Shivalik Class (Project 17/17A) & Talwar Class Frigates

Photo of INS Shivalik taken by a French Navy Falcon 20:

View attachment 3751

Was this during an exercise or you spying on us? :p

During an exercise, Kakadu 2018 percisely. The drill was to see if MPAs could locate ships at sea with MV Asterix of the Royal Canadian Navy also taking part.

French%2BNavy%2BFalcon%2B200%2BGuardian%2Bmaritime%2Bsurveillance%2Baircraft%2Blocates%2BIndian%2BNavy%2BShip%2BINS%2BSahyadri%252C%2BRoyal%2BCanadian%2BNavy%2Bship%2BMV%2BAsterix%2B2.jpg

HMNZS Te Kaha at a distance.

French%2BNavy%2BFalcon%2B200%2BGuardian%2Bmaritime%2Bsurveillance%2Baircraft%2Blocates%2BIndian%2BNavy%2BShip%2BINS%2BSahyadri%252C%2BRoyal%2BCanadian%2BNavy%2Bship%2BMV%2BAsterix%2B3.jpg

NATO isn't above spying of course. Anyone remember when Norwegian Navy spy ship Marjata and a Norwegian Air Force P-3C snooped out INS Vikramaditya during sea trials?

NorwayP3-01.jpg

It's just business.

Last edited by a moderator:
NATO isn't above spying of course. Anyone remember when Norwegian Navy spy ship Marjata and a Norwegian Air Force P-3C snooped out INS Vikramaditya during sea trials?

NorwayP3-01.jpg

It's just business.

Yes, I remember. Building a threat library of the ship's emissions (after the refit), I see. :cool:

Btw, can anyone tell me what is that line these three Talwar-class frigates (INS Trikand, Tabar & Teg) are dragging between them?

DOFuhTIUIAEyTqA.jpg:large

Last edited:
Reactions: Hellfire
During an exercise, Kakadu 2018 percisely. The drill was to see if MPAs could locate ships at sea with MV Asterix of the Royal Canadian Navy also taking part.

French%2BNavy%2BFalcon%2B200%2BGuardian%2Bmaritime%2Bsurveillance%2Baircraft%2Blocates%2BIndian%2BNavy%2BShip%2BINS%2BSahyadri%252C%2BRoyal%2BCanadian%2BNavy%2Bship%2BMV%2BAsterix%2B2.jpg

HMNZS Te Kaha at a distance.

French%2BNavy%2BFalcon%2B200%2BGuardian%2Bmaritime%2Bsurveillance%2Baircraft%2Blocates%2BIndian%2BNavy%2BShip%2BINS%2BSahyadri%252C%2BRoyal%2BCanadian%2BNavy%2Bship%2BMV%2BAsterix%2B3.jpg

NorwayP3-01.jpg

It's just business.
No, no.
It's just to have some nice pics.... :LOL:

Btw, can anyone tell me what is that line these three Talwar-class frigates (INS Trikand, Tabar & Teg) are dragging between them?

"Formation" or "distance" lines to keep them on an even heading during at-sea replenishment. The knots on the lines are placed at an equal distance and help the ships know where each other is, since replenishment underway is extremely difficult. It's hard to see in that picture, but F44 and F51 are conducting a replenishment. You can see their lines extended behind the forward VLS on either ship.

NATO generally uses anchor lines instead.

Capture.PNG

181026-N-GY475-0188_(credit US Navy).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Here's an up-close view of a distance line:

US_Navy_100324-N-7948C-286_Sailors_assigned_the_Whidbey_Island-class_amphibious_dock-landing_ship_USS_Gunston_Hall_%28LSD_44%29_heave_on_a_phone-and-distance_line.jpg

Used to, as it's name suggests, keep a safe distance between ships during replenishment. Generally a distance line is accompanied by a phone line between the two ships as well. They're not too well known for non-service sailors since they aren't very glamorous, but they're an absolute necessity for safe replenishment.

I also enlarged, but not enhanced, the picture of the Talwars to show their replenishment at sea, which would mandate the usage of a distance line for safety:

Capture.PNG

rotatory ones, so might be long range search radar.
That's not what I meant. All secondary radars on ships are "volume search radars" meaning they are long range radars. What I was asking is what model is that ? looks like a Thales SMART-L to me, but we don't use any of them.
1553101101298.png

The shtil-1 arm launcher on the shivalik and talwars are an anachronism.Still waiting for their replacement in mid life refit with VLS.These ships are pretty shit at aerial defense(shivalik thankfully has barak)

The shtil-1 arm launcher on the shivalik and talwars are an anachronism.Still waiting for their replacement in mid life refit with VLS.These ships are pretty shit at aerial defense(shivalik thankfully has barak)

The currently operated Shtil-1 can defeat Harpoon, Exocet, Uran, CM-802 and other subsonic threats quite well.

And, in a few years, 3 Talwars and 3 Delhi class ships will get the Shtil VLS. So we will have only 6 ships with the arm launcher by say 2025, which is good enough. The upcoming Talwars will get the Shtil VLS as well.

Shivalik's Barak is just CIWS. Although it does provide more robust defence than just the Shtil does.

I'd be more worried about our Rajput class destroyers though. The first 3 ships in particular have an entirely obsolete air defence system.

The currently operated Shtil-1 can defeat Harpoon, Exocet, Uran, CM-802 and other subsonic threats quite well.

And, in a few years, 3 Talwars and 3 Delhi class ships will get the Shtil VLS. So we will have only 6 ships with the arm launcher by say 2025, which is good enough. The upcoming Talwars will get the Shtil VLS as well.

Shivalik's Barak is just CIWS. Although it does provide more robust defence than just the Shtil does.

I'd be more worried about our Rajput class destroyers though. The first 3 ships in particular have an entirely obsolete air defence system.

Hopefully this happens quickly,i don't have a problem with the shtil-1 missiles which is similar to chinese hq-16.I have problem with lack of VLS.The arm launcher cant handle saturation attacks.I am still waiting for delhi class to be upgraded with shtil vls and brahmos and actas sonar.If this happens before 2025 then i suppose its alright.Rajput class are dead weight,just retire them already.Put Brahmos on OPVs,more or less same thing as having rajputs.

Hopefully this happens quickly,i don't have a problem with the shtil-1 missiles which is similar to chinese hq-16.I have problem with lack of VLS.The arm launcher cant handle saturation attacks.I am still waiting for delhi class to be upgraded with shtil vls and brahmos and actas sonar.If this happens before 2025 then i suppose its alright.Rajput class are dead weight,just retire them already.Put Brahmos on OPVs,more or less same thing as having rajputs.

The Rajput class could be replaced by whatever will follow P-15B. Probably a P-15C or a new class of destroyers. Of course, even the P-17As can take over the Rajput's role in the Eastern Fleet.