Maritime Patrol Aircraft : P-8I Neptune, Dornier-228 : News & Discussions

Ashwin

Agent_47
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 30, 2017
Bangalore
SEATTLE: The Indian Navy will get its additional P8I submarine killer, maritime reconnaissance aircraft starting July 2020, with work being initiated at the Boeing facility here to deliver an updated version of the combat plane.

The boost to the Indian fleet will come at a time when the Chinese Peoples Liberation Army Navy (PLAN), which has been growing at a scorching pace over the past decade, is projected to have over 70 submarines in service.

India, which already operates eight of the long range sea patrol aircraft, has placed an order for an additional four planes in July this year and the Navy has shared an undisclosed list of upgrades and new features that it requires on the new planes, a senior Boeing executive has shared.

"We are looking forward to delivering the options in the July 2020 timeframe. We also have a long list of upgrades that the Indian Navy is interested in, we are working on that," Mark Jordan, Chief Engineer of the P8 program said.

While the Boeing official did not share details of the upgrades being discussed, the Indian Navy is also likely to contract for a simultaneous upgrade of its existing fleet of eight plans to the latest standard. The P8 aircraft are being flown by the US Navy and Australia has got deliveries of its first aircraft last week. In addition, the Royal Air Force is also placing an order for the unique maritime patrol and combat aircraft. ..

One of the projects being worked on the aircraft – which is equipped with Harpoon anti shipping missiles – is to give it the capacity to take in fuel while flying. While the Indian P8Is are equipped with aerial refueling system, it was not a contracted requirement from the Indian side.

p-8-graphic-manu.jpg

Boeing officials said that the P8 planes are likely to be certified for aerial refueling by next year, giving a tremendous increase in range for maritime missions. While India does not have a tanker that is capable of refueling the P8I, it can take in fuel from American tankers – missions that have been made easy with the recent signing of a logistics sharing pact between the two nations.

India has been using its P8I fleet extensively for missions ranging from patrolling and spotting passing submarines and ships to search missions in the Bay of Bengal and Arabian Sea. Large scale search missions were recently carried out by the aircraft in search of the missing An 32 transporter off the Chennai coast. India is also looking to placing some aircraft at the Andaman islands to give them more reach to patrol regions of interest.

While 12 P8Is are now contracted by the Indian Navy, Boeing is hopeful for more orders with a top executive saying that the Indian side has expressed its willingness to look at adding additional planes in the future.

Read more at:
//economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/55432252.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

Reactions: Amal
Humanitarian and disaster relief?
They are going to use it as Transport or they want to use it like airborne command centre to co-ordinate efforts?

SEATTLE: The Indian Navy will get its additional P8I submarine killer, maritime reconnaissance aircraft starting July 2020, with work being initiated at the Boeing facility here to deliver an updated version of the combat plane.

The boost to the Indian fleet will come at a time when the Chinese Peoples Liberation Army Navy (PLAN), which has been growing at a scorching pace over the past decade, is projected to have over 70 submarines in service.

India, which already operates eight of the long range sea patrol aircraft, has placed an order for an additional four planes in July this year and the Navy has shared an undisclosed list of upgrades and new features that it requires on the new planes, a senior Boeing executive has shared.

"We are looking forward to delivering the options in the July 2020 timeframe. We also have a long list of upgrades that the Indian Navy is interested in, we are working on that," Mark Jordan, Chief Engineer of the P8 program said.

While the Boeing official did not share details of the upgrades being discussed, the Indian Navy is also likely to contract for a simultaneous upgrade of its existing fleet of eight plans to the latest standard. The P8 aircraft are being flown by the US Navy and Australia has got deliveries of its first aircraft last week. In addition, the Royal Air Force is also placing an order for the unique maritime patrol and combat aircraft. ..

One of the projects being worked on the aircraft – which is equipped with Harpoon anti shipping missiles – is to give it the capacity to take in fuel while flying. While the Indian P8Is are equipped with aerial refueling system, it was not a contracted requirement from the Indian side.

p-8-graphic-manu.jpg

Boeing officials said that the P8 planes are likely to be certified for aerial refueling by next year, giving a tremendous increase in range for maritime missions. While India does not have a tanker that is capable of refueling the P8I, it can take in fuel from American tankers – missions that have been made easy with the recent signing of a logistics sharing pact between the two nations.

India has been using its P8I fleet extensively for missions ranging from patrolling and spotting passing submarines and ships to search missions in the Bay of Bengal and Arabian Sea. Large scale search missions were recently carried out by the aircraft in search of the missing An 32 transporter off the Chennai coast. India is also looking to placing some aircraft at the Andaman islands to give them more reach to patrol regions of interest.

