Does the public feel the need of perfectly working weighing scale in hospitals?

Sathya

Dec 2, 2017
India
What are procedures to remove rules/ laws or modify it.

Here is a rule that you can judge whether it necessary

Weighing scale machine in hospitals.

It needs to be inspected and certified that it's working properly every year.

Otherwise labor inspector can seize the scale or fine or both.

While it's essential in shops or traders , so that public get to buy the right quantity of items, but in hospitals it's absolutely not essential ..
No body is going to cheat weight of the patient.

There are N number of essentitial life saving equipments which no body inspects, ( usually Doctor / hospital is responsible) but hospitals use to have extra equipment if one fails.

However weigh scale is not life saving in any way. But does it need inspection ?

And the weighing scale company who arrange for inspection & certificate charge rp 1100 per year for that.

I feel this is ridiculous rule made to extract money from hospitals nothing more.

Does the public feel they need of perfectly working weighing scale in hospitals?

Most of the rules which govern hospital is illogical to say the least , the worst part is the media and the public in general refuse to acknowledge and understand.

Medicine needs an approach which is objective and it can only be done by people who are qualified to do that , most of the time , the rules are made to satisfy the vested interests of various parties .

I am sure with the targeting of medical practitioners in recent times , healthcare in India will reach a point of no return.

We need the greater public to understand and ask the media to stop "CREATING NEWS"

I don't know how the rules can be changed , but health is a state subject and I think we will need to reach out to the state bodies first with our appeals.

I feel there are many illogical rules in many fields, but there should be feedback and and monitoring people to modify/update/remove them.

I ll try IMA group in my district.

Reactions: Aashish
Write to the Health Minister on the number of rules governing such issues in a consolidated manner with a formal observation to Ministry of Health & Family Welfare as also the Ministry of Labour & Employment.(I think they will be covering this) Of course BIS can also be involved.

Mind you, they too come under services and as such will be governed by the common law.

Mind you, the electronic weighing scales and the sphygmomanometer need recalibration every 6 months (and so do mercury based ones on infrequent basis) and how many hospitals actually do that? Just a thought.

BP apparatus is actually changed when it's measurements are not accurate .
I used the Mercury ones.
Electronic Multipara monitors from standard companies that cost around 1.5laks Used in ICU usually work well. If it's not working well then we service it.
Those who buy cheaper personal BP apparatus , it's only for screening I guess.
Personally I don't rely on electronic BP apparatus . Mercury ones are gold standard for me.

To your question - I haven't seen anyone doing periodic recalibration.. It's only when not working properly we call service people.

I run scan centre. Not sure about service & calibration of life saving equipments .. Will enquire and post about it.

Periodic servicing is very expensive in my field .
For example for 25 lakh ultrasound machine , annual comprehensive maintanece coverage is about 4.1 Lak , offer I received by mail.
Dealers are offering around 2.5laks .. All these cover only 1 probe out of 4.
Probes are costliest in machine.

Only labor maintanece is around 90k per year..

I remember talking with you about the same @Sathya and i was indeed very happy to see you following the path of a true men of medicine... The commercial nature of medicine as a whole field (just like every other field in India say example banks) has crept into our whole healthcare system.

Just like weighing scale which is the basic necessity another significant basic thing which we all see is pushing for C Sections over Normal delivery. You get docs saying its what is best bcz of a long list of reasoning and then gently add that its your decision but everything else like normal delivery will be risky for both mother and child...

Innocently Ppl trust docs as gods and what they end up is a non issue treated as a issue.

Its not that all the whole community of medicine is bad, but 1% cretins like in all fields complicate the issues..

PS : Hope you watched Mersal.. I liked that movie a lot.. relevant issues of today.. also it portrays the limitations in the system.. a bit over the top in portions but overall a good movie in a similar topic..

• Agree
Reactions: Seiko and Sathya
I remember talking with you about the same @Sathya and i was indeed very happy to see you following the path of a true men of medicine... The commercial nature of medicine as a whole field (just like every other field in India say example banks) has crept into our whole healthcare system.

Just like weighing scale which is the basic necessity another significant basic thing which we all see is pushing for C Sections over Normal delivery. You get docs saying its what is best bcz of a long list of reasoning and then gently add that its your decision but everything else like normal delivery will be risky for both mother and child...

Innocently Ppl trust docs as gods and what they end up is a non issue treated as a issue.

Its not that all the whole community of medicine is bad, but 1% cretins like in all fields complicate the issues..

PS : Hope you watched Mersal.. I liked that movie a lot.. relevant issues of today.. also it portrays the limitations in the system.. a bit over the top in portions but overall a good movie in a similar topic..

Parikrama actually it's not so easy.. I mean C section over normal delivery.
Normal delivery rate can be maximized but we have accept certain risks.
Example Doctor can wait for normal delivery by trial , baby will go through stress at that time. There is a chance to get complications from simple to even death.
Procedures like putting forceps to pull the head of baby outside in case of mild obstruction are not all used nowadays.. Though still practiced in west.
Here we don't want to take any risk, more than earning by C section.

As an insider , I can confidently say surgery won't be done unnecessaryily.
What I don't feel right is how much is getting charged.
It's quite shocking to hear few package costs in Metropolitan cities.
Like 10-50 laks..

Many things are interlinked in Medical field.
I am myself a perfect case study ..will post about all the factors it's impact on medical practice & economics few years down the line.

