Brahmos Supersonic Cruise Missile : News, Updates and Discussions

Two part answer

a. The BrahMos-A, which is what you are referring to is a stop gap till the BrahMos-M comes online. It is expected in approx 4-5 years from now. This being the main reason for the low numbers of the BrahMos-A.

b. The 2 you are talking about are what were handed over for testing in 2015 to the IAF. Post that a squadron (Tigersharks) has been designated for the operational role. Induction of the modified Sukhois has started for this squadron.

My guess would be 1 more squadron may get operationalised once you have completed induction of this squadron. This would take you to 2025. Post which the BrahMos-M will come online.

The 40 MKIs capable of firing Brahmos-A will be distributed to all squadrons in groups of 2-4 depending on the need. The Tigershark squadron will have 8 due to the need for sea strike.

Works already begun. First testing will be of the submarine launched version, followed by the air launched version. Priority for the Navy is due to the somwhat wise decision to wait for the IAF to complete induction of LCA in numbers.
I haven't seen any interview where chairman saying they started test item development.

Brahmos-NG on LCA is unnecessary why you have so many bigger planes to carry them. Rudram-2/3 will be able to do the same role on half weight on LCA.

I haven't seen any interview where chairman saying they started test item development.

Brahmos-NG on LCA is unnecessary why you have so many bigger planes to carry them. Rudram-2/3 will be able to do the same role on half weight on LCA.
will find and post the article.

Also, where BrahMos NG air launched is concerened, BrahMos aerospace officials have spoken of integration only with Su-30 and LCA/AMCA. Rest of the planes are spoken only in forums. Will post the links and tag you in sometime.

Development of BrahMos NG. Sandeep is quite reliable.

Here he states

The new variant of the missile - BrahMos NG (next generation) - is an interesting weapon. The feasibility studies and engineering analysis are over. We have found that it can be perfectly integrated into LCA, LCA MK-II & AMCA. We want IAF to induct these platforms in large numbers and until then we shall wait.
BrahMos-NG will be ready in the next four years. We are holding on to our investments for now and we will be ready with the new weapon suite when IAF demands it.

The 40 MKIs capable of firing Brahmos-A will be distributed to all squadrons in groups of 2-4 depending on the need. The Tigershark squadron will have 8 due to the need for sea strike.
Ideal strength will be 80 or 4 squadrons of Brahmos armed MKIs. 1 in South India,1 in A&N,1 in Tezpur another in central India to reach quickly near Ladakh.

Development of BrahMos NG. Sandeep is quite reliable.

Here he states

The new variant of the missile - BrahMos NG (next generation) - is an interesting weapon. The feasibility studies and engineering analysis are over. We have found that it can be perfectly integrated into LCA, LCA MK-II & AMCA. We want IAF to induct these platforms in large numbers and until then we shall wait.
BrahMos-NG will be ready in the next four years. We are holding on to our investments for now and we will be ready with the new weapon suite when IAF demands it.
That's a misleading heading by sandeep.

In the Anantha Krishna interview you can see he specifies that it's "when IAF demands"

You can check the latest of all the interviews, with shiv. (Oct 2020)

Starts around 22 min

"It's still on the drawing board, but we are getting signals from users :cautious:"

The structural changes required for the SU-30MKI to make it capable of carrying Brahmos are permanent.
The extra frames added to the aircraft fuselage for strengthening , make it permanently heavy.
Just to carry one weapon system, making the plane permanently heavy is beyond me.
India has the technology and money to invest into building some cruise missile more suited for a fighter jet and Brahmos isn't.
I bet you a fiver, Rafale with Scalp/storm shadow will be the top dog in ALCM capability of IAF and Brahmos M or other versions will never takeoff.

BTW....none of our JF-17 can carry any cruise missile as of yet.
Except CM-400AKG of which we only have 50x.
Raad is too big for JF-17.
Raad-2 is smaller, but so far no evidence of this being tested or even planned for JF-17.

