Opinion - Is there Really a “Shortage” in Projected Squadron Numbers?

I have my doubts with the above due to mindset of our dpsu/mod/forces combined. The culture of piggybacking is going to seep in, every one involved will raise their hands saying "not my job", and the french will go home with a bitter taste in their mouth. The only remote chance that this conglomerate works is to get a consortium of Indian Private players involved in the mix. I am not as optimistic at this stage.

Little thought is given to the engine, but has bigger strategic impact that 400 LCA's AMCA's + other platforms combined and the magic numbers that seem to be of grave concern.

In a way that is a tangible risk what you pointed..

the first and foremost risk is MOD approving such a plan. Second being the people in the system adjusting to such changes. Third is DPSU and the Unions associated giving it a political color. Fourth is forces who might have a change of heart if timelines are not met and project management failure continues. Fifth is the Foreign OEM participating with true intent and not making a mockery at a later date by either throwing tantrums or passing something technically meeting the papers but in reality being nothing.

I hope and pray adequate mitigation and common sense prevails there.

About Engine i believe Safran will be key when their Goa facility comes up. They are there with Shakti but need to look beyond it and develop better ones. Same lies with GTRE Phase 1 65/98 and Phase 2 72/110 Kn.

A better iteration in helo and a better one in Safransied Kaveri family with Safran HAL and all other pvt public MIC should be the prime one to look forward too.

For reference

Rafale equipment provider to set up manufacturing facility in Goa: Parrikar

ANI
PublishedOct 23, 2016, 5:04 pm IST
Sattari (Goa): France-based Safran group, which provides supplies to Rafale fighter jet manufacturers, has been asked to set up a facility which manufactures a small component of the company's import requirement from Goa, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said on Sunday.

Speaking during the inauguration of a helicopter maintenance and repair centre in Sattari, in North Goa, Parrikar said that he hoped to see the manufacturing facility develop from a copter repair and maintenance operation to a helicopter engine manufacturing facility.
"Flacma, a part of the Safran group, supplies 20-25 per cent components to Rafale. So I told them to come with a small component of their requirement of importing from India into Goa," Parrikar said.

The Defence Minister also said that out of the total value of Rs. 59,000 crore Rafale fighter jet deal, nearly Rs. 30,000 crore have been dealt with the procurement of equipment for the manufacture of the jets.

Parrikar said that the helicopter maintenance and repair facility in Goa was "vital" as far as the military facilities in Western India were concerned.

"In Western region, engines could be directly sent here so that they do not have to struggle at the base depot. This is first phase," the Defence Minister said.

"From there it will slowly expand to making some parts and components and we wish that we can go for engine manufacturing," he added.

"If HAL is to maintain engines, then they should tie-up Safran and come out with Make in India for manufacturing of engines. We are going to require between 6,000 to 10,000 engines in next eight to ten years, which is a big enough quantity and most of them are Safran engines," he said, adding that the Goa government was willing to provide land to facilitate the project.

Rafale equipment provider to set up manufacturing facility in Goa: Parrikar

Reactions: Sathya
IAF is not at all short of fighter squadrons. the sanctioned strength is 41.5 fighter squadrons to fight a three front war as of 1969. Now what all did this number contain? It had three squadrons of bombers like Canberra, 10 squadrons of CAS aircraft which were Mig-21ms, two squadrons for coastal security including defense of Mumbai and one sea strike squadron and one Recce squadron comprising a mix of Canberra, Mig-21s/25s.. Rest were purely fighter/strike squadrons.
Now what we have is that two squadrons of attack helos replaced two CAS squadrons, The recce job is now multirole job, The sea strike role is now with IN including defense of Mumbai, Goa and Bombay High. So the effective strength of IAF based on its roles, is same even today with just 35 sqns.