While 12 P8Is are now contracted by the Indian Navy, Boeing is hopeful for more orders with a top executive saying that the Indian side has expressed its willingness to look at adding additional planes in the future.

Read more at:
//economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/55432252.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

indiannavy signs a contract with BoeingDefense for procurement of Training Simulator for P8i aircraft + construction of 60k sq feet facility (Trg, Support & Data Handling Centre) & an on-site Comprehensive Annual Maintenance contract for 10yrs

@Aashish @vstol Jockey any idea if the annual maintenance contract comprises of PBL?
Boeing Wins Three-Year Contract to Support Indian Navy P-8I Fleet
P-8I fleet will achieve enhanced operational capability and readiness; customers to benefit from Boeing’s combined commercial and defense services collaboration

NEW DELHI, June 19, 2017 – Boeing [NYSE: BA] received a three-year contract earlier this month to continue support of the Indian Navy’s fleet of P-8I maritime patrol aircraft.

In addition to field and logistics service representatives, the contract includes engineering, support and planning. The scope will also include robust material support, including a 737-based component services program, which will be executed in conjunction with Boeing Commercial Aviation Services’ Fleet Services division.

“Our Boeing Defence India (BDI) team remains focused on executing on our commitments to customers on schedule and cost,” said Pratyush Kumar, president of Boeing India and vice president of Boeing International. “With this contract, the Indian Navy can be assured of achieving exceptional operational capability and readiness of the P-8I fleet.”

The contract continues the service Boeing provides under the program’s current initial production contract, scheduled to expire in October.

“This contract will substantially bolster Boeing’s performance-based support to the Indian Navy and should maintain or increase the operational capability of the eight-aircraft fleet,” said Stephen Schmidt, P-8I sustainment program manager.

The Indian Navy operates eight P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft at INS Rajali. Boeing is also contracted to deliver four additional P-8I aircraft to the Indian Navy. Deliveries will begin in 2020.

Since 2009, Boeing has played a key role in enhancing India’s defense capabilities and partnering with military customers on their mission requirements with the C-17 Globemaster III, P-8I and the soon-to-be-delivered AH-64 Apache and the CH-47 Chinook.

Recently, Boeing announced the establishment of BDI, a local operating entity to drive the company’s future growth objectives in India by being responsive to customer needs and growing indigenous engineers, sourcing, manufacturing and lifecycle management capabilities. BDI is the local services delivery vehicle of the soon-to-be-operational Boeing Global Services unit, a new dedicated services business focused on the needs of global defense, space and commercial customers.

News Releases/Statements

Boeing Wins Three-Year Contract to Support Indian Navy P-8I Fleet
P-8I fleet will achieve enhanced operational capability and readiness; customers to benefit from Boeing’s combined commercial and defense services collaboration

NEW DELHI, June 19, 2017 – Boeing [NYSE: BA] received a three-year contract earlier this month to continue support of the Indian Navy’s fleet of P-8I maritime patrol aircraft.

In addition to field and logistics service representatives, the contract includes engineering, support and planning. The scope will also include robust material support, including a 737-based component services program, which will be executed in conjunction with Boeing Commercial Aviation Services’ Fleet Services division.

“Our Boeing Defence India (BDI) team remains focused on executing on our commitments to customers on schedule and cost,” said Pratyush Kumar, president of Boeing India and vice president of Boeing International. “With this contract, the Indian Navy can be assured of achieving exceptional operational capability and readiness of the P-8I fleet.”

The contract continues the service Boeing provides under the program’s current initial production contract, scheduled to expire in October.

“This contract will substantially bolster Boeing’s performance-based support to the Indian Navy and should maintain or increase the operational capability of the eight-aircraft fleet,” said Stephen Schmidt, P-8I sustainment program manager.

The Indian Navy operates eight P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft at INS Rajali. Boeing is also contracted to deliver four additional P-8I aircraft to the Indian Navy. Deliveries will begin in 2020.

Since 2009, Boeing has played a key role in enhancing India’s defense capabilities and partnering with military customers on their mission requirements with the C-17 Globemaster III, P-8I and the soon-to-be-delivered AH-64 Apache and the CH-47 Chinook.

Recently, Boeing announced the establishment of BDI, a local operating entity to drive the company’s future growth objectives in India by being responsive to customer needs and growing indigenous engineers, sourcing, manufacturing and lifecycle management capabilities. BDI is the local services delivery vehicle of the soon-to-be-operational Boeing Global Services unit, a new dedicated services business focused on the needs of global defense, space and commercial customers.

News Releases/Statements
I know about this. I should have phrased my question more clearly.

