambassador to India Kenji Hiramatsu told The Hindu Business Line that talks were still in progress.

Given that this is an on-again-off-again deal and its not entirely new, its surprising that we don't have a thread for this already.

In light of some recent news I am starting this thread. Let's use this thread for tracking the progress of this deal and any related queries and discussions.

Reactions: Sathya
Amphibious Wings for the Navy and Coast Guard: US-2i back on track

By: Huma Siddiqui | Published: July 1, 2019 8:13:23 PM

The Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is expected to be in India for the annual summit in September/October this year
pix.jpg

The government is keen to pursue this deal through government-to-government (G2G) route instead of direct commercial negotiations for more transparency.(Photo: ShinMaywa)

The Japanese ShinMaywa US-2i amphibious aircraft for the Indian Navy is back on track after leaders of India and Japan met on the sidelines of the G-20 summit in Osaka, Japan.

Highly placed sources have confirmed to Financial Express Online that, “The $1.65 billion deal is going to be topping the agenda when the Japanese leader Shinzo Abe comes to India later this year for the annual bilateral summit.” Both the Indian Navy and the Indian Coast Guard are looking to purchase 12-18 of these amphibious Search and Rescue aircraft (SAR) which will enhance their reach and capability.

The Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is expected to be in India for the annual summit in September/October this year and among various issues related to Indo-Pacific, maritime security, the purchase of the US-2i from Japan too will be discussed by the two sides.

Sources have confirmed that the deal is back on the table, especially after the bilateral meeting between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Japanese Prime Minister Abe. India has been keen on acquiring the ShinMaywa US-2i amphibious aircraft Japan as part of the expansion of bilateral strategic partnership as both countries are wary of China’s assertiveness in the Asia-Pacific region.

Ahead of the summit, both foreign and defence ministers of both countries will meet for the first ever 2+2 Ministerial Meeting, a format that was agreed to in 2018 and is expected to discuss the US-2i amphibious aircraft and other issues relating to Defence, Foreign Policy and Security.

“With India’s role expanding in the Indo-Pacific Region, these aircraft which were pushed back are now on track, says Sujeet Samaddar, former India head of ShinMaywa Industries Pvt Ltd.

The deal which was pushed back due to various reasons including high costs has gradually come back on track and has been on the agenda of talks at various levels between the two countries. Both sides have resolved all issues related to the purchase of ShinMaywa Industries’ US-2i amphibious aircraft.

According to Commodore Anil Jai Singh (retd), “The US 2i was supposed to be the showpiece if the Indo-Japan strategic relationship. It was to be the first Japanese military export since the end of WW2. However, for various reasons including cost, this did not happen. For India, an amphibious aircraft will be very useful in the island territories, for Search and Rescue as well as operational logistics and to provide support for ships at sea.”

Singh adds, “India should insist on manufacturing at least 6-8 in India and should be able to maintain and overhaul the aircraft in India.”

“At the trilateral meeting between Japan, the US and India (JAI) on the sidelines of the G-20 summit in Osaka, the three talked about the Indo-Pacific initiative which is an important initiative which all three countries are separately pursuing and also discussing together could be given a further fillip as part of this initiative,” said foreign secretary Vijay Gokhale.

However, with the Indian Navy’s limited requirement for the search and rescue, Japan has offered to manufacture the aircraft in India with the transfer of technology (ToT). Tokyo has offered the possibility of exports to third countries and suggested setting up of MRO and manufacturing spare parts too in India.

As has been reported in the Financial Express Newspaper, since 2011, though there have been endless discussions, however, no final decision has been taken yet. The government of Japan has decided to lower the cost of these aircraft. From the time Tokyo eased its nearly half-century ban on defence equipment exports in April 2014, the two countries have been trying to close a military deal.

The Indian Navy had sought information about amphibian aircraft back in 2010 from Japanese ShinMaywa, Canada’s Bombardier for its CL-415 platform, Russia’s Beriev Be-200 and US/German Company Dornier for its Seastar CD2.

