Tejas Mk2 (Medium Weight Fighter) - News and discussions

Just two? And not even delivered?

That's a bit underwhelming.

A correction to the earlier post. 8 were planned to be delivered by March 2021, not 12.

Some technical changes were made, which delayed the rollout initially. Lockdown killed the momentum they had built up. Some vendors in other states were still under lockdown even after HAL's lockdown in Karnataka ended. So finishing 6 by then was pretty impressive.

We can really comment on the subject only at the end of this FY. If all 16 are delivered by March 2022, which is the original deadline, then it's pretty much a success.

Reactions: Chain Smoker
There is another reality where the US and India coordinated on the Mk2 to make a joint F-36 Kingsnake that could be a joint Quad 4.5+ gen aircraft.

Attachments

• f-36KingSnake.jpg
    f-36KingSnake.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 138
Reactions: SammyBoi
There is another reality where the US and India coordinated on the Mk2 to make a joint F-36 Kingsnake that could be a joint Quad 4.5+ gen aircraft.
One doubts if India is keen at this stage to partner with the US on developing a low cost QR LCA replacement to the F-16. Ditto for the US.

India could share it's designs of the Mk-2 ( though I very much doubt it ) with the US , allow them the liberty to make necessary modifications & equip it with their own power plant , avionics , armaments , sensors etc though given the advanced nature of the US FA eco system one doubts they'd need more than 5 yrs to design & validate it before moving to mass manufacturing.

Then that means the IRST has pushed the radar even further towards the tip.

Then I suppose Mk1A's radar is bigger than the Mk2's, just that the Mk2's radar sees better use of the real estate available on it. Good to know. Then I suppose the Mk2's radar diameter is 550-600mm while the Mk1A's is more than 600mm, but compromised due to design.

Then that means the IRST has pushed the radar even further towards the tip.

Then I suppose Mk1A's radar is bigger than the Mk2's, just that the Mk2's radar sees better use of the real estate available on it. Good to know. Then I suppose the Mk2's radar diameter is 550-600mm while the Mk1A's is more than 600mm, but compromised due to design.
Which one will be the better,more dia means more TRMS,which contribute to better resolution & LPI characteristics ( if both are of same generation)

Which one will be the better,more dia means more TRMS,which contribute to better resolution & LPI characteristics ( if both are of same generation)

Mk1 and mk1A will have plenty of space available. If power supply is increased we can use more TRMs

At present we aren't able to utilize the big nose cones.

Seems like optimisation will be reached in mk2.

I couldn't help remember Sancho now ..

Reactions: Hydra