Rafale DH/EH of Indian Air Force : News and Discussions

The rafale (vs the f-35) seen by the chinese .... in mandarin ... if someone has a solution to translate I'm a taker. I can only say that the chinese have spent much more time on the rafale than on the F-35. Probably to present it better.

Some videos are unpublished for me otherwise there are childout images.

Exactly TEN YEARS have passed since RAFALE DECISION was announced on 31 JAN 2012

Which is precisely why I'm confident, 2022 is the year destined for big things to happen including for Rafale.

Is 2022 an Indian private joke in relation with the cycle of Brahma? (10^22)

5-6 years ago I made a lot of claims, after MMRCA died. Like we are gonna become more domestic industry driven (from 30-70%, we have switched to 65-35% today), like we will pretty much catch up with the USAF defence budget in terms of procurement before 2030 (difference has dropped from about 7 times to just 3 times today) and that a lot of our main long term programs and investments in defence will happen from 2022 onwards. This is how I got the moniker Resident Optimist by the one who-shall-not-be-named.

2022 is special because we used to have 5-year plans since 1951 to a little after Modi. Modi switched to long term planning in 2015. Based on our previous plan, our main procurements would have begin from 2022-2027, ie, the 14th Plan. The 13th Plan was already decided by the previous govt, obviously, so there was room only for small contracts by then, without significant spending increase, which the govt refrained from doing.

Basically I had stated that our biggest deals will be signed during this plan period. And it's happening now with the SSN, P-75I, MRFA (TE MII), LCA Mk2 (SE MII), AMCA, artillery programs, FICV, FRCV, BMD P2, LUH, LCH, new Indian weapons etc. I had pointed out that until 2022, all we will do is make piecemeal stop gap measures only to get minimum capabilities quickly, particularly the IAF, like 36 Rafale, 5 S-400s, 83 LCA Mk1A, Apache, Chinook etc. IA and IN also got some small deals, like the K9 Vajra, M777, a few Apache, infantry gear, Talwar class etc.

This was also based on my opinion that we will slowly start matching USAF's defence spending with double digit growth in the procurement budget by 2030, which is already happening. The IAF is at $7.5B compared to USAF's 22.9B as of 2021 (3 times). By 2027, we should be at $12+B (merely 35% growth, so 9% every year, easy), which should be around our peak spending since we do not have to spend as much as the USAF. So we won't have financial problems stopping these programs after 2022. To put that in perspective, we only need around $5B every year to buy 24 Rafale and 24 LCA Mk2. Leaving $7B for everything else, most of our other aircraft procurements cost just $200-300M a year. It's enough money to pay for 2 more fighter jets simultaneously, so AMCA and Su-57/NGAD/F-35, whatever.

Hence 2022, baby!!! It's happening!!!

Reactions: SammyBoi
So you see @Amarante though we could afford to add 6 Rafales every year since 2012 as per the above calculations , we've refrained from doing so since as per Brahma Muhurata ( auspicious period ) which falls in 2022 all such procurements must be done in that year .

Hence , 2022 onwards , IAF is in for a bonanza. Basically we're in a position to add any aircraft from the world in decent numbers including the F-35 & if we haven't done so watch out for 2022.

Stick around . You'd learn a lot about Indian defence & it's procurement policy especially from 👆.

@randomradio, thanks a lot for the explanations. I better understand certain things.
And «… catch up with the USAF defence budget in terms of procurement before 2030…», wow!

@_Anonymous_ thank you too. I stay aware, as adviced.

Then let me wish you a happy2022BrahmaMuhurata!

(Learnt it begins 1h46mn before dawn, and the muharata in itslef lasts 46mn, which let 46mn before dawn.
So, if my «Hindi» is correct, that means for 2022: 46 RafaleM for the IN, and 46 more for the IAF.)

Reactions: SammyBoi
In percentage of GDP, or in absolute value? The latter would be difficult to believe; they're at over 150 billion USD per year.
Will come to know tomorrow, as usual FM may not even mention defense allocation in her budget speech.

In percentage of GDP, or in absolute value? The latter would be difficult to believe; they're at over 150 billion USD per year.
You've just quoted a post which also contained some impressive feats of mathematical genius unseen since Fermat's Theorem which incidentally was recently solved after more than three & a half centuries.

Are you suggesting those figures are false or are you suggesting India's defence budget especially the Air Force's is a bit like Fermat's Theorem & the solution ( as detailed in the post you've quoted ) is wrong ?

• Haha
Reactions: Amarante
Not quite there yet, although third, the US is hard to beat. 10 times more.
He was saying about USAF budget, not entire US defense budget

I'm not by nature an optimist. Perhaps this site brings that out in me or perhaps it's what we've undergone for the past 2 years or it probably is 2022 doing it.

Sometimes I think - how many man-hours indians (including me) are wasting waiting for orders that never come.

Just remember, after 2022 comes 2023 and then 2024 and there may not be an order and life still goes on (some informed person tweeted about F-35. So, we have one more aircraft to discuss now).....

Personally, withdrawal of farm laws have quite an impact on me.....recently, I was discussing my "pain" with my friend.....and he said something that I will try to remember "India always dis-appoints both optimists & pessimists".

So, beware both optimists & pessimists - you are in for disappointment.

Sometimes I think - how many man-hours indians (including me) are wasting waiting for orders that never come.

Just remember, after 2022 comes 2023 and then 2024 and there may not be an order and life still goes on (some informed person tweeted about F-35. So, we have one more aircraft to discuss now).....

Personally, withdrawal of farm laws have quite an impact on me.....recently, I was discussing my "pain" with my friend.....and he said something that I will try to remember "India always dis-appoints both optimists & pessimists".

So, beware both optimists & pessimists - you are in for disappointment.
The opposite of being an optimist is a pessimist. Not being an optimist need not necessarily translate into being a pessimist though that's the first thought that comes to one's mind & in most cases stays there .

On the spectrum which contains optimism at one extreme end & pessimism at the other end you'd find realism in the middle.

Btw in case you aren't aware 2025 is the new 2022. In case you didn't read this before remember you read it here first .

As the year rolls on & some of what we've expected to happen doesn't , don't be surprised to see a new date of 2025 being touted by the usual suspects , of course.