Naxalite–Maoist insurgency: Updates and Discussions

New Anti-Maoist strategy delivers results, Red Corridor shrinks to 58 districts
Neeraj Chauhan | TNN | Updated: Jan 24, 2018, 05:11 IST
NEW DELHI: A redrawn counter-insurgency strategy, backed by real-time intelligence through use of modern technology like drones and involving coordinated day and night operations by security personnel, to target Maoists deep inside the jungles has brought down the number of districts afflicted by left-wing extremist violence to 58.

Latest data compiled by CRPF shows that the number of districts under the grip of Maoist violence has dropped significantly since 2015, with over 90% of attacks being reported from only four states — Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Odisha.

While 75 districts across nine states reported violent attacks by Naxals in 2015, the number came down to 67 in 2016 and dropped to 58 in 2017, touted as the best year for the security forces engaged in anti-Maoist operations.

Officials attributed the success to the revamped strategy to target senior Maoist leaders and their informers with enhanced and precise intelligence. Officials said there are more joint operations by the CRPF, the IAF, the BSF, the ITBP and state forces. Along with the operations, the administration is speeding up development work, including installation of mobile phone towers and construction of roads, besides setting up police stations in remote villages.

CRPF director general Rajeev Rai Bhatnagar told TOI, "The past year, we have hit the Naxals in their den. Our coordination with state police, intelligence agencies and armed forces has been exceptional. The focus has been on leaders, over ground operatives and sympathisers. The Naxals are not able to move arms, funds and their senior leaders from one place to another."

He said the influence of Naxals is now restricted to only three pockets — Bastar-Sukma (having an area of around 1200 sq km), AOB (Andhra-Odisha Border — 2,000 sq km) and Abujmaad forest area (4,500 sq km). "There is a security vacuum and administration has not been able to completely access these areas," Bhatnagar said.

In terms of operations, with over 150 cadres of CPI (Maoist) killed, 2017 was one of the most successful years for the security forces. The anti-Naxal strategy was revamped after home minister Rajnath Singh met CMs of Naxal-affected states in May last year following the killing of 25 CRPF men in Sukma. Singh has said that Naxal violence has come down by 60%.

In an internal policy document of Naxals — 'Action Plan 2017-2022' — recovered by agencies recently, Maoists themselves admit that 140 of their comrades, including 30 women, were killed by security forces in 2017. The document, accessed by TOI, says many of its important leaders were also killed by the forces.

New Anti-Maoist strategy delivers results, Red Corridor shrinks to 58 districts - Times of India

New Anti-Maoist strategy delivers results, Red Corridor shrinks to 58 districts
A redrawn counter-insurgency strategy, backed by real-time intelligence through use of modern technology like drones and involving coordinated day and night operations by security personnel, to target Maoists deep inside the jungles has brought down the number of districts afflicted by left-wing extremist violence to 58.

Latest data compiled by CRPF shows that the number of districts under the grip of Maoist violence has dropped significantly since 2015, with over 90% of attacks being reported from only four states — Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Odisha.

While 75 districts across nine states reported violent attacks by Naxals in 2015, the number came down to 67 in 2016 and dropped to 58 in 2017, touted as the best year for the security forces engaged in anti-Maoist operations.
Officials attributed the success to the revamped strategy to target senior Maoist leaders and their informers with enhanced and precise intelligence. Officials said there are more joint operations by the CRPF, the IAF, the BSF, the ITBP and state forces. Along with the operations, the administration is speeding up development work, including installation of mobile phone towers and construction of roads, besides setting up police stations in remote villages.
CRPF director general Rajeev Rai Bhatnagar told TOI, "The past year, we have hit the Naxals in their den. Our coordination with state police, intelligence agencies and armed forces has been exceptional. The focus has been on leaders, over ground operatives and sympathisers. The Naxals are not able to move arms, funds and their senior leaders from one place to another."

