Maritime Patrol Aircraft : P-8I Neptune, IL-38, Dornier-228 : News & Discussions

Ashwin

Agent_47
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 30, 2017
Bangalore

Arakkonam aces

Female officers from the P-81 crew talk about their journeys and experiences

Members of Squadron 312A and the P-81 aircraft at the naval air station in Arakkonam, Tamil Nadu

RISING SUN

Dec 3, 2017
- 9th P8i delivered to IN

- 2 LDP instead of 4 planned

India gets a new long-range P-8I patrol aircraft​

The Navy on Wednesday received the first of the four new P-8I long-range maritime patrol aircraft, which are packed with sensors and weapons to hunt submarines, at its air station in Goa from the US.

The other three P-8I, under the $1.1 billion contract signed with the US in July 2016, will be delivered next year. While these four new P-8Is will be based at INS Hansa in Goa for the western seaboard, the eight such aircraft acquired earlier are deployed at INS Rajalii inArakkonam (Tamil Nadu) for the eastern one.

With a maximum speed of 907 kmph and an operating range of 1,200 nautical miles, “with four hours on station”, the P-8Is provide the reach and flexibility to undertake extensive maritime surveillance and intelligence-gathering missions.

India, incidentally, is now also finalizing the acquisition of six more P-8Is for $1.8 billion from the US. These six planes will have more advanced systems as a result of India signing the COMCASA (Communications, Compatibility and Security Arrangement) pact with the US in September 2018, as was reported by TOI earlier.

Ankit Kumar

Nov 30, 2017
Bangalore

India gets a new long-range P-8I patrol aircraft​

The Navy on Wednesday received the first of the four new P-8I long-range maritime patrol aircraft, which are packed with sensors and weapons to hunt submarines, at its air station in Goa from the US.

The other three P-8I, under the $1.1 billion contract signed with the US in July 2016, will be delivered next year. While these four new P-8Is will be based at INS Hansa in Goa for the western seaboard, the eight such aircraft acquired earlier are deployed at INS Rajalii inArakkonam (Tamil Nadu) for the eastern one.

With a maximum speed of 907 kmph and an operating range of 1,200 nautical miles, “with four hours on station”, the P-8Is provide the reach and flexibility to undertake extensive maritime surveillance and intelligence-gathering missions.

India, incidentally, is now also finalizing the acquisition of six more P-8Is for $1.8 billion from the US. These six planes will have more advanced systems as a result of India signing the COMCASA (Communications, Compatibility and Security Arrangement) pact with the US in September 2018, as was reported by TOI earlier.
Anyone , will these 4 be used to raise a new squadron or will be part of Il38 squadron?

Ankit Kumar

Nov 30, 2017
Bangalore
Most probably a new squadron. Based out of the same place (INS Hansa, Dabolim, Goa) as the INAS315 squadron having the Il38.
There was to be a 2nd training center set up in Kochi for P8I aircrafts. Are there enough facilities or infrastructure in Kochi to house the 3rd P8I squadron sometime in future ? (Considering the original plan called for 22-24 aircrafts, enough for upto 3 squadrons)

Gautam

Team StratFront
Feb 16, 2019
Tripura, NE, India
There was to be a 2nd training center set up in Kochi for P8I aircrafts. Are there enough facilities or infrastructure in Kochi to house the 3rd P8I squadron sometime in future ? (Considering the original plan called for 22-24 aircrafts, enough for upto 3 squadrons)
INS Garuda in Kochi had a civil aviation enclave in it until 1999. It was moved to the Cochin International Airport later. The runway and taxiway facility for P-8Is already exists. Unless the Navy tore apart the hangars of the civil aircrafts, the hangars likely exists too.

There will be a need for expanding the facility if a whole squadron P-8Is are to operate from there. But setting up a new base would be far more expensive.

Ankit Kumar

Nov 30, 2017
Bangalore
Confirmation from Scramble Magzine, INAS315 winged stallion will indeed get the new P8I aircrafts. Initially the P8I will operate together with Il38SD for some time, after which the Il38SD will be replaced by the upcoming purchase of additional P8I aircraft.

Reactions: Gautam

Amal

GSLV Mk III
Nov 30, 2017
Kerala
INS Garuda in Kochi had a civil aviation enclave in it until 1999. It was moved to the Cochin International Airport later. The runway and taxiway facility for P-8Is already exists. Unless the Navy tore apart the hangars of the civil aircrafts, the hangars likely exists too.

INS Garuda with it's 1.8 km runway is inadequate for P 8I. There is no possibility for a runway extension either, which is why Cochin International Airport was built in the first place.

The Navy have already set up a Naval enclave at Cochin International Airport.

Naval Air Enclave at CIAL begins regular ops

Enclv_6.jpg

Gautam

Team StratFront
Feb 16, 2019
Tripura, NE, India
INS Garuda with it's 1.8 km runway is inadequate for P 8I. There is no possibility for a runway extension either, which is why Cochin International Airport was built in the first place.

The Navy have already set up a Naval enclave at Cochin International Airport.

Naval Air Enclave at CIAL begins regular ops

View attachment 18701

Oh.. this is interesting. We will see a role reversal then. From having civilian air traffic at a military airport to now military aircrafts deployed in a civilian airport.

Reactions: Amal