Mikoyan Mig-27 'Bahadur' of India Air Force

Nick

W@rwolf
Dec 4, 2017
France
IAF bids farewell to MiG-27ML Bahadur

2241549.jpg

The last MiG-27 ML aircraft roared over Hasimara Air Force base in Bengal on Thursday for the last time as the IAF bade farewell to this legacy fleet in a function, a defence spokesperson said.

The MiG-27 ML, codenamed 'Bahadur' in India, has had an impeccable track record in its more than three decades of glorious service to the nation, the spokesperson said in a statement.

The formidable strike aircraft of Russian origin has the single most powerful engine in the world and variable geometry wing which allows the pilot to change the wing sweep angle while flying as per the mission requirements to achieve optimum flying characteristics, it said.

This swing wing fighter bomber was inducted into the IAF fleet in the late 1980s. Being a dedicated ground attack aircraft, it was one of the main strike aircraft of the IAF.

With its sophisticated avionics and weapon computers, it is capable of delivering a variety of loads in different modes of attack with immense precision, the statement said.

Being a very stable weapon platform with good forward visibility and all around view, it can drop bombs, rockets, precision munitions guided by TV/laser and also fire air-to-air missiles for self defence thus making it a lethal and a potent weapon platform.

MiG-27 ML had proved its worth in various operations, including in Kargil and earned rich accolades in numerous international exercises held in India.

The pilots proudly call themselves 'Swing Wingers' and have always vouched the aircraft's precise weapon delivery and rapid acceleration, the statement said.

Though the last MLs retire, they are not the last swing wing aircraft in service as few of them got a midlife avionics upgrade and continue to serve the nation. They are called MiG-27 UPG and are presently based in Jodhpur.

The 22 Squadron, known as 'Swifts' was the last squadron of the IAF flying the MiG-27 MLs. The squadron has a rich history and is known for undertaking the famous 'Boyra Day Operations' in Gnat aircraft, marking the beginning of 1971 War.

One of the youngest fighter squadrons, it converted to the MLs in February 1990. The lethal MiG-27 aircraft, with its range, speed and ferocity in attack has always been in perfect harmony with the 'Swift', who bade it farewell with full military honours.

Squadron head Group Captain S L Mahajan, who after a stint in Sukhoi-30 MKI, proudly led the last ML.

The 'Swift' pilots are slated to move to other squadrons/appointments and the squadron would be number plated for new induction.

IAF bids farewell to MiG-27 ML Bahadur - Times of India

Though the last MLs retire, they are not the last swing wing aircraft in service as few of them got a midlife avionics upgrade and continue to serve the nation. They are called MiG-27 UPG and are presently based in Jodhpur.

The last two MiG-27 UPG squadrons would be retired in 2024.

• Agree
Reactions: Hellfire and Nick
Iron-Fist-2013-MiG-27-IAF-01.jpg

You have served India well - The Mighty 27.

Did they ? I thought out there on Older Forum you lamented the fact that in spite of being of a later vintage they couldn't / wouldn't be upgraded due to inherent design issues (?) including a problematic engine and an airframe which didn't stand the test of time and had to be retired before / alongside the MiG 21 - an AC which pre dated the MiG 27 by a full decade if not more ( something similar was the case with the MiG 23) .

I could be wrong about certain details of the episode as I'm quoting strictly from my memory .

Did they ? I thought out there on Older Forum you lamented the fact that in spite of being of a later vintage they couldn't / wouldn't be upgraded due to inherent design issues (?) including a problematic engine and an airframe which didn't stand the test of time and had to be retired before / alongside the MiG 21 - an AC which pre dated the MiG 27 by a full decade if not more ( something similar was the case with the MiG 23) .

I could be wrong about certain details of the episode as I'm quoting strictly from my memory .

It's a courtesy @retirement .

• Agree
Reactions: _Anonymous_

Yes, the engine we brought for the Mig27's were screamers of an engine, unfortunately they started developing cracks and thus most of the fleet remains grounded and worries the pilots flying them. Swing wing system is a dog to service and overhaul, spares are scarce, the NAV and fire control was not very good on the system. It could have been upgraded and life could have been extended, Mig27's sister unit the Mig23 was too quite good for a third gen aircraft and had same upgrade potential.
Pilots who have flown the Mig27M speak very fondly of the system, it was quite forgiving at altitude, had good endurance, and also was quite notorious for ridiculously jolty thrust. (look at the engine specs and you would know)

It is still unfortunate that we did not go for an engine change on the system or follow through with DARE upgrades for all of it's sqdns.

