Then, how Singapore got lead, or South Korea? Why there healthcare is far better than us?
We need to ask that question.
This is not about R&D or education, in terms of R&D India is equivalent to any western nations in healthcare. And most of studies these days are public.
In whole Asia, yes in whole Asia, no body give better MBBS degree than public institutes of India. But when these students become doctors, even MD from AIIMS or KGMU. These doctors become same in Pvt. Hospitals.
They give prescription of medicines of Abbott or other big companies, instead of other(even reputed companies), which cost almost 1/4th. Why is that?
Arpit I will answer to that in detail.
1. R & D for clinical research, I beg to differ simply because the results don't show up the equivalence.
2. Singapore has a lot of western inputs and investment to reach, coupled with approach and laws.
3. MBBS degree are nothin to be proud of , I repeat the 4.5 years of bookish knowledge won't help you treat a patient. Basic graduation equivalent to MBBS is at least 6 years in Europe and western world. When you talk about MBBS its only Indian, Pakistan, Bangladesh , Nepal thats the benchmark you are fighting. the Chinese has been dependent on traditional medicine for long to emerge out.
4. I am working in a corporate and responsible for mid and junior level doctors in my hospital, do we even consider any Indian degree holder to join unless he has a foreign fellowship. lets take an example after doing MD(Pediatrics )/DNB( Pediatrics) somebody approaches us for registrar role we would consider the ones who have done fellowships from abroad so that can elevate them to Jcs later on.
I am the head for my department , my registrars must have EDIC / MRCEM to apply simply because I have suffered a lot working with non trained people possessing only Indian degrees. If you want t be a consultant in a corporate of significance the unwritten rule is foreign fellowships/qualifications which is sad but true and there is a real reason for it , we better pay a little more to a doctor who treats vs a doctor who pretends to treat.
5. Last point why do doctors prefer certain drugs because of other reasons than commission. I personally don't take any commission from Pharma guys simply because whatever they offer is insignificant to what I earn in the bigger picture.
1 gm of paracetamol I.V generic costing 55 INR you give to a patient with 102 degrees fever vs 1 gm of Paracip made by CIPLA costing 250 INR , give to the patient on a daily basis , do a study over 1000 patients in various conditions and see the results. I have done an exactly same study and validated the justification.
If the patient don't get relief in 30 minutes he is going to curse me , its better for me to use drugs which work than ones which " PRETEND and OUGHT to work ".
6. Last point , try any western medical practice check the charges for doctors/medical consultation and compare India's
Cheap and Quality don't go hand in hand