Maritime Patrol Aircraft : P-8I Neptune, Dornier-228 : News & Discussions

I think we bought necessary numbers for bare minimum requirements already.
They may have adequate time to get indigenous equivalent.

Only if the P-8I is complemented by drones like the Triton. The IN was interested in 8 such drones, and it costs as much as the 6 P-8Is.

Reactions: Chain Smoker
curtsey @Karthi (copied from DF-I)

1642426046051.png

X band AESA based Maritime radar , which has more than 1000 TRMs, GaAs based , primarily for ICG Dorniers.

1642426010380.png

This is an AESA based MPR for DRDOs under development Maritime Patrol Aircraft . Which can act in Air to Air mode, air to ground/sea mode , SAR mode, moving target indicator, Range Signature etc .

1642426143705.png

EO IR system for MPA, it has thermal imager , HD camera , SWIR, Laser Range Finder , Laser Pointer .

1642426171969.png

Console for displaying data this is a part Mission Management System.

1642426204205.png

1642426227942.png

EO IR Avenger S 50 developed by DRDO/ Tonbo Imaging. MWIR thermal imager , SWIR , the above one is same . It can use in both air platforms and ship's also can use RWS systems.

DRDO maritime patrol Aircraft.

1642426261224.png

Integrated mission data management system already developed , many technologies already developed just integration with the Aircraft is remaining , possibly few other techs and testing of sensors are pending . AI Based EW / ESM systems for both AWACS and MPA s are under development.

1642426388126.png

360 degree AWACS , Netra NG

1642426436084.png

DRDO ISTAR. Istar will provide near real time Surveillance and targetting data .

It will be simultaneously networked with the airborne network, ground-based network and the command and control network. It will have AESA SAR , elint , comint, EO IR , self protection suit etc .

@randomradio so we do have a MPA program ongoing. It’s shorter range and probably less capable than P8A (not I which is downgraded in many aspects) .
But together with P8I and other IN ISR assets, will provide more than enough coverage in IOR and littoral region.

Also

Last edited:
@ni8mare
CABS has been vested with the development of Multi Mission Maritime Aircraft (MMMA) for Indian Coast Guard. Accordingly a lead-in programme– AESA Based Integrated Sensor Suite (ABISS) for maritime and pollution surveillance, was awarded to develop the critical technologies - namely the AESA in X band primarily for maritime surveillance and imaging

mmma-300x296.jpg

Integrated X-Band Active Phased Array Antenna for Lead in project – ABISS: AESA Based Integrated Sensor Suite

1515933404537.png

1642427786402.png

1642427906852.png

Even NETRA mkII will get MSR
1642427543355.jpeg

Last edited:
Nyet broski. Need minimum 6 more as per IN.
I agree . They should have proceeded with this requirement of 6 nos & closed the program. But I expect the IN is fully on board with this development .

With multiple on going programs & plenty more in the pipeline for the IN , given the paucity of finances , some sort of agreement may have been concluded between the IN & MoD to prioritise some programs & procurements over others .

In all probability instead of the 30 nos the IN planned for , we may end up with more if we choose a C-295 based platform. Of course for the entire program to materialize & reach full realisation, it may take a decade & a half .

For all you know given the boundless ambitions of the DRDO they may have even committed to developing a Triton inhouse by the end of the decade . For more insider info , I'm sure by now you know whom to approach.

I agree . They should have proceeded with this requirement of 6 nos & closed the program. But I expect the IN is fully on board with this development .

With multiple on going programs & plenty more in the pipeline for the IN , given the paucity of finances , some sort of agreement may have been concluded between the IN & MoD to prioritise some programs & procurements over others .

In all probability instead of the 30 nos the IN planned for , we may end up with more if we choose a C-295 based platform. Of course for the entire program to materialize & reach full realisation, it may take a decade & a half .

For all you know given the boundless ambitions of the DRDO they may have even committed to developing a Triton inhouse by the end of the decade . For more insider info , I'm sure by now you know whom to approach.

It’s under review ( nothing is finalised yet except may be those Russian Ka utility chopper and NUH Tender cancellation) and considering the category/section this proposal is under, it will get a go ahead. DAC had already accepted the proposal of acquiring 6 against IN’s need for 10.

Hopefully those 6 will be our last imported MPAs.

curtsey @Karthi (copied from DF-I)

View attachment 22575

X band AESA based Maritime radar , which has more than 1000 TRMs, GaAs based , primarily for ICG Dorniers.

View attachment 22574

This is an AESA based MPR for DRDOs under development Maritime Patrol Aircraft . Which can act in Air to Air mode, air to ground/sea mode , SAR mode, moving target indicator, Range Signature etc .

View attachment 22576

EO IR system for MPA, it has thermal imager , HD camera , SWIR, Laser Range Finder , Laser Pointer .

View attachment 22577

Console for displaying data this is a part Mission Management System.

View attachment 22578

View attachment 22579

EO IR Avenger S 50 developed by DRDO/ Tonbo Imaging. MWIR thermal imager , SWIR , the above one is same . It can use in both air platforms and ship's also can use RWS systems.

DRDO maritime patrol Aircraft.

