Why is India not exporting the Brahmos missile to other countries?

Shashank

Dec 4, 2017
Ban galore
Last edited:

Some reasons which comes to my mind are as below.

• Brahmos is Costly missile
  • Russia is blocking the sale
  • Russia is offering cheaper Onix to potential buyers
  • India is scared of China
@Levina @_Anonymous_ @Bali78 @BadBoi @BlackOpsIndia @Bharath @dadeechi @Dagger @GASOLINE_ON_FIRE @STEPHEN COHEN @Hellfire @vstol Jockey @Arvind @RATHORE @Kshithij Sharma

All of the above.

+ we have huge production order from Indian forces to meet.

Last edited:

@Levina @_Anonymous_ @Bali78 @BadBoi @BlackOpsIndia @Bharath @dadeechi @Dagger @GASOLINE_ON_FIRE @STEPHEN COHEN @Hellfire @vstol Jockey @Arvind @RATHORE @Kshithij Sharma @ni8mare @Srinivas @Sathya@madmax613
some of those reasons apply to a few coutries, Others also apply to few other countries.
You can add a few more reasons.
#. Indian MIC needs to improve its reputation. The equador fiasco is an example.
#. Military equipment procurement has plenty of political considerations. An area where India needs to adapt to, shed some of its past, and become ruthless . Our own procurement of Rafale gave a lot of weightage to the history of France as a country which doesn't suddenly become social justice warriors. The reason why Swedish Gripen was always doomed. India with its past of Non-Alignment and non-violence makes a terrible prospective military equipment partner.

Reactions: Aditya10r

@Levina @_Anonymous_ @Bali78 @BadBoi @BlackOpsIndia @Bharath @dadeechi @Dagger @GASOLINE_ON_FIRE @STEPHEN COHEN @Hellfire @vstol Jockey @Arvind @RATHORE @Kshithij Sharma @ni8mare @Srinivas @Sathya@madmax613
Maybe because it's not war proven,

Or because it's not fully operational,

Or because India is not known as a high end weapon manufacturer.

Maybe because it's not war proven,

Or because it's not fully operational,

Or because India is not known as a high end weapon manufacturer.

None of the above. Just because something is not made by west doesnt mean its Crap by default. So called best tank in world "Leopard tank" was very much vulnerable in Syria.
Honest speaking how many weapons we buy and sell are actually war proven. Even Rafale was used to Bomb Libya when air defenses were all gone.

I Feel Its more to do With Russia keeping us out of sale by offering new variations and improvements of Brahmos every few years.

I personally feel GOI should just gift 10 of these anti ship missiles to Vietnam as friendly gesture.

We need Russian Approval ; and only then it can happen

I don't think Brahmos has received export clearance yet.

IA is going to induct 2 more regiments of Brahmos 1. The IAF needs 200+ Brahmos 1. The IN also has to place repeat orders for their old stock and new ships. The Russians may order some for their Gorshkov frigates and Su-30SM fighters.

There's a lot of domestic orders that need to be fulfilled before export orders can be considered.

All. Possibly. Or DRDO officials might be bragging as usual. Every country "enquires" about a weapon system doesnt mean they are going to buy it.
Secondly India should be wary of China, probably scared. Yes. Remember China hardly made a noise from 1990-2010, especially under Hu Jintao, even didnt pursue any issues aggressively. Cos they were keeping their heads down, concentrating on their economy. Now we should also do the same, concentrate on Manufacturing sector, apply the same rules for Chinese companies they do for Indian & US companies in China, make money and then go on aggressive mode.

I don't think Brahmos has received export clearance yet.

IA is going to induct 2 more regiments of Brahmos 1. The IAF needs 200+ Brahmos 1. The IN also has to place repeat orders for their old stock and new ships. The Russians may order some for their Gorshkov frigates and Su-30SM fighters.

There's a lot of domestic orders that need to be fulfilled before export orders can be considered.

Why LM exporting F-35 before meeting US requirement first?

Just for the tech people, I didn't receive any notification about being tagged by Shashank. Please look into this.

All. Possibly. Or DRDO officials might be bragging as usual. Every country "enquires" about a weapon system doesnt mean they are going to buy it.
Secondly India should be wary of China, probably scared. Yes. Remember China hardly made a noise from 1990-2010, especially under Hu Jintao, even didnt pursue any issues aggressively. Cos they were keeping their heads down, concentrating on their economy. Now we should also do the same, concentrate on Manufacturing sector, apply the same rules for Chinese companies they do for Indian & US companies in China, make money and then go on aggressive mode.

China was not being bullied or salami sliced by anyone in that time period. They did not have any "China" to worry about the way we do.

Why LM exporting F-35 before meeting US requirement first?

Their production capacity is designed for exports. They will make 200+ jets a year and the US forces will absorb 150 a year, which leaves 50+ for exports. There are other production lines around the world too, like Italy and Japan.

Whereas Brahmos production does not meet the armed forces' requirements alone.

Take the example I gave above. If the army want 200+ missiles, the IAF want 200+ missiles and the navy want 300 missiles and even if we assume the production rate is 150 per year, the armed forces will get all their missiles only after 5 years from now. So where is the room for exports? Production has to be shared between the three wings. And even Russia is expected to order some for their aircraft.

The only way to export the Brahmos is to increase production capacity drastically. It is happening, but who knows when. Or wait for the armed forces to stop ordering the missiles and free up the production line. Until that happens, the armed forces will not allow exports.

Their production capacity is designed for exports. They will make 200+ jets a year and the US forces will absorb 150 a year, which leaves 50+ for exports. There are other production lines around the world too, like Italy and Japan.

Whereas Brahmos production does not meet the armed forces' requirements alone.

Take the example I gave above. If the army want 200+ missiles, the IAF want 200+ missiles and the navy want 300 missiles and even if we assume the production rate is 150 per year, the armed forces will get all their missiles only after 5 years from now. So where is the room for exports? Production has to be shared between the three wings. And even Russia is expected to order some for their aircraft.

The only way to export the Brahmos is to increase production capacity drastically. It is happening, but who knows when. Or wait for the armed forces to stop ordering the missiles and free up the production line. Until that happens, the armed forces will not allow exports.

Presuming that demand is higher than production rate isn't that also a sign of incompetency? Moreover even if export we wont be exporting it in huge numbers so we can still manage with 50-100 of them being exported.

Presuming that demand is higher than production rate isn't that also a sign of incompetency? Moreover even if export we wont be exporting it in huge numbers so we can still manage with 50-100 of them being exported.

Parrikar couldn't even get the armed forces to agree to allow 10% of the capacity for export.

When the program was initially mooted, we assumed we will be making 2000 missiles in total. 500 for India, 500 for Russia and 1000 for export. But India alone will be absorbing nearly 1500 missiles. So it's not incompetence, the program itself was severely underestimated.