The above article states that the support contract with PBL is only for 3 years and for the first 8 aircraft .
Did they extend it to 10 years with the latest contract for the entire fleet including the 4 on order??

Reactions: Aashish
The article talks of only the 8 units that we use, the 4 on order will come after 2020.
I know about this. I should have phrased my question more clearly.

The above article states that the support contract with PBL is only for 3 years and for the first 8 aircraft .
Did they extend it to 10 years with the latest contract for the entire fleet including the 4 on order??

DbykqS_WsAYg5gp.jpg

DbykyD1X4AYKfIr.jpg
DbylxDnWsAEfCqr.jpg

Naval Air Enclave (NAE) at the Cochin International Airport (CIAL), Nedumbassery commissioned by VAdm AR Karve FOC-in-C(S) for operations by large military aircraft

US Navy P-8As Use RIMPAC to Collaborate with Indian Navy, Practice in High-Traffic Environment
By: Megan Eckstein

Excerpts:

Lt. Meredith Trezise, the squadron’s tactics officer and the mission commander for the flight, took the information she had at hand and plotted out on her computer where she wanted to drop sonobuoys to locate and then track the submarine below – a U.S. submarine simulating an enemy diesel sub. Her plots sent a suggested flight pattern to pilots Lt. Chris Dennis and Lt. j.g. Nick Seeberger in the cockpit, who then wove the plane back and forth over the Pacific. Naval Air Crewman 1st Class (AWO1) Scott Thomas Wagner listened to the feed from the sonobuoys and watched as his computer translated noise in the water column into colorful graphs – which led to new locations to drop more sonobuoys, and more hairpin turns for the pilots.
The airplane eventually rose a few thousand feet, allowing an Indian Navy P-8I to swoop down and take over the mission, listening in to those sonobuoys already in the water to help find the sub and engage it if directed.

1280px-U.S._Navy_helps_search_for_Malaysia_Airlines_flight_MH370.jpg

USN P-8A

In this particular mission, the crew said, both the U.S. and Indian navies knew where the submarine below should be at various points in the exercise, allowing them to instead focus on interoperability: were they both seeing the same picture below? Could they both hear and see information from the sonobuoys the American crew dropped? Could they communicate from one plane to another, passing off the mission seamlessly? And, importantly, could they share the same airspace safely while deconflicting by flying at different altitudes?
The answer to all of the above appeared to be yes. By the end of RIMPAC, the U.S. and Indian planes were sharing high-end missions...
Trezise, the tactics officer, said that “across most forces, the principles of anti-submarine warfare are pretty similar, so if we might execute things in a slightly different way our ultimate goal is the same.” Still, seeing the “seamless” operation together that day was encouraging, in case she was ever called upon to work with the Indian Navy in a future deployment to the Pacific.
“It’s definitely beneficial because, especially with the Indians having a P-8, our planes are almost identical. They have some slightly different capabilities than we do, but we know exactly on station how they’re processing their buoys, how they’re processing their contact, so it’s pretty easy to put ourselves in their shoes,” she said.

VIDEO: Navy P-8As Use RIMPAC to Collaborate with Indian Navy, Practice in High-Traffic Environment - USNI News

@randomradio @Kvasir @Ashwin @vstol Jockey @Hellfire @Milspec @Aashish

Unlikely without an upgrade in P-8I. Not very sure what we are up to, I doubt even the higher headquarters are sure. Some people read Jane's, other read, IDR and many read PDF and decide they have a fair clue of things

Dunno why I missed this post. Probably didn't show up in the alerts.

Here, this was in the OP.
While the Boeing official did not share details of the upgrades being discussed, the Indian Navy is also likely to contract for a simultaneous upgrade of its existing fleet of eight plans to the latest standard.

Reactions: Hellfire
Navy's Reconnaissance Aircraft Makes Maiden Landing In Car Nicobar, Operational Edge To The Force | Indian Defence News

It's absolutely unbelievable. This plane has been with us for nearly a decade and this is the maiden landing of the P-8i Neptune in the A&N islands.

Well, what do you know? Wonders never cease!

That's because this is a renewed air base in Car Nicobar. This new base was destroyed in 2004 by the Tsunami and became operational this year.

Earlier we had only the airport in Port Blair and INS Baaz on Greater Nicobar.

Now we will permanently place IAF jets there.

Reactions: Himanshu and R!cK
That's because this is a renewed air base in Car Nicobar. This new base was destroyed in 2004 by the Tsunami and became operational this year.

Earlier we had only the airport in Port Blair and INS Baaz on Greater Nicobar.

Now we will permanently place IAF jets there.
14 years to rebuild??! And you're justifying it?