MiG 21 as Kamikaze Drones

Pls quote hvt tweet in reply too. The answer is there.

HVT is saying that LCA is better suited for this

MIG 21 are very inexpensive being at the last 5 years of their airframe lives

Harpy loitering drones are 10 million a piece

MIG 21 will be less costly than that

Reactions: Aurora

Yep, we should try it with mig 21. As for future platforms, I think Ghatak UCAV would be best for this role.

Reactions: STEPHEN COHEN
Efforts should be towards getting a MALE UAV with decent payload capacity operational and then create a loitering munition which it can launch.

The IN has a requirement of Unmanned Helicopters. HAL/ADA should work onto that.

All vanity projects or projects not asked by forces should be avoided

Yep, we should try it with mig 21. As for future platforms, I think Ghatak UCAV would be best for this role.
I would also like to add mig 27 and mig 23 on the list. What we meed to do is develop a system that can be easily mated with any aircraft. We might have of 300 of these planes. And making a drone out of them should be inexpensive.
The U.S army uses the qf-16 as a targetting and training drone. I don't know how they will be able to develop an reliable system since these planes are much faster than traditional drones. The mig 23-27 could be converted to ucav for cas the project could also be used to convert the cheetah's into drones...

I would also like to add mig 27 and mig 23 on the list. What we meed to do is develop a system that can be easily mated with any aircraft. We might have of 300 of these planes. And making a drone out of them should be inexpensive.
The U.S army uses the qf-16 as a targetting and training drone. I don't know how they will be able to develop an reliable system since these planes are much faster than traditional drones. The mig 23-27 could be converted to ucav for cas the project could also be used to convert the cheetah's into drones...
AFAIK Mig 27s and Mig 23s have already been destroyed.

Conversion of the plane to the drone is more dependent on the plane with fly by wire not a mechanically operated plane, if it's fly by wire plane... you can provide the input from your drone program software with some code change. Mechanically or pneumatic systems operated plane will be difficult to convert it as a drone.

Last edited:
Conversion of the plane to the drone is more dependent on the plane with fly by wire and not a Mechanically operated plane, if it's fly by wire plane... you can provide the input from your drone program software with some code change . Mechanically or pneumatic systems operated will be difficult to convert it as a drone.

Let us see what Vietnam is able to achieve

But if successful it will be a very useful Loitering Weapon for High value targets like Ammunition storage depots and SAM sites

Reactions: TARGET