Mine Counter-Measures (MCM) Vessel: News and Discussion

aditya g

May 11, 2020
NA
Creating a separate thread for the jinxed MCM acquisition program.

Interesting part from a recent Bharat Shakti article:

Infrastructure Modernisation

GSL has undertaken a massive modernization drive in the last few years to increase its capacity multifold and set up infrastructure for indigenous construction of technologically advanced Vessels for the Nation’s security requirements. With consistent yearly CAPEX close to Rs 100 Crore (approx), the Shipyard has created an enviable modern infrastructure boasting of 6000 T Ship lift, dry berths, outfitting jetties, outfitting workshops and storage facilities, besides unique specialized facility for construction of advanced Mine Counter Measure Vessels (MCMVs) constructed with niche FRP technology. It is the only Shipyard in South Asia to have this unique capability of construction hulls for MCMVs in FRP. Along with modernization work, the Yard has the capacity of constructing 14 ships at various stages of fabrication and outfitting at any time

Reactions: Ashwin

Ashwin

Agent_47
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 30, 2017
Bangalore
The Navy had initially planned to get 24 Mine Sweepers, which was decreased to 12 and now 8 in numbers.

I don't know how they can drastically change numbers. Did the threat of prescription change? or is this a temporary reduction?

aditya g

May 11, 2020
NA

I don't know how they can drastically change numbers. Did the threat of prescription change? or is this a temporary reduction?

In one of the articles the anonymous quote was that this reduction is to confirm to budgetary realities and Navy reserves the right to order more later.

I do not understand what is holding up MCM procurement though, if GSL already has the FRP hull capability then what stops them from proposing their own design? Why do we need a foreign collaboration.

randomradio

Nov 30, 2017
India
I had touched upon this subject earlier.

The initial MCMV tender went the MMRCA way, it broke down during negotiations and had to be cancelled. Plus there were agents involved. It was then retendered with only the Koreans responding, which gave them a huge negotiations advantage.