The government is keen to pursue this deal through government-to-government (G2G) route instead of direct commercial negotiations for more transparency. Some of the major G2G deals include procurement from Russia, the US and France.

The Japanese company announced a tie-up with Mahindra Defence Systems, in 2018 for building the aircraft in India and also assembling the first batch which will come in CKD condition if the deal is finalised.

What is US-2i?

Its primary role is air-sea search and rescue operations.

The US-2i is a unique aircraft, capable of short take-offs from land as well as water, with a range of over 4,500 km.

It is powered by four turboprop engines, it can land even on rough seas amid three-metre-high waves.

It has the capability to instantly transport 30 combat-ready soldiers to ‘hot zones’ in an emergency.

It will provide a huge boost to Indian Navy’s operational logistics in areas like the far-flung. It is strategically critical to Andaman and Nicobar Islands.

The plane can also land spares and equipment in close proximity to warships on the high seas.

Reactions: Ashwin

By: Huma Siddiqui | Published: July 1, 2019 8:13:23 PM

The Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is expected to be in India for the annual summit in September/October this year
pix.jpg

The government is keen to pursue this deal through government-to-government (G2G) route instead of direct commercial negotiations for more transparency.(Photo: ShinMaywa)

The Japanese ShinMaywa US-2i amphibious aircraft for the Indian Navy is back on track after leaders of India and Japan met on the sidelines of the G-20 summit in Osaka, Japan.

Highly placed sources have confirmed to Financial Express Online that, “The $1.65 billion deal is going to be topping the agenda when the Japanese leader Shinzo Abe comes to India later this year for the annual bilateral summit.” Both the Indian Navy and the Indian Coast Guard are looking to purchase 12-18 of these amphibious Search and Rescue aircraft (SAR) which will enhance their reach and capability.

The Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is expected to be in India for the annual summit in September/October this year and among various issues related to Indo-Pacific, maritime security, the purchase of the US-2i from Japan too will be discussed by the two sides.

Sources have confirmed that the deal is back on the table, especially after the bilateral meeting between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Japanese Prime Minister Abe. India has been keen on acquiring the ShinMaywa US-2i amphibious aircraft Japan as part of the expansion of bilateral strategic partnership as both countries are wary of China’s assertiveness in the Asia-Pacific region.

Ahead of the summit, both foreign and defence ministers of both countries will meet for the first ever 2+2 Ministerial Meeting, a format that was agreed to in 2018 and is expected to discuss the US-2i amphibious aircraft and other issues relating to Defence, Foreign Policy and Security.

“With India’s role expanding in the Indo-Pacific Region, these aircraft which were pushed back are now on track, says Sujeet Samaddar, former India head of ShinMaywa Industries Pvt Ltd.

The deal which was pushed back due to various reasons including high costs has gradually come back on track and has been on the agenda of talks at various levels between the two countries. Both sides have resolved all issues related to the purchase of ShinMaywa Industries’ US-2i amphibious aircraft.

According to Commodore Anil Jai Singh (retd), “The US 2i was supposed to be the showpiece if the Indo-Japan strategic relationship. It was to be the first Japanese military export since the end of WW2. However, for various reasons including cost, this did not happen. For India, an amphibious aircraft will be very useful in the island territories, for Search and Rescue as well as operational logistics and to provide support for ships at sea.”

Singh adds, “India should insist on manufacturing at least 6-8 in India and should be able to maintain and overhaul the aircraft in India.”

“At the trilateral meeting between Japan, the US and India (JAI) on the sidelines of the G-20 summit in Osaka, the three talked about the Indo-Pacific initiative which is an important initiative which all three countries are separately pursuing and also discussing together could be given a further fillip as part of this initiative,” said foreign secretary Vijay Gokhale.

However, with the Indian Navy’s limited requirement for the search and rescue, Japan has offered to manufacture the aircraft in India with the transfer of technology (ToT). Tokyo has offered the possibility of exports to third countries and suggested setting up of MRO and manufacturing spare parts too in India.

