Breaking: Somnath is new ISRO Chief

Guynextdoor

Dec 19, 2017
India
Confirmed that Somnath is taking over. I believe he and Annadurai were on standby to take over from Sivan. Sivan has done a great job. Thank you for your service.

Funny . Dr U R Rao was the chairman for nearly 10 yrs & he was from Karnataka . So was A S Kiran Kumar for a couple of yrs before Sivan . Nobody from Karnataka blew their trumpet or took great pride in announcing how they were from Karnataka.

Prof Satish Dhawan along with Dr Vikram Sarabhai were both Chairman for nearly a decade if not more , respectively & in many ways the founding fathers of ISRO just like Dr Bhabha was the father of BARC & the whole N program in India including our strategic projects yet I've not seen such triumphant displays by either Gujaratis or Punjabi Khatris or Parsis.

Funny . Dr U R Rao was the chairman for nearly 10 yrs & he was from Karnataka . So was A S Kiran Kumar for a couple of yrs before Sivan . Nobody from Karnataka blew their trumpet or took great pride in announcing how they were from Karnataka.

Prof Satish Dhawan along with Dr Vikram Sarabhai were both Chairman for nearly a decade if not more , respectively & in many ways the founding fathers of ISRO just like Dr Bhabha was the father of BARC & the whole N program in India including our strategic projects yet I've not seen such triumphant displays by either Gujaratis or Punjabi Khatris or Parsis.

Thanks for input. I had almost forgotten. Here is corrected....

So last 30 years Kasturirangan (TN), Madhavan Nair(mal), Radhakrishanan (mal), Sivan (TN) and now Somnath (Kerala) +UR Rao (Kar) and Kiran Kumar (Kar)....south run continues.

Reactions: Chain Smoker
He has more failures in his tenure than all of the isro chiefs combined. ISRO was considered a competent organization before this guy took charge.

I think leadersip structure needs to be changed like how NASA does it to prevent these failures. Instead of engineers from ISRO, a civilian appointment by Modi is better to be done. That way these failure s can be addressed. What say @_Anonymous_ ?

Reactions: Chain Smoker
I think leadersip structure needs to be changed like how NASA does it to prevent these failures. Instead of engineers from ISRO, a civilian appointment by Modi is better to be done. That way these failure s can be addressed. What say @_Anonymous_ ?
Instead of going to Tirupati , he should've invited the Lord's servants to ISRO & sanctified the rockets with Holy Water. This is what happens when you worship false Gods.

Wrong SIP. Investment plans ought to be read carefully for better returns.

Instead of going to Tirupati , he should've invited the Lord's servants to ISRO & sanctified the rockets with Holy Water. This is what happens when you worship false Gods.

Wrong SIP. Investment plans ought to be read carefully for better returns.

I didn't understand what you said. My question was simple- do you think we should follow NASA style administrative selection? Works exellents for them so why not follow it?

what makes you think NASA is successful given their size of budget? You are right we need a political appointee to head ISRO. Current scientists are waste bodies who have no idea about celestial bodies, we need some surya vanshi or chandra vanshi to lead us to black hole.

• Haha
Reactions: SammyBoi and Hydra
Confirmed that Somnath is taking over. I believe he and Annadurai were on standby to take over from Sivan. Sivan has done a great job. Thank you for your service.

Its sad to say, K Sivan is the least performed ISRO chief in recent history. Even a time tested workhorse like pslv failed under his regime.

Wishing the new chairman a good luck.
what makes you think NASA is successful given their size of budget? You are right we need a political appointee to head ISRO. Current scientists are waste bodies who have no idea about celestial bodies, we need some surya vanshi or chandra vanshi to lead us to black hole.
Sarcasm? If yes, the line is cherry on icing.

Political leadrship will provide broadbased leadership. Engineer is mostly engineer. Big policy decisions like should Industry structre be changed etc. requires different leadership.
Its sad to say, K Sivan is the least performed ISRO chief in recent history. Even a time tested workhorse like pslv failed under his regime.

I think most ISRO leaders have faile din one way or another. Don't blame them they're engineers not leaders.

Despite your strident denials, even @_Anonymous_ seems to agree with me that we need a public leader to lead ISRO like how NASA does it instead of narrow minded engineers.

Sean o kafee- an excellent NASA administrator from 2001 to 2005 was BA in History and Master of Public administration

In 1973, he graduated from Wheeler High School in North Stonington, Connecticut. He attended Loyola University in New Orleans, graduating in 1977 with a Bachelor of Arts in History. He subsequently acquired his Master of Public Administration degree in 1978 from the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University.[7]

Current NASA admnistrator- Bill Nelson

Nelson attended the University of Florida, where he was a member of Florida Blue Key, and the Beta Theta Pi social fraternity. He transferred to Yale University, where he was a member of the Book and Snake secret society.[23][24] Nelson graduated in 1965 with a Bachelor of Arts in political science. He later received a JD degree from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1968.
[25]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I therefore support Smriti Irani as next ISRO Chief. SHe is the only one who can fix these problems.

Political leadrship will provide broadbased leadership. Engineer is mostly engineer. Big policy decisions like should Industry structre be changed etc. requires different leadership.
Our so called self proclaimed leaders have dismal performance. What does the leadership normally do? They set goals, clear obstacles , gather resources, rally ppl ...etc
Just see how well they have done on simple goals,
1) provide access to safe drinking water to everyone.
2) provide electricity to every one.
3) provide shelter to all citizens.
..etc
when our political leader ship has achieved spectacular results in last 50 years or so, they will do the same in other areas as well. As a first step they will create a union and next step will ensure union supports them. Rest will be history.
I think most ISRO leaders have faile din one way or another. Don't blame them they're engineers not leaders.
First you need to set goals and then compare against instead of making a sweeping stmt.

Every time ppl talk abt leadership , it screams me, , myself and I alone can save the world. Hard truth is that if every one does their job correctly then leadership becomes nearly irrelevant. If ppl can collectively take a good decision & cooperate with each other leader ship simply wont be needed.

Despite your strident denials, even @_Anonymous_ seems to agree with me that we need a public leader to lead ISRO like how NASA does it instead of narrow minded engineers.
so you have decided that turning ISRO into a local co-operative sugar mill will lead to more sweeter results.

Sean o kafee- an excellent NASA administrator from 2001 to 2005 was BA in History and Master of Public administration
Fact is that political administration in US only controls the budget they do provide requirements but do not interfere in any other way.

I therefore support Smriti Irani as next ISRO Chief. SHe is the only one who can fix these problems.
yeah , ISRO seriously misses some drama.