View attachment 22580
Integrated mission data management system already developed , many technologies already developed just integration with the Aircraft is remaining , possibly few other techs and testing of sensors are pending . AI Based EW / ESM systems for both AWACS and MPA s are under development.

View attachment 22581

360 degree AWACS , Netra NG

View attachment 22582

DRDO ISTAR. Istar will provide near real time Surveillance and targetting data .

It will be simultaneously networked with the airborne network, ground-based network and the command and control network. It will have AESA SAR , elint , comint, EO IR , self protection suit etc .

@randomradio so we do have a MPA program ongoing. It’s shorter range and probably less capable than P8A (not I which is downgraded in many aspects) .
But together with P8I and other IN ISR assets, will provide more than enough coverage in IOR and littoral region.

Also

There are three requirements for MPA, they can be classified into light, medium and heavy. One is being fulfilled by the Dornier. Another is based on the C-295, DRDO's offer to the ICG, whereas the IN is planning to get one imported. The third one is the P-8I. Of the three, only P-8I is meant for ASW, the other two are only for surface surveillance.

So, currently, there is no DRDO program that replaces the P-8I. They have delivered on the light and are working on the medium (for the ICG). If there is a project going on in the heavy category, it's not open source info yet.

It’s under review ( nothing is finalised yet except may be those Russian Ka utility chopper and NUH Tender cancellation) and considering the category/section this proposal is under, it will get a go ahead. DAC had already accepted the proposal of acquiring 6 against IN’s need for 10.

Hopefully those 6 will be our last imported MPAs.

Doesn't make sense to cancel the 6. It already dropped from 28 to 22, then 18.

• Agree
Reactions: AbRaj
It's always a balance between cost, capability, industrial capability, IP, politics and indigenous. I pretty much agree that manned ISR seems like a huge waste when drones should be able to do that job more efficiently.

Crew endurance is always the major block for operations usually. Also why risk lives.

Reactions: AbRaj
It's always a balance between cost, capability, industrial capability, IP, politics and indigenous. I pretty much agree that manned ISR seems like a huge waste when drones should be able to do that job more efficiently.

Crew endurance is always the major block for operations usually. Also why risk lives.

A minimum amount of manned ISR is still necessary though. Maybe the IN has achieved that with just 12.

First Il 38 Aircraft of Indian Navy Retires after Four Decade Service

IN 301, the first IL 38SD aircraft of the Indian Navy was decommissioned on 17 January 2022 after completing 44 glorious years of service to the nation. The aircraft was commissioned into the Indian Navy in 1977 and remained a formidable air asset throughout its service life. It was with the induction of IL 38 aircraft that the Navy moved into the arena of airborne Long Range Maritime Reconnaissance LRMR combined with long range antisubmarine search and strike, anti-shipping strike, electronic signal intelligence and distant SAR. The IL 38 is an all-weather aircraft with long endurance and substantial operating range. Having clocked nearly 10,000 hours of operational flying, IN 301 established its high credentials in a multitude of air operations. It remained fully serviceable to the last day of its operational life, and flew a seven-hour mission sortie before bidding adieu. A 50-year old airframe with 44 years of active military flying, IN 301 had the distinction of being the oldest combat platform of the Indian Navy. Extremely potent all through, it successfully fired two combat air-to-surface missiles last year. Keeping the vintage aircraft fully operational till its last day in service is testimony to the remarkable dedication of the gallant men behind the Navy's mighty fighting machines. IN 301 was part of Indian Naval Air Squadron 315 - the ‘Winged Stallions’ - at Goa. It was greeted with water cannons after its last sortie in recognition of its extraordinary service to the nation.

1_92.jpeg

3_65.jpeg

First Il 38 Aircraft of Indian Navy Retires after Four Decade Service

IN 301, the first IL 38SD aircraft of the Indian Navy was decommissioned on 17 January 2022 after completing 44 glorious years of service to the nation. The aircraft was commissioned into the Indian Navy in 1977 and remained a formidable air asset throughout its service life. It was with the induction of IL 38 aircraft that the Navy moved into the arena of airborne Long Range Maritime Reconnaissance LRMR combined with long range antisubmarine search and strike, anti-shipping strike, electronic signal intelligence and distant SAR. The IL 38 is an all-weather aircraft with long endurance and substantial operating range. Having clocked nearly 10,000 hours of operational flying, IN 301 established its high credentials in a multitude of air operations. It remained fully serviceable to the last day of its operational life, and flew a seven-hour mission sortie before bidding adieu. A 50-year old airframe with 44 years of active military flying, IN 301 had the distinction of being the oldest combat platform of the Indian Navy. Extremely potent all through, it successfully fired two combat air-to-surface missiles last year. Keeping the vintage aircraft fully operational till its last day in service is testimony to the remarkable dedication of the gallant men behind the Navy's mighty fighting machines. IN 301 was part of Indian Naval Air Squadron 315 - the ‘Winged Stallions’ - at Goa. It was greeted with water cannons after its last sortie in recognition of its extraordinary service to the nation.

1_92.jpeg

3_65.jpeg
Atleast Navy ready to retire an aircraft after four decade of service or after becoming obsolete, The quality IAF lacks.