HAL Hindustan Lead in Fighter Trainer (HLFT-42) Trainer Aircraft Program

New Advanced trainer development started. Hope they go for T-7 like program.

Screenshot 2022-08-01 at 8.13.31 PM.png

Yeah, nothing special. I had pointed this out before, that the SPORT is over-spec'd for its role.
I am interested to find out its configuration, will it be a single engine or a smaller twin, will it be just something like an Advanced trainer with secondary combat capabilities like HAWK or more like say T50 ?
Or simply this is new name of Tejas SPORT ?

Reactions: Amal
I am interested to find out its configuration, will it be a single engine or a smaller twin, will it be just something like an Advanced trainer with secondary combat capabilities like HAWK or more like say T50 ?
Or simply this is new name of Tejas SPORT ?

Doesn't seem like a renamed SPORT.

I think this is HAL's attempt to build a LIFT in the Hawk class, including with ground strike capabilities, using their own engine. There is a market for this type.

Doesn't seem like a renamed SPORT.

I think this is HAL's attempt to build a LIFT in the Hawk class, including with ground strike capabilities, using their own engine. There is a market for this type.
There surely is a market. A rather big one where something like LCA is an overkill. But let's see what configuration HAL is actually looking at. Maybe next Def Expo will give us some answers.

My gut says either something like a HJT-39 or a Tejas Trainer. But I hope it's a conventional clean sheet design. Nothing else was revealed in the Annual Book of HAL. We will have to wait.
Unfortunately, the key word here is 'WAIT' ... the timeline DPSU runs on - we will be looking at 2030 for the first rollout

This HLFT will be something like all metallic aircraft. See right now we are proposing LCA as a trainer also in addition to being a fighter aircraft, but HLFT will be a low cost alternative to LCA with all metal aircraft, and then it will not be a fully fly-by-wire system. So, it will be power assisted controls. So, it will be something like a cost effective solution for fighter aircraft trainers. For example, instead of operating twin seater fighter aircraft, you can operate this with the full facility of getting trained on all the virtual training. It will have virtual training modes.

For example, it can simulate any fighter aircraft within the fleet of the, for example, IAF. You can have a Mirage, Rafale or anything you have, you can simulate on this platform, and this platform also will be a higher speed aircraft. So, it will give the physical feel of the speed also along with the virtual mode of all the displays, weapon delivery, everything it can simulate. So, it will be a cost-effective training solution for the defense customers, and it will have all the indigenous systems like, for example, almost nothing will be imported except maybe for the engine in the current scenario. All other display systems, everything, flight controls, everything will be based on indigenous system. So, it will have high indigenous content and the maintainability of this aircraft will be much superior compared to other aircraft and cost effective.

Screenshot 2022-11-06 at 9.33.14 PM.png

Found full audio investor call : https://hal-india.co.in/Common/Uploads/audio/ICI3420220829143268.mp3

This HLFT will be something like all metallic aircraft. See right now we are proposing LCA as a trainer also in addition to being a fighter aircraft, but HLFT will be a low cost alternative to LCA with all metal aircraft, and then it will not be a fully fly-by-wire system. So, it will be power assisted controls. So, it will be something like a cost effective solution for fighter aircraft trainers. For example, instead of operating twin seater fighter aircraft, you can operate this with the full facility of getting trained on all the virtual training. It will have virtual training modes.

For example, it can simulate any fighter aircraft within the fleet of the, for example, IAF. You can have a Mirage, Rafale or anything you have, you can simulate on this platform, and this platform also will be a higher speed aircraft. So, it will give the physical feel of the speed also along with the virtual mode of all the displays, weapon delivery, everything it can simulate. So, it will be a cost-effective training solution for the defense customers, and it will have all the indigenous systems like, for example, almost nothing will be imported except maybe for the engine in the current scenario. All other display systems, everything, flight controls, everything will be based on indigenous system. So, it will have high indigenous content and the maintainability of this aircraft will be much superior compared to other aircraft and cost effective.

Screenshot 2022-11-06 at 9.33.14 PM.png

Found full audio investor call : https://hal-india.co.in/Common/Uploads/audio/ICI3420220829143268.mp3
All metal version of LCA or a totally new design ?