Rafale DH/EH of Indian Air Force : News and Discussions

Is it f4 standard or f3 standard? ( if you are allowed to talk about it only)
All new Rafales ordered in 2021 and beyond will be F4 and F4.2 capable. With a very rapid upgrade to F4.2 for those not going directly to this standard.
This concerns Egypt, the six new Greeks, Indonesia, Switzerland, Finland and perhaps one day India.

Reactions: Hydra
All new Rafales ordered in 2021 and beyond will be F4 and F4.2 capable. With a very rapid upgrade to F4.2 for those not going directly to this standard.
This concerns Egypt, the six new Greeks, Indonesia, Switzerland, Finland and perhaps one day India.
Good, Rafale is getting the market attention it deserves, more international orders means more room for upgrade and price reduction.

• Agree
Reactions: Bon Plan
206713686_4361115983932665_1151982558255568673_n.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Killbot and Herciv
There was some really good info in Corporal Frisk's blog comments section today. It seems obvious that Finland and Switzerland have actually some very different needs. Therefore it is not possible to deduce the answer to HX from Switzerland's choice.

By the way the population of Switzerland is almost twice as big as Finland's but the area of Finland is eight times as big. But no mountains. These facts must also affect the choice.

I wonder if Finland is considering hypersonic weapons for the future. If so, then Rafale would be in a better position than F-35 regarding this detail.

There was some really good info in Corporal Frisk's blog comments section today. It seems obvious that Finland and Switzerland have actually some very different needs. Therefore it is not possible to deduce the answer to HX from Switzerland's choice.

By the way the population of Switzerland is almost twice as big as Finland's but the area of Finland is eight times as big. But no mountains. These facts must also affect the choice.

I wonder if Finland is considering hypersonic weapons for the future. If so, then Rafale would be in a better position than F-35 regarding this detail.

One of the biggest differences is Finland has an enemy, the Swiss don't.

I found some info that Rafale's active cancellation also works against VHF and UHF radars. This sounds very good.

Where did you find that out?

Generally, it's not possible to carry such large antennas with sufficiently large apertures. So it's unlikely for the F3 versions to carry these at the very least.

Where did you find that out?

Generally, it's not possible to carry such large antennas with sufficiently large apertures. So it's unlikely for the F3 versions to carry these at the very least.
It's a guy called "Michael Winter" on Quora. He seems to have a reputation for exaggarating things on Quora, so I don't know what to make out of it. It is VERY HARD for a layman to figure out what is true about EW.

Here is some cut-and-paste of his writing:

"SPECTRA is much more than an ECM suite. It took about 40 years of researches to create its active stealth part, it started at the ONERA in 1960, with the goal of making French ballistic missiles launches undetected. In fact, the first application was the fact that France was the first country on Earth introducing a class of stealth navy-vessels, the La Fayette class of frigates.
---
Rafale’s stealth is already long more efficient than the US-used stealth since the Soviet theory of physical diffraction (cooked by Petr Ufimtsev in 1962. He also wrote a very interesting book about how countering the stealth he himself created!) is USELESS AGAINST RADARS within the E-band (2–3 GHz) or lower frequencies, in other terms, any VHF or UHF radar defeats the US/China-used stealth…

It’s different with Rafale’s active cancellation which is also active against VHF or UHF while it also allows to “delete” the RCS of external payloads---"

-On CF's blog, one guy says that Gripen has built-in jamming against VHF radars. Well, active cancellation is not necessarily the same thing as "jamming". But if Gripen can do it, then Rafale can.

I don't know myself! I am just trying to get some idea from stuff I find with google.

Reactions: Herciv