Rafale DH/EH of Indian Air Force : News and Discussions

I would like to make a few small calculations in order to size a maintenance team in relation to the number of Rafale pilots.
Let's take the French case where the pilots fly 180 hours a year, and where there are 1.4 pilots per Rafale, which means 250 hours of flight per year.
Normally we find that it takes 8 hours of maintenance per flight hour.

In one year there are about 1600 hours of work in France, so the maintenance of a Rafale will require 250 hours * 8 = 2000 hours of work or 1.25 maintainers.

In the documentation produced for the Finnish call for tenders, it is said that the Rafale can fly 1000 hours per year, in which case it will require 4 times more maintenance, i.e. 5 maintainers per Rafale. For the pilots, the constraint is to distribute the flying hours so that they are all well trained. If we want to maintain this objective, we must also multiply their number by 4, i.e. have 5.6 pilots per plane. If this objective is temporarily abandoned, we will be able to be satisfied with 3 pilots.

In the same Finnish document it is said that the Rafale can withstand a one-month surge during which it would have 350 hours.
It would therefore require 2800 hours of maintenance but in a month there are 160 hours of work, which gives a team of 18 maintainers.
In addition, in a month there are 720 hours, 350 of which are used to fly, so the 2800 hours of work must be spread over the remaining 370, so at least 8 people must work permanently on the Rafale when it is not flying, so this will only be possible if we have 3 teams of 8 maintainers who work in turn day and night on the Rafale when it is not flying.
5 pilots would probably be enough, but we may want to put more for training reasons.

All that's just statistics. You are applying peacetime statistics to wartime performance.

8 hours per flight hour is over a long period of time when the aircraft is down for full servicing. An operational aircraft won't require 8 hours, it can manage many days with just 1st level maintenance, maybe not even that.

All that's just statistics. You are applying peacetime statistics to wartime performance.

8 hours per flight hour is over a long period of time when the aircraft is down for full servicing. An operational aircraft won't require 8 hours, it can manage many days with just 1st level maintenance, maybe not even that.
  • Case N°1 is not a case of war, it is the normal case in France in times of peace.
  • Case N°2 is not a case of war either, it is a case where we want to temporarily compensate for an insufficient number of available aircraft. With the Rafale it is enough to have the same number of pilots and maintenance technicians as if the aircraft you need were actually available.
  • Case N° 3 is a war case, and the organisation I propose is a wartime organisation. Because you can't last a month doing only first level maintenance.

Reactions: Killbot and Herciv

Owner of Dassault aviation dies in helicopter crash...
RIP...🙏🙏
Translation
Olivier Dassault loved France. Captain of industry, deputy, local elected representative, reserve commander in the air force: throughout his life, he never stopped serving our country, to make the most of its assets. His sudden death is a great loss. Thoughts to his family and loved ones.

Air Force to induct second squadron of Rafale fighter aircraft in April

The Indian Air Force will induct the second squadron of Rafale fighter aircraft in mid-April. This squadron will be inducted at the Hashimara Air Force base in West Bengal.

In a move to strengthen itself on the eastern front along the China border, the Indian Air Force will be inducting the second squadron of the Rafale fighter aircraft in mid-April.

This squadron will be inducted at the Hashimara Air Force base in West Bengal.

Sources said the air force would be moving the fighter aircraft at Hashimara in May. Training of fighter pilots in France is also getting over around the same time, they said.

By the time the second squadron gets operationalised, the Indian Air Force would have more than 20 Rafale fighter jets.

In September last year, five Rafale fighter jets were inducted into the Indian Air Force at the Ambala air force base.

"The induction of Rafale jets is a big and stern message for the entire world, especially to those eyeing our sovereignty. This kind of induction is very important for the kind of atmosphere that has been created on our borders," Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said on the occasion.

The multirole Rafale jets have been built by French aerospace major Dassault Aviation and are known for air-superiority and precision strikes.

The first batch of five Rafale jets arrived in India on July 29 last year, nearly four years after India signed an inter-governmental agreement with France to procure 36 of the aircraft at a cost of Rs 59,000 crore.

The delivery of all 36 aircraft is expected to be completed by the end of 2022.

Out of 36 Rafale jets, 30 will be fighter jets and six will be trainers. The trainer jets will be twin-seater and they will have almost all the features of the fighter jets.

With two squadrons complete in the next one year, the IAF's depleting fleet strength will get a push. These two squadrons with 18 jets each at Amabala and Hasimara have been planned keeping in mind the operations against Pakistan on the western front and China in the eastern sector.

Hasimara earlier had a MiG 27 squadron that has now been decommissioned.

Hasimara's is a strategic base for Air Force operations as its close to Bhutan. The Chumbi Valley where lies a tri-junction between India-Bhutan and China is close to Doklam where a standoff took place in 2017.

In case of an attack by China thrusting to cut off India's north region by targeting the Siliguri corridor Hasimara would be the crucial air base for a a counter attack.

The Rafale is considered an omni role aircraft, which means it can carry out at least four missions in one sortie simultaneously.

The rafale is battle hardened and has been used in Afghanistan, Libya and Syria and armed with potent weapon package the fighter jet is lethal.

If the need be Rafale can also be nuclear enabled making it more lethal.

The fighter jet is armed with potent meteor and scalp missiles that will enhance air strike capabilities and air dominance of the Indian Air Force.

The meteor is a beyond visual range air to air missile and Scalp is a long range cruise missile that can be launched from the aircraft for deep strikes to hit fixed and stationary targets.

Reactions: Herciv
Thats why we required an in house strategic bomber program.
But cany help, we indians always sees economic feasibility over utility, we lacks vision and long-term planning.
America and Russia are two of the countries having strategic bombers, the cost of operating them is too expensive.
The cost of 1 unit of B-2 is a billion dollars.

Reactions: Killbot
America and Russia are two of the countries having strategic bombers, the cost of operating them is too expensive.
The cost of 1 unit of B-2 is a billion dollars.
Our Himalayan neighbour is operating bombers,and they are fast approaching toba stealth bomber.
And as I said in my my post,you too are seeing economic feasibility,why don't you ask government to dismiss the entire defense expenditure,if you are concerned about economy?

JY7yu7h.png

Reactions: Killbot and Karan
Our Himalayan neighbour is operating bombers,and they are fast approaching toba stealth bomber.
And as I said in my my post,you too are seeing economic feasibility,why don't you ask government to dismiss the entire defense expenditure,if you are concerned about economy?
How many Rolls Royces and Bentleys you have in your garage?
Don’t think too much about expenditures, it’s the luxury and Comfort only that matters.

So again How many ?

PS: Bhai ek kahawat hai Hindi main ki Bikhariyon ko sapne jyada aate hain.

How many Rolls Royces and Bentleys you have in your garage?
Don’t think too much about expenditures, it’s the luxury and Comfort only that matters.

So again How many ?

PS: Bhai ek kahawat hai Hindi main ki Bikhariyon ko sapne jyada aate hain.
Glad that you didn't bring similar argument on Rafale.

And nobody is interested in your sarcasm, give me any other reason other than economic burden for not inducting a bomber.

• Haha
Reactions: AbRaj