Electronic Multipara monitors from standard companies that cost around 1.5laks Used in ICU usually work well. If it's not working well then we service it.
Those who buy cheaper personal BP apparatus , it's only for screening I guess.
Personally I don't rely on electronic BP apparatus . Mercury ones are gold standard for me.
Leave the maintenance, heck even the BP cuff is not properly used in most hospitals. There are different sized cuff for different arm width. Never seen a govt or private hospital to change one. The difference can be as high as 20-30 mmHg. Enough to change the diagnosis. Put a smaller cuff on a guy with big arms and he is hypertensive or put a right sized cuff and he will be normotensive.

Leave the maintenance, heck even the BP cuff is not properly used in most hospitals. There are different sized cuff for different arm width. Never seen a govt or private hospital to change one. The difference can be as high as 20-30 mmHg. Enough to change the diagnosis. Put a smaller cuff on a guy with big arms and he is hypertensive or put a right sized cuff and he will be normotensive.

Negligence and ignorance cannot be equalled or commented on. In this scenario government hospitals don't have understanding, funds or intention to change the BP cuffs for patients. Many private institutions does know the differences and act accordingly but not all.

Now the second point which you touched upon , I have a simple counter.

How do you diagnose hypertension in a patient who has visited a private accredited hospital? Do doctors diagnose with your automated BP reading and put you on medications straight ? Which doctors should be treating you for HTN anyways ?

This is not just about normal people. I can tell you, if a doctor say to another doctor (his wife), that a cesarean is needed, that doctor never able to do anything.

There are validated indications and guidelines for C-section. Alas in India less than 2 % doctors follow guidelines , nor are clinical taught in med school or training. The way evaluation is done and patients expect relief in India doctors would be walking robots with a single point agenda than holistic approach.

Doctors are NOT God
Medicine is a profession like any other , we pay taxes and trade taxes
Doctors are no magicians to give you magical relief and cure
Doctors know yet act in a way the market demands.

There are validated indications and guidelines for C-section. Alas in India less than 2 % doctors follow guidelines , nor are clinical taught in med school or training. The way evaluation is done and patients expect relief in India doctors would be walking robots with a single point agenda than holistic approach.

Doctors are NOT God
Medicine is a profession like any other , we pay taxes and trade taxes
Doctors are no magicians to give you magical relief and cure
Doctors know yet act in a way the market demands.

My whole family is of doctors, so I know what I am saying.

My whole family is of doctors, so I know what I am saying.

Good to know Arpit.
So what do you think where does Doctors stand in the changed society in India ? Should hospitals and doctors be made accountable for the care they give ?

Good to know Arpit.
So what do you think where does Doctors stand in the changed society in India ? Should hospitals and doctors be made accountable for the care they give ?
No, they shouldn't , why they should be, only in Western countries and Australia doctors are accountable.

Here we are good.

No, they shouldn't , why they should be, only in Western countries and Australia doctors are accountable.

Here we are good.

But why not , every individual can and should be accountable for anything they are claiming their fees for isn't it , whatever is free is unaccountable?

The difference is Doctors VS Hospitals who is responsible for care , many a time as on this thread we find legitimate , well informed doctors gets pushed by the system on one side and business oriented hospital owners on the other side

Here we are good.

So you are suggesting that the Doctors need not to be accountable??

But why not , every individual can and should be accountable for anything they are claiming their fees for isn't it , whatever is free is unaccountable?

The difference is Doctors VS Hospitals who is responsible for care , many a time as on this thread we find legitimate , well informed doctors gets pushed by the system on one side and business oriented hospital owners on the other side
Let me ask does the Pvt. Hospitals and doctors in other countries falling from Heaven? And ours from hell?

You defending the indefensible. Yes , there are problems, but I don't defend such acts.

A crime is a crime , what are circumstances, these are excuse. Who cares?

People need good healthcare. I am giving you a star, a goal, that need to be followed.

If people start to justify a wrongly things , that society is like that, economics is like that.
Then god save us all. And God save poor people, more than us.

So you are suggesting that the Doctors need not to be accountable??
Yup, only in Western countries, as there doctors coming from Planet Venus. Shiny. So there doctors should be held accountable.

Ours, ours are coming from reddish Mars. No they shouldn't.

Last edited:
Yup, only in Western countries, as there doctors coming from Planet Venus. Shiny. So there doctors should be held accountable.

Ours, ours are coming from reddish Mars. No they shouldn't.

Hi are you taking the environment into account ? Sarcasm apart !
Western healthcare has a lead in research and education , how much do we do in terms of medical research to storm our minds.

• Agree
Reactions: Aravind
Hi are you taking the environment into account ? Sarcasm apart !
Western healthcare has a lead in research and education , how much do we do in terms of medical research to storm our minds.

Then, how Singapore got lead, or South Korea? Why there healthcare is far better than us?
We need to ask that question.

This is not about R&D or education, in terms of R&D India is equivalent to any western nations in healthcare. And most of studies these days are public.
In whole Asia, yes in whole Asia, no body give better MBBS degree than public institutes of India. But when these students become doctors, even MD from AIIMS or KGMU. These doctors become same in Pvt. Hospitals.

They give prescription of medicines of Abbott or other big companies, instead of other(even reputed companies), which cost almost 1/4th. Why is that?