He said the influence of Naxals is now restricted to only three pockets — Bastar-Sukma (having an area of around 1200 sq km), AOB (Andhra-Odisha Border — 2,000 sq km) and Abujmaad forest area (4,500 sq km). "There is a security vacuum and administration has not been able to completely access these areas," Bhatnagar said.

In terms of operations, with over 150 cadres of CPI (Maoist) killed, 2017 was one of the most successful years for the security forces. The anti-Naxal strategy was revamped after home minister Rajnath Singh met CMs of Naxal-affected states in May last year following the killing of 25 CRPF men in Sukma. Singh has said that Naxal violence has come down by 60%.

In an internal policy document of Naxals — 'Action Plan 2017-2022' — recovered by agencies recently, Maoists themselves admit that 140 of their comrades, including 30 women, were killed by security forces in 2017. The document, accessed by TOI, says many of its important leaders were also killed by the forces.
New Anti-Maoist strategy delivers results, Red Corridor shrinks to 58 districts - Times of India

Top Maoist leader gunned down in Jharkhand’s Garu forest

The security forces gunned down a senior CPI (Maoist) leader Birbal Oraon, who was recently elevated to the rank of Bihar-Jharkhand Special Area Committee (BJSAC) member, in an encounter in Garu forests in Jharkhand’s Latehar district on Thursday night.
Buoyed by the achievement, senior Jharkhand police officers asked the CPI (Maoist) cadres to surrender or meet the similar fate.
The special assault group from the Jharkhand’s elite strike force Jharkhand Jaguar (JJ) engaged the CPI (Maoist) squads led by BJSAC member Birbal and area commander Chandan Singh in two encounters within four hours before gunning down the prized naxalite in the second round.
Birbal carried a cash reward of Rs 2 lakh on his head.
Encounters ensued near the Bheetar Pandra village under the Garu police station in the district when the special assault group was combing forests following intelligence input about the movement of Maoists’ squads in the area.
The place of occurrence, more than 30 km from Garu police station, lies in the bordering areas of Latehar and Gumla districts.
Palamu range deputy inspector general of police (DIG) Vipul Shukla said, “Birbal’s body was found after the second round of encounter stopped. This is a major achievement of our boys who conducted the operation with precision. He carried a cash award of Rs 2 lakh.”
The DIG further said the blood stains at the spot indicated that other Maoists also suffered injuries in the gun battle. A search operation is going on to locate injured ultras.
The DIG said, “The Maoists should lay down arms otherwise they will meet similar fate as we are committed to wipe them out.”
The subsequent search operation led to the recovery of rifle, live cartridges, detonators, raw materials for assembling IEDs, cash, blankets, medicines, uniforms, jackets and other items of personal use from the spot.
Recently, the JJ personnel had also gunned down a commander of a Maoist splinter group near Latehar.

Top Maoist leader gunned down in Jharkhand’s Garu forest

Reactions: Aravind
Jawan killed in IED blast triggered by Naxals in Chattisgarh
PTI |Published: 11th February 2018 02:21 PM
RAIPUR: A jawan of the District Reserve Guard (DRG) was killed when a pressure bomb planted by Naxals went off in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur district this morning, police said.

The DRG team was out on an area domination operation in a forest near Tippapuram, about 500 kms from here, when the blast occurred, a senior police official told PTI.

While cordoning off a nearby forest bordering Telangana, an assistant constable of the DRG inadvertently stepped on the pressure improvised explosive device (IED) connection following which it exploded, he said.

The security personnel, identified as Sondhar Hemla, died on the spot, he said.
Efforts were on to retrieve the body from the forest, the official said, adding that a combing operation was underway in the region.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...tisgarh-1771724.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Rest In Peace! :(

DWdiQnLW4AE3c7Y.jpeg
Selli.ng death to fuel destruction. Maoists pumping drugs in veins of youth to buy weapons and explosives to kill innocents.

Good, kill all the communist Naxals with no mercy, looks like the support for Jungal Naxals from Urban Naxals has been hampered that is why they are getting defeat after defeat.

