Indian Military UAV Procurement Programs : General Discussions

THREAD!!

Extremely instructive thread on the evolution of the doctrine of the utility of drones in the services, the R&D involved, the various programs afoot & the likely procurement schedules..

Do note that this is a civilian writing. Someone who believes in talking to & not down to his audience. Someone who has also come up with extremely good write ups in the past in the public domain on our various air force programs which in turn have been favourably reviewed by ex & serving service personnel. Someone whose writing isn't 1/4 part knowledge & 3/4 parts wishful thinking + optimism.

The Indian Army has leased four Heron Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) from Israel as part of its emergency procurement programme. The Heron, with the Indian Army for some years, can be particularly effective in intelligence gathering as it is a long-endurance UAV and can be in the air for about 50 hours at a time.

I think leased one have attack capability.

And I. Guess we are upgrading our inventory with similiar capabilities.

No we have acquired them.
All 10 Heron TPs bought for the IAF have been operational since 2018.
As i said, They changed it to a lease of four now buy.
India has finalised the deal to buy four new Heron TP drones from Israel that will initially be used in surveillance and reconnaissance missions, but will eventually be upgraded and armed with missiles for precision strikes under Project Cheetah when it kicks off, News18.com has learnt.

Defence sources said a contract to this effect has been signed and that the drones should arrive by the end of this year. Sources added that while the initial plan was to lease the four drones from Israel, India later decided to buy them instead.

But the writer is confusing it with Project Cheetah which is to upgrade the original Heron nothing to do with this buy. Or this could be just original heron attrition replacement.

Reactions: Chain Smoker
As i said, They changed it to a lease of four now buy.

But the writer is confusing it with Project Cheetah which is to upgrade the original Heron nothing to do with this buy.

You're mistaken there. The 10 TPs we bought earlier all went to the IAF. These 4, which were supposed to be leased, is for the army. While I'm glad that the army's deal comes with ownership, it has nothing to do with the 10 TPs that are already operational in the IAF.

You're mistaken there. The 10 TPs we bought earlier all went to the IAF. These 4, which were supposed to be leased, is for the army. While I'm glad that the army's deal comes with ownership, it has nothing to do with the 10 TPs that are already operational in the IAF.
Please give evidence for such claims. After reported "approval" it never went through. If that was the case there wouldn't be an MQ-9B tri-service procurement.

Please give evidence for such claims. After reported "approval" it never went through. If that was the case there wouldn't be an MQ-9B tri-service procurement.

This was the CCS approval.

The MQ-9 deal has nothing to do with the Heron.

This was the CCS approval.

The MQ-9 deal has nothing to do with the Heron.
where does it say CCS approval? When was it delivered? Why keep mum about such a development from both sides?

"MQ-9 deal has nothing to do with the Heron" but it has to do with Heron-TP both have the same role and capabilites.