As has been reported in the Financial Express Newspaper, since 2011, though there have been endless discussions, however, no final decision has been taken yet. The government of Japan has decided to lower the cost of these aircraft. From the time Tokyo eased its nearly half-century ban on defence equipment exports in April 2014, the two countries have been trying to close a military deal.

The Indian Navy had sought information about amphibian aircraft back in 2010 from Japanese ShinMaywa, Canada’s Bombardier for its CL-415 platform, Russia’s Beriev Be-200 and US/German Company Dornier for its Seastar CD2.

The government is keen to pursue this deal through government-to-government (G2G) route instead of direct commercial negotiations for more transparency. Some of the major G2G deals include procurement from Russia, the US and France.

The Japanese company announced a tie-up with Mahindra Defence Systems, in 2018 for building the aircraft in India and also assembling the first batch which will come in CKD condition if the deal is finalised.

What is US-2i?

Its primary role is air-sea search and rescue operations.

The US-2i is a unique aircraft, capable of short take-offs from land as well as water, with a range of over 4,500 km.

It is powered by four turboprop engines, it can land even on rough seas amid three-metre-high waves.

It has the capability to instantly transport 30 combat-ready soldiers to ‘hot zones’ in an emergency.

It will provide a huge boost to Indian Navy’s operational logistics in areas like the far-flung. It is strategically critical to Andaman and Nicobar Islands.

The plane can also land spares and equipment in close proximity to warships on the high seas.

With delays, I read years back, it's being made at Indonesia or Thailand I forgot.

Its a "will be nice to have" thing and not "must have" thing. Plus its much more costly compared to other options. I will not want US2 being bought before the must have things are brought. It would be criminal.

We have 3 very big holes
1. Submarines
2. Helicopters
3. Minesweepers

Untill these 3 are filled, US2 shouldn't be bought.

Its a "will be nice to have" thing and not "must have" thing. Plus its much more costly compared to other options. I will not want US2 being bought before the must have things are brought. It would be criminal.

We have 3 very big holes
1. Submarines
2. Helicopters
3. Minesweepers

I agree with you on everything you wrote. This is likely going to be a political call. Imagine the optics, first weapon sale for Japan to India on the eve of Shinzo Abe's visit.

We have 3 very big holes
1. Submarines
2. Helicopters
3. Minesweepers

Last Navy chief said the same. The push for the deal is from MEA.

Japan is a strong Navy force, our engagement with Navy will come handy once Japanese begin to sell weapons.

I agree with you on everything you wrote. This is likely going to be a political call. Imagine the optics, first weapon sale for Japan to India on the eve of Shinzo Abe's visit.
This year's capex is little over 15 billion USD, and we have commitments like 15% payments of S400, 45% payments of Rafale, payments to DPSUs (for Dhruv, T90, under construction Ships, Akash, MR SAM) and additional Ammo/Spare buys (Missiles, ATGMs, Tank ammo, mines, guidance kits for bombs from Israel and Russia, additional artillery rounds etc) this Fy. Now i haven't added amounts of projected 83 MK1A, 56 C295W, 24 MH60R, etc which should be signed this year, meaning 15-25% payments as advance again. I also forgot to add that the Kub SAM, Osa Sam , Smerch, BM21 all are under upgrade and missiles and rockets for those too are to be ordered.

Over them we are talking about 2nd Aircrafts, more T90MS tanks, AWACS, etc etc.

So all this said, IN will be happy as long as these Aircrafts aren't bought from the 15 billion CAPEX of MoD. Maybe PMO should directly fund it instead of throwing away funds into the valley....

• Agree
Reactions: Gautam
This is getting interesting.(y)

Japan in race to make India aviation hub
Posted at: Jul 10, 2019, 6:57 AM; last updated: Jul 10, 2019, 12:19 PM (IST)

Plans complete manufacture of amphibious aircraft US-2, shifting of some Boeing, Airbus production
1562780177302.png

Sandeep Dikshit
Tribune News Service
New Delhi, July 9

Japan, rather than the US, is in the race to be the first country to take advantage of the Union Budget’s thrust into making India an aviation hub, said sources.