India’s last MiG-27 bombers to make ‘farewell flight’ next month before retiring from service – reports
unnamed-3.jpg

The Indian Air Force’s last-remaining MiG-27 supersonic attack bombers are set to whoosh into the air for the last time before being phased out amid the country’s major rearmament program, reports say.
The jets will conduct their final flight from the Jodhpur Air Base in the northwestern Rajasthan State, bordering Pakistan, on December 27 before officially retiring three days later, Indian media said, citing sources. The base is the home to the No. 29 Squadron, known as ‘Scorpions’, the only Indian Air Force (IAF) unit that still uses MiG-27s.

Also known by its NATO reported name Flogger, the MiG-27 was designed by the Soviet Union in the Cold War and entered service in the early 1970s. The IAF got the plane a decade later. It was state-of-the-art aircraft of its time, becoming the backbone of the nation’s attack bomber fleet. The jet proved to be lethal all-round, as it could destroy ground targets with rockets and bombs, as well as fire air-to-air missiles if attacked by an enemy’s interceptors.
5dbd77692030272f657cb40c.jpg

© AFP / Indian Air Force
The aircraft earned the name ‘Bahadur’ (Valiant), while its pilots proudly call themselves ‘Swing Wingers’ because the plane’s wings can be swept back and returned to the original position mid-air to improve flying capabilities.

India’s MiG-27s last saw action in 1999 during Operation Safed Sagar (Operation White Sea) against Pakistani troops and irregular forces in Kashmir in the brief but bloody Kargil War. The planes primarily bombed supply lines in the mountains and, according to some reports, aimed to trigger landslides and avalanches.

Due to the jets’ old age, New Delhi has been phasing them out in favor of the French-made Dassault Rafale all-purpose fighter aircraft. Incidents, involving the MiG-27s have also become more frequent. One plane crashed in April, and another one in February. The pilots ejected to safety in both cases.

India’s last MiG-27 bombers to make ‘farewell flight’ next month before retiring from service – reports

Last edited:
Ironically it's still in service with the SLAF if I'm not mistaken.

IAF wasted the upgrade potential of the aircraft.
HAL builds Al31F engines which could have been a prime candidate for an engine upgrade, in addition, there were Russian proposals of replacing swing-wing with fixed wings (for 23's), it could have lived on for another decade and a half as a potent area defense fighter and 2nd tier Fighter/bomber. Some of the 23's from storage could have been rejuvenated too.

Mig27's with a 23 radome, could have integrated the Zhuk M N010M radar, given we already have about 100 of them, integrating the radar into Mig27M would have driven the cost of upgrade and procurement for 29upg and 29K, economy of scale with the radar, engine, and armament would have made this into a capable fighter, it was a lost opportunity to extend life of around 8 squadrons.

• Informative
HAL builds Al31F engines which could have been a prime candidate for an engine upgrade, in addition, there were Russian proposals of replacing swing-wing with fixed wings (for 23's), it could have lived on for another decade and a half as a potent area defense fighter and 2nd tier Fighter/bomber. Some of the 23's from storage could have been rejuvenated too.

Mig27's with a 23 radome, could have integrated the Zhuk M N010M radar, given we already have about 100 of them, integrating the radar into Mig27M would have driven the cost of upgrade and procurement for 29upg and 29K, economy of scale with the radar, engine, and armament would have made this into a capable fighter, it was a lost opportunity to extend life of around 8 squadrons.
A proper planning and start of such program around say 2000, would actually have been really good. But a opportunity missed .

The Mig27 and Mig23UB both will be gone soon. And for good too now. We need to start execution of deep upgrade for of MKI platforms now. Else we will again be thinking , of lost opportunities 15 years down the line.

Hopefully deal on 83 MK1A is realised soon and HAL actually delivers on it.

• Agree
Reactions: Milspec

Company taking risk and proving smartness And forces, political support..

Too much to ask for...

Considering how Jaguar & Mirage upgradation went..

I think it's wise to retire. And take that effort in future platforms..

Reactions: Milspec
A proper planning and start of such program around say 2000, would actually have been really good. But a opportunity missed .

The Mig27 and Mig23UB both will be gone soon. And for good too now. We need to start execution of deep upgrade for of MKI platforms now. Else we will again be thinking , of lost opportunities 15 years down the line.

Hopefully deal on 83 MK1A is realised soon and HAL actually delivers on it.

Been hearing mk1A deal to signed this year... Few months... Few weeks..

In some case few days.. ( US order of MH60 & additional P8I)

I guess we don't have money ..

Been hearing mk1A deal to signed this year... Few months... Few weeks..

In some case few days.. ( US order of MH60 & additional P8I)

I guess we don't have money ..
We have money for imports but not for indigenous systems