• Agree
Reactions: Aravind and Bali78
Good, kill all the communist Naxals with no mercy, looks like the support for Jungal Naxals from Urban Naxals has been hampered that is why they are getting defeat after defeat.
Why is it that the survival of communism in India is directly connected to the strength of Naxals? The way naxals are losing power, same is the way the communists are losing state after state.

Why is it that the survival of communism in India is directly connected to the strength of Naxals? The way naxals are losing power, same is the way the communists are losing state after state.
communism and naxalism in the Andhra/telangana hinterland was in full swing during the license raj - opposing the extreme lavish lifestyle of industrialists (who are usually just sycophants of the family).
it is diminishing rapidly due to many people getting opportunities to make it big in a capitalist market.
the current Managing director of a leading cement factory in AP was once a Naxal who went underground - fighting for "communistic" ideology, but he is now an out and out capitalist. (not giving out the name here, but the associated cement factory now has 50% shareholding from a european country).

Last edited:
communism and naxalism in the Andhra/telangana hinterland was in full swing during the license raj - opposing the extreme lavish lifestyle of industrialists (who are usually just sycophants of the family).
it is diminishing rapidly due to many people getting opportunities to make it big in a capitalist market.
the current Managing director of a leading cement factory in AP was once a Naxal who went underground - fighting for "communistic" ideology, but he is now an out and out capitalist. (not giving out the name here, but the associated cement factory now has 50% shareholding from a european country).
In Odisha, Naxalism picked up rather late, around mid 90s and picked up really fast. When Naidu increased the heat on them, many Naxals moved their base to Odisha and Chattishgarh. I don't know abut Chattisgarh, but in Odisha their modus operandi is pretty similar to underworld. The naxal commanders are absolutely corrupt and make money from extortion. Their favorites are corrupt government officials and local businessmen. The foot soldiers are recruited from local tribes. These folks are really nice people, but can be easily manipulated. The missionaries who operate in these tribal areas are hand in glove with the Naxals and help in recruitment. Due to lack of jobs, little monthly allowance, 3 meals a day and a gun, becomes a lucrative option for many of them.

Lately, there was news of infighting among the leaders and one of their top leader, Sabyasachi Panda was arrested. Along with that, improvement in availability of jobs, made the youth to migrate out rather than joining the ranks. In last few years I haven't heard of any measure attack and naxalism is clearly loosing it's steam in Odisha.

Reactions: Aravind and Bharath
Chhattisgarh Encounter: Bodies Flown To Telangana, Identification Underway

Chhattisgarh Encounter: Bodies Flown To Telangana, Identification Underway
The Greyhounds, an anti-Naxal force, had on Friday swooped on the camp of Maoists near Pujari Kanker in Bijapur district, as a part of a joint operation with the Chhattisgarh Police. Ten Maoists, including six women, were killed in the early morning operation in which a personnel of the elite force also lost his life.

The postmortem examination will be conducted at the Bhadrachalam Area Hospital.
HYDERABAD: The bodies of eight Maoists, who were among the 10 killed in an encounter in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur district, were flown to a Telangana hospital and their identification was likely to be completed today, an official said.

The Greyhounds, an anti-Naxal force, had on Friday swooped on the camp of Maoists near Pujari Kanker in Bijapur district, as a part of a joint operation with the Chhattisgarh Police. Ten Maoists, including six women, were killed in the early morning operation in which a personnel of the elite force also lost his life.

"Bodies of two Naxals and the junior commando of Greyhounds were airlifted yesterday. Due to the inaccessibility of the location, the rest of the bodies were flown in a chopper this morning to the hospital," Superintendent of Police of Telangana's Bhadradri Kothagudem district Ambar Kishor Jha told PTI.

"We have received all the ten bodies from the encounter site. Postmortem will be conducted today. We will follow all the Supreme Court directions related to encounter cases," he said.