Japan’s aviation investment intentions in India centre around an amphibious aircraft US-2 produced by ShinMaywa company. Its appeal lies in its pitch for bagging the order — complete manufacturing of the aircraft in India, training of Indian aviation engineers and shifting of some of the company’s production for Boeing and Airbus to India.

There will be clarity to the eight-year-old deal by the time President Ram Nath Kovind visits Japan in October to attend the coronation ceremony for the new Emperor. A summit meeting between PMs Narendra Modi and Shinzo Abe two months later could take the project closer to fruition.

The nub is India will have to invest close to Rs 15,000 crore in the manufacturing facility, but the Japanese have assured that exports to other countries should make up for the initial investment.

Japan is keen on stepping up its military ties and export of defence hardware to friendly countries to increase its independent security profile in view of the lack of confidence in the US security umbrella. It has already sold offshore petrol vessels to the Philippines and Indonesia and offered submarines to Australia.

For India, the offer of US-2 goes beyond a simple military sale of equipment. Of the 15 US-2 aircraft, three will be wholly manufactured in Japan but the next five will be made in India with Indians as apprentices. The next six aircraft will be wholly made in India by Indian engineers.

The Union Budget’s goal of building the country’s aerospace business capability and infrastructure will be partly met with the Japanese company offering to make parts for Boeing and Airbus.

It has promised to plough offsets into building navigational infrastructure in coastal stations where US-2 will be based. The proposal also assures an engine production facility in the country headed by Rolls Royce, which also supplies engines to C-17, C-130 and P-8i aircraft being used by the Indian Air Force. If all goes well, the Japanese also have plans to design and develop in India a 19-seater civilian aircraft.(Aw....sh*t, they might actually beat HAL to it.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

This is getting interesting.(y)

Posted at: Jul 10, 2019, 6:57 AM; last updated: Jul 10, 2019, 12:19 PM (IST)

Plans complete manufacture of amphibious aircraft US-2, shifting of some Boeing, Airbus production
View attachment 7996

Sandeep Dikshit
Tribune News Service
New Delhi, July 9

Japan, rather than the US, is in the race to be the first country to take advantage of the Union Budget’s thrust into making India an aviation hub, said sources.

Japan’s aviation investment intentions in India centre around an amphibious aircraft US-2 produced by ShinMaywa company. Its appeal lies in its pitch for bagging the order — complete manufacturing of the aircraft in India, training of Indian aviation engineers and shifting of some of the company’s production for Boeing and Airbus to India.

There will be clarity to the eight-year-old deal by the time President Ram Nath Kovind visits Japan in October to attend the coronation ceremony for the new Emperor. A summit meeting between PMs Narendra Modi and Shinzo Abe two months later could take the project closer to fruition.

The nub is India will have to invest close to Rs 15,000 crore in the manufacturing facility, but the Japanese have assured that exports to other countries should make up for the initial investment.

Japan is keen on stepping up its military ties and export of defence hardware to friendly countries to increase its independent security profile in view of the lack of confidence in the US security umbrella. It has already sold offshore petrol vessels to the Philippines and Indonesia and offered submarines to Australia.

For India, the offer of US-2 goes beyond a simple military sale of equipment. Of the 15 US-2 aircraft, three will be wholly manufactured in Japan but the next five will be made in India with Indians as apprentices. The next six aircraft will be wholly made in India by Indian engineers.

The Union Budget’s goal of building the country’s aerospace business capability and infrastructure will be partly met with the Japanese company offering to make parts for Boeing and Airbus.

It has promised to plough offsets into building navigational infrastructure in coastal stations where US-2 will be based. The proposal also assures an engine production facility in the country headed by Rolls Royce, which also supplies engines to C-17, C-130 and P-8i aircraft being used by the Indian Air Force. If all goes well, the Japanese also have plans to design and develop in India a 19-seater civilian aircraft.(Aw....sh*t, they might actually beat HAL to it.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

We should JV with them to make an MTA replacement for 20ton class. They already have experience with C-2. We have a requirement for 50 or so to make it economical.

