oss aft dome.jpg

Aft radome(largest) of VC-11184

OSS%2Baft.png

side view, all three radomes visible

project%2Boss1.png
bridge%2BOSS%2Bclose.png

Forward radome

111841.png

TRISHUL: DRDO-Owned & Navy-Operated MRIS Vessels Take Shape, As Does The S-3 SSBN
REVEALED: India’s Next ‘Advanced Technology Vessel’
Indian Navy Ready to Receive Multiple Maneuverable Warhead Tracking Vessel
VC-11184 Missile Range Instrumentation Ship images

@Ashwin I remember you posted a video shared by Noor Alam, if you still have it plz share.

Attachments

• 34407287_260888861140472_8756730763631656960_o.jpg
    34407287_260888861140472_8756730763631656960_o.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 358
This is not VC-11184 ........ This is a completely different ship built by CSL

Yes 2 ships one by HSL, VC-11184 named after the yard she was constructed in. Second MRIS, smaller in size and meant to monitor the flight trajectories of subsonic and supersonic cruise missiles, under construction at CSL expected to enter into service in 2020. I don't know its name, if you know then Ashwin will edit the title.

Yes 2 ships one by HSL, VC-11184 named after the yard she was constructed in. Second MRIS, smaller in size and meant to monitor the flight trajectories of subsonic and supersonic cruise missiles, under construction at CSL expected to enter into service in 2020. I don't know its name, if you know then Ashwin will edit the title.

Ship No.20 ....... Technology Demonstration Vessel

DRDO Technology Demonstration Vessel - Wikipedia

Reactions: Parthu
Namaskaaram...

No more NOTAM trackings ?

Namaskaram machu ... :)

I am keeping track of it daily ...... Nothing special for the last few days ..... except PAD abort test from Sriharikota on 05 July .

Reactions: Amal
Hey guys check this out.
VC-11184 Missile Range Instrumentation Ship images-2019

She is ready to roll, apparently
1551504676718.png

For what its worth she is beautiful. Pic is from Jan 2019. If I am not mistaken her keel was laid in June 2014. That's less than 5 years construction time for a ship displacing over 15,000 metric ton. Not to mention the first of its kind designed/built in this country. Impressive to say at the least. However, we are also the same nation that is building P-15B Vizag class destroyer(7,400 metric ton) for 6 years(laid down in 2013, supposed to go for trails in 2019,don't know what happened to it). Why the inconsistency I wonder, especially given we have designed/built destroyers before. Anybody has anything new on the Vizag ?
Also notice the helo overhead in the pic ? What's going on harbor acceptance trials ?

1551767133235.png

Another photo. Notice that screen/panel like thing just ahead of the largest radome. What is that ? Any guesses ? People on other forums are saying it is a OTH radar.

Reactions: Paro
Ah......nostalgia !:giggle:
This is why I love going through my old hard drives.
One of the first screen shots of the VC11184 I've taken from Google Earth around 2017-18.

DFAVsscVoAA4BHa.jpg

Just some old photos of the VC11184 in various stages of construction :

In the shipyard a HSL, Vizag :
1571373856556.png

Superstucture of the ship from a distance :
1571374068867.png

1571374083361.png

Construction nearly over, almost set for trials :
1571374101138.png

Latest pic from October 2019, moored at HSL. Sea trials are going on :
1571374260287.png

I've asked this before, anybody know what that screen near the main radome is ? I've a theory but I am pretty sure its wrong.

Also notice the superstucture and the hull angling away from each other ? This is a RCS reduction method designed by the Directorate of Naval Design(DND) called "X-hull superstructure construct". The Kamorta class ASW corvettes were the first to use this. Good to see some designs from combat ships trickling down to non-combat ships.

Reactions: Schwifty
Just some old photos of the VC11184 in various stages of construction :

In the shipyard a HSL, Vizag :
View attachment 10871

Superstucture of the ship from a distance :
View attachment 10872
View attachment 10873

Construction nearly over, almost set for trials :
View attachment 10874

Latest pic from October 2019, moored at HSL. Sea trials are going on :
View attachment 10875

I've asked this before, anybody know what that screen near the main radome is ? I've a theory but I am pretty sure its wrong.

Also notice the superstucture and the hull angling away from each other ? This is a RCS reduction method designed by the Directorate of Naval Design(DND) called "X-hull superstructure construct". The Kamorta class ASW corvettes were the first to use this. Good to see some designs from combat ships trickling down to non-combat ships.

That's a radiation shield for the ship crew/electronics.

That's a radiation shield for the ship crew/electronics.
Yep that was my theory too. Here is the more difficult to believe part of my theory :

Since the radiation shield is so close to the radiating element its highly likely that a major part of the radiating power would be reflected off of the shield. Given the angle at which the shield is kept, a major part of the radiation will be directed rear to the ship in a skyward direction. What are the chances that these radiations bounce off the ionosphere and come back to earth, from there the waves bounce back following the same path back to the receiver. The whole system acts like a OTH radar. Of course for it to work we need a specific frequency and wavelength of radiation. We don't know much about the main radar, except that its derived from the ISRO's MOTR radar. The MOTR itself has a range of 1000 km. So who knows ?

1571394996328.png

Maybe I am just overthinking things.

Yep that was my theory too. Here is the more difficult to believe part of my theory :

Since the radiation shield is so close to the radiating element its highly likely that a major part of the radiating power would be reflected off of the shield. Given the angle at which the shield is kept, a major part of the radiation will be directed rear to the ship in a skyward direction. What are the chances that these radiations bounce off the ionosphere and come back to earth, from there the waves bounce back following the same path back to the receiver. The whole system acts like a OTH radar. Of course for it to work we need a specific frequency and wavelength of radiation. We don't know much about the main radar, except that its derived from the ISRO's MOTR radar. The MOTR itself has a range of 1000 km. So who knows ?

View attachment 10881

Maybe I am just overthinking things.

Radiation shields are made up of radiation absorbing material and those wavelength's reflected are of diffient than that of the radar. The sheiding barrier is made in such a way, it not just a reflective surface.