According to the SP, the postmortem examination will be conducted at the Bhadrachalam Area Hospital.

The identification process is also underway. "By (this) afternoon we hope to complete the process and get a clear picture," the SP said.

Security forces from Telangana and Chhattisgarh had launched the counter-insurgency operation in the forest on the inter-state border based on inputs about a gathering of a large group of ultras, officials had said.

"Susheel Kumar, a junior commando of the Greyhounds, lost his life," officials had said.

Six women were among the ultras killed in the operation which took place around 6.30 AM, the SP said.

The Chhattisgarh Police had identified two of the dead Naxals as Sanjeev, a "deputy commander", and a woman named Pedda Budri.

COMMENTSBoth were part of the protection team of Hari Bhushan, secretary of the Maoists' Telangana state committee, Deputy Inspector General of Police, South Bastar range, Sundarraj P had said.

An AK-47 among others was been recovered from the encounter site indicating the presence of of a top leader of the outfit at the site where encounter took place, a senior police official had said.

Stabbed, jawan fights 4 armed Maoists bare-handed, makes them flee
NAGPUR: C-60 commando police naik 33-year-old Gomji Mattami, posted at Gadchiroli headquarters, has taken part in as many as encounters as his age while serving in the district police since 2006. On Sunday, he proved that even bare-handed and with a stab wound in the chest, he could get the better of four Maoistsat Jambia Gatta in Etapalli taluka in Gadchiroli.
Mattami’s heroics, now being lauded across the police department, can fetch him a gallantry award next year as he not only managed to wrest back his AK-47 rifle and three magazines while blood was oozing out from his chest but also made the red guerrillas flee leaving behind the firearm and 10 live cartridges. In the injured condition too, Mattami did not rest at winning back his AK-47 but kept chasing the fleeing Maoists with a restrained firing in the busy market. The Maoists belonged to an action team that, following their regular practice, had likely targeted a solitary cop to take away his gun and ammunition in a lightning attack.
It would be almost impossible to believe seeing a cheerful Mattami at the Orange City Hospital and Research Institute (OCHRI) that he has just escaped a near certain death. Had a pistol of one of his attackers not developed a snag while being pointed towards Mattami from close range, the story would have been different. An ‘Action team’ of Maoists, comprising four operatives in plain clothes, had surrounded Mattami when he was returning to Jambia Gatta police post after bandobast at the weekly market was called off. While rest of the squad had walked ahead, Mattami stopped to speak to a classmate in the market.
Mattami recalled his left hand, that he had put in his pocket, was grabbed from behind. “I was pinned down on the ground before could realize Maoists were attacking me. Four of them had surrounded me,” he said. “One of them pulled out a pistol pointing at me and pulled the trigger. It failed to fire. It was all happening in a flash,” said Mattam, a native of Madska village around 8 kms from the spot of the incident. “At this point, I was trying to free myself while keeping a hold on my weapon and magazines. I knew their intention was to gun me down before fleeing with my weapon. I kicked the man with the gun which fell off his hand,” he said. “Suddenly one of them stabbed me in the chest with a dagger. The pain loosened my grip over my weapon (AK 47) which he managed to snatch and flee. I got up and began to run after them aiming not to allow them to run away with my weapon,” he said.
“I pounced upon the one who had my AK and snatched it back after grappling with him. I then fired at them but had to be cautious with so many people around,” he said.

Mattami’s vitals are stable as of now.

Stabbed, jawan fights 4 armed Maoists bare-handed, makes them flee - Times of India

Chhattisgarh: Over 200 women join CRPF Bastar Battalion to fight Naxals
Over 200 women from Bastar, Chhattisgarh, are breaking ground in Adhoc Training School (ATS) Ambikapur some 350 kms from capital Raipur.

Aged between 20-25 years these gritty women are part of 556 men and women belonging to the backward Scheduled Castes (SC) and Scheduled Tribe (ST), training to be inducted as special operation's group, which the CRPF plans to unleash onto the Naxals as part of its strategy.