We should JV with them to make an MTA replacement for 20ton class. They already have experience with C-2. We have a requirement for 50 or so to make it economical.
Ah I love me some C-2.:love:
Frankly, I wouldn't mind a outright acquisition of the aircraft in numbers. But a MTA version of it, if possible, would be awesome.
1562784889094.png

1562784679204.png

1562784859990.png

They also have a ELINT version.
1562784598562.png

Reactions: R!cK and Sathya
Such a neat aircraft, but such a waste of an air frame and unique capability without an ASW mandate. SAR and firefighting are absolute necessities, don't get me wrong (especially for island nations like Japan or one's with large maritime domains like India), but float-planes are amazing ASW platforms and it just feels wrong not to have the US-2 take up that mantel. Considering the US-1 was armed, it's an off omission.

Amphibious patrol bombs lost their luster when mass submarine attack prospects declined following WWII and the breakup of the Soviet Union, but last time I checked Japan's neighborhood included submarines from Russia, North and South Korea, China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Australia and the United States... seems like a lot of submarines to me and Japan's aging P-3s and P-1 are very vulnerable. Then again China faces the same threat profile but hasn't opted arm its new AG-600s. Well not yet anyway.

webcctv.jpg

Considering their H-5 was armed and China's fairly prudently and needing to protect its outlying claims, i don't expect them not to consider adding torpedoes and anti-ship/land-attack missiles to the design.

Russia still builds the best amphibs. Hands down.

Be-200_2big.jpg

Western countries haven't had a respectable patrol bomber since the PBY-5 was retired.

tkE5439.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: R!cK
US2 and the requirements that you said are not mutually dependent. but yes the funds are limited
Amphibious plane can be very good for Search and rescue, Where P-8 can detect, but they cannot take part in actual rescue, but the boats re too slow to arrive at the area.
This plane, if used well (and maybe with other avionics) can be a ASR and also Submarine hunter (with the right avionics)

We have 3 very big holes
1. Submarines
2. Helicopters
3. Minesweepers

Amphibious plane can be very good for Search and rescue, Where P-8 can detect, but they cannot take part in actual rescue, but the boats re too slow to arrive at the area.

The P-8 and similar MPAs like the P-3, IL-38 and ATL-2 are equipped to support and conduct SAR operations. True they can't exactly recover distressed persons (without the use of a skyhook or similar recovery device), but they are equipped with air-dropped survival kits, inflatable rafts and provisions to assist distressed persons in surviving until pick-up arrives.

The venerable P-3 Orion has been used more for search and rescue work across the myriad of nations that fly them then they have as anti-submarine patrol bombers.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

ARK kits - Aerial Rescue Kit - are dropped with blankets, fresh water, first aid kit, flares and life rafts, along with non-perishable foods.

The photos I posted show a SKAD kit, which is used for both search and rescue and special operations support missions over land and at sea.

Last edited:
DefExpo-20 : Japanese amphibious plane back on track for the Indian Navy ?

By: Huma Siddiqui | Published: February 5, 2020; 5:39:23 PM

Both India and Japan have been trying to address issues by both sides and are looking for a positive outcome soon.

1580958956528.png

Since a couple of years the purchase of 12 ShinMaywa US-2i Amphibious and Rescue (SAR) aircraft for 1.65 billion has been put on a back burner for several reasons including the lack of funds of the customer – the Indian Navy.

A high level defence delegation led by the Director-General of Logistics from Japan is heading to the DefExpo 2020 and the focus is to put back the US-2i amphibious aircraft back on track. Confirming this a senior officer who wished to remain anonymous said that “The delegation from Japan will be meeting top Ministry of Defence officials in an effort to get the US-2i amphibious aircraft back on the table. Also, the delegation which will be in India until February 7 will meet with top naval officials to understand other projects where the Japanese companies can participate.”

Since a couple of years the purchase of 12 ShinMaywa US-2i Amphibious and Rescue (SAR) aircraft for $1.65 billion has been put on a back burner for several reasons including the lack of funds of the customer – the Indian Navy.

Both India and Japan have been trying to address issues by both sides and are looking for a positive outcome soon. A decision has been made to negotiate the deal through the government to government route and to be manufactured in India under the Make in India initiative.

As has been reported earlier, the government of Japan has also offered to set up an MRO facility in India and the possibility of exporting the aircraft to a third country. In an effort to further strengthen their Strategic Relations, both India and Japan have been trying to conclude the first defence deal. As part of this exercise during the DefExpo-2018, Mahindra Defence Systems, part of the Mahindra Group had inked an agreement with the ShinMaywa Industries for manufacturing and assembling of amphibious aircraft in India.

What are the Indian Navy and the Indian Coast Guard seeking ?

The two are keen to get between 12-18 search and rescue aircraft (SAR) which would help in expanding their reach and capability.

If and when these aircraft are acquired it will help in boosting the operational logistics in strategically critical Andaman and Nicobar Islands and can also be used for landing close to the warships on high seas with the spare parts.

The two sides have been carrying on the discussions since 2011; however, have not been able to close the deal.

According to sources, the Indian Navy had first sought information about an amphibian aircraft in 2010 from Russia’s Beriev Be-200 and US/German Company Dornier for its Seastar CD2, Japanese ShinMaywa, and Canada’s Bombardier for its CL-415 platform.

DefExpo 2020: Japanese amphibious plane back on track for the Indian Navy?

DefExpo-20 : Japanese amphibious plane back on track for the Indian Navy ?

By: Huma Siddiqui | Published: February 5, 2020; 5:39:23 PM

Both India and Japan have been trying to address issues by both sides and are looking for a positive outcome soon.
View attachment 13917
Since a couple of years the purchase of 12 ShinMaywa US-2i Amphibious and Rescue (SAR) aircraft for 1.65 billion has been put on a back burner for several reasons including the lack of funds of the customer – the Indian Navy.

A high level defence delegation led by the Director-General of Logistics from Japan is heading to the DefExpo 2020 and the focus is to put back the US-2i amphibious aircraft back on track. Confirming this a senior officer who wished to remain anonymous said that “The delegation from Japan will be meeting top Ministry of Defence officials in an effort to get the US-2i amphibious aircraft back on the table. Also, the delegation which will be in India until February 7 will meet with top naval officials to understand other projects where the Japanese companies can participate.”

Since a couple of years the purchase of 12 ShinMaywa US-2i Amphibious and Rescue (SAR) aircraft for $1.65 billion has been put on a back burner for several reasons including the lack of funds of the customer – the Indian Navy.

Both India and Japan have been trying to address issues by both sides and are looking for a positive outcome soon. A decision has been made to negotiate the deal through the government to government route and to be manufactured in India under the Make in India initiative.

As has been reported earlier, the government of Japan has also offered to set up an MRO facility in India and the possibility of exporting the aircraft to a third country. In an effort to further strengthen their Strategic Relations, both India and Japan have been trying to conclude the first defence deal. As part of this exercise during the DefExpo-2018, Mahindra Defence Systems, part of the Mahindra Group had inked an agreement with the ShinMaywa Industries for manufacturing and assembling of amphibious aircraft in India.

What are the Indian Navy and the Indian Coast Guard seeking ?

The two are keen to get between 12-18 search and rescue aircraft (SAR) which would help in expanding their reach and capability.

If and when these aircraft are acquired it will help in boosting the operational logistics in strategically critical Andaman and Nicobar Islands and can also be used for landing close to the warships on high seas with the spare parts.

The two sides have been carrying on the discussions since 2011; however, have not been able to close the deal.

According to sources, the Indian Navy had first sought information about an amphibian aircraft in 2010 from Russia’s Beriev Be-200 and US/German Company Dornier for its Seastar CD2, Japanese ShinMaywa, and Canada’s Bombardier for its CL-415 platform.

DefExpo 2020: Japanese amphibious plane back on track for the Indian Navy?
I hope we buy them. They can be used in so many ways.
For eg. They can be used to replenish supplies for Submarines eg fuel/ batteries for DE Subs without docking at the port.