Nirmala (name changed), 21, who belongs to a village 20 kms from Bilaspur, has trained hard to avenge the killers of her family. Three of her family members were killed by Naxals in less than a year. Her father was killed last year by Naxals on suspicion of being a police informer. She was staying in the hostel when the killings took place.
Despite her mother's apprehension to join the force, she went ahead with the decision. However, few weeks ago Niramala lost her brother as a consequence to her decision. Her brother was brutally murdered by Naxals.

women-647x717.PNG

Women training to be inducted as special operation's group to fight Naxals.

Nirmala has almost reached the completion of her course.

"I joined the force. This is my freedom (from naxals). After the killings I wanted to join CRPF,though my mother pleaded me not to. If I get the opportunity I will avenge the killing," Nirmala told India Today holding back her tears of anger and frustration.
Like Nirmala, two other girls (name withheld owing to threats) are the sole bread winners of their family.

"Poverty and unemployment made us join the force. Our standard of living has improved. We have two brothers who are unemployed. But both of us are breadwinners now," one of them said.
A brother-sister duo were also seen training separately as part of the Bastariya Battalion.
tribal-x796.PNG

"Women, I realised, are important contributors. They are there for keeping a check on Naxal women who raid villages. So, when I decided to join the CRPF, my sister, who I wanted to marry off, insisted to join. Now both of us are there. I get worried for her," said the brother adding that he also worries for her safety.

The tribal men and women in the force are from Bijapur, Sukhma, Dantewada and Jagdalpur - the four most naxal-affected districts. Besides being short and thin, the women were feeble and anemic a year ago.
Once CRPF field officers went out to these districts to convince some of them to join the force, at least 200 women mustered courage. They were trained and given nutritious food.

The appetite of women improved over the course. They gained strength from a diet comprising of fresh cheese and milk. Today these women stand as a sea of change.
"We will challenge the Naxals. We are physically and mentally prepared to take them on. We will chase them out like dogs. They have stalled development," said two trainees of the Bastariya Battalion.

Women, I realised, are important contributors. They are there for keeping a check on Naxal women who raid villages. So, when I decided to join the CRPF, my sister, who I wanted to marry off, insisted to join. Now both of us are there. I get worried for her," said the brother adding that he also worries for her safety.
The tribal men and women in the force are from Bijapur, Sukhma, Dantewada and Jagdalpur - the four most naxal-affected districts. Besides being short and thin, the women were feeble and anemic a year ago.
Once CRPF field officers went out to these districts to convince some of them to join the force, at least 200 women mustered courage. They were trained and given nutritious food.

The appetite of women improved over the course. They gained strength from a diet comprising of fresh cheese and milk. Today these women stand as a sea of change.
"We will challenge the Naxals. We are physically and mentally prepared to take them on. We will chase them out like dogs. They have stalled development," said two trainees of the Bastariya Battalion.
soldier.png

The women who barely had the strength to perform such tough tasks now aim to fire and bring down their enemy. They have aced the combat and non-combat methodology of the force, can slither down ropes and helicopter, perform strength training on beams, do push ups, run 35 kms with 20 kg weight.

"As part of the initiative taken by MHA and completed by the CRPF, in 2016 men and women were taken from the four Naxal affected districts for training. In these regions, people have seen women with weapon as Naxals, this is for the first time that they will see their own women in security force. This will be a game changer. A big message for the people of Bastar," said HK Singh, Commandant, 241 Battalion, CRPF.

Also read: Valentine festival in Naxal heartland: How Murias of Chhattisgarh keep sex crimes at zero

The MHA had relaxed the standard for height, chest weight and criteria for education was kept as minimum as Class 10 to attract more youths.
training.png

In a month's time, they will pass out as constables to take on the Naxals in their homeland. For now these women relish their freedom to break the shackles and move ahead.
Chhattisgarh: Over 200 women join CRPF Bastar Battalion to fight Naxals