The structural changes required for the SU-30MKI to make it capable of carrying Brahmos are permanent.
The extra frames added to the aircraft fuselage for strengthening , make it permanently heavy.
Just to carry one weapon system, making the plane permanently heavy is beyond me.
India has the technology and money to invest into building some cruise missile more suited for a fighter jet and Brahmos isn't.
I bet you a fiver, Rafale with Scalp/storm shadow will be the top dog in ALCM capability of IAF and Brahmos M or other versions will never takeoff.

Raad-2 is smaller, but so far no evidence of this being tested or even planned for JF-17.
Bramhos is definitely not the perfect choice as ALCM but then we don’t have anything else right now that we locally produce except for few old imported Russian ALCM(Kh-55 or it’s export variant) .
Development of Nirbhay/ITCM is taking too long for our comfort.
Bramhos is a necessity and not the choice. It’s very expensive too

Reactions: Killbot

India Signs 1st Export Deal For BrahMos Cruise Missiles With The Philippines

ByAakriti Sharma
March 3, 2021
The Philippines will be the first country to receive the Indian-made BrahMos cruise missile, considered the world’s fastest supersonic missile.
The two countries have signed an agreement for a potential supply of the weapon, which would boost the Philippines’ coastal defense, according to reports.

Jointly developed by India and Russia, the BrahMos is a medium-range supersonic (faster than the speed of sound) missile that can be launched from submarines, ships, fighter jets, or land.
The Straits Times has reported that Philippine Defence Undersecretary Raymund Elefante and Indian Ambassador Shambu Kumaran on Tuesday signed an implementing agreement at Camp Aguinaldo, headquarters of the Armed Forces of the Philippines. The Asian country will be procuring defense material and equipment from India.
Philippine Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana was quoted by The Straits Times as saying: “We are buying the BrahMos missiles”. He did not reveal any further details of the procurement.
The agreement has been described by the defense secretary as a guide for the Philippines and India on “policies and procedures in the defense procurement” and will also serve as a “legal framework for the procurement under the government-to-government modality”.
Ambassador Kumaran and BrahMos Aerospace chief executive and managing director Sudhir Mishra had met the Philippine Army and Philippine Marines officials on separate occasions in January this year.
BrahMos supersonic cruise missile is a product of a consortium of Indian and Russian industries. They have been designed, developed, and produced by BrahMos Aerospace, a joint venture company set up by India’s state-owned Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Mashinostroyenia of Russia.
The name BrahMos represents “the fury” of India’s Brahmaputra river and “the grace” of the Russian river Moskva.

The earliest versions of the supersonic cruise missiles have been in service with the Indian Navy and the Indian Army since 2005 and 2007 respectively. Known as the stand-off range weapons, these types of the missile are fired from a range sufficient to allow the attacker to evade defensive fire from the adversary.
Last year, India had tested an extended range of around 400 kilometers, as compared to its initial range of 290 kilometers, with more versions of higher ranges above 1,000 kilometers currently under development.
Since the missile system can be used as both coastal defense and ground attack, it would provide the Philippine military firepower in the face of threats from Chinese aggression in the South China Sea.
The Philippines has been at the receiving end of China’s expansionist plans in the South China Sea. It has recently expressed concerns over China’s new Coast Guard law, which allows the Chinese agency to open fire at foreign vessels at the slightest suspicion.
The latest agreement on the BrahMos missile marks the strengthening of strategic ties between India and the Philippines under the Modi government’s Act East Policy. Don McLain Gill, an international affairs researcher, has suggested Manila may use this partnership to get out of China’s increasing influence in the region.

“China has significantly increased its military capabilities and coercive measures in Southeast Asia, particularly in the disputed South China Sea where Taiwan, Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei, and the Philippines also have territorial claims.
China’s expansive claims coupled with its growing assertion and disdain for a rules-based order leave little room for negotiation between it and the other claimants,” he writes for Observer Research Foundation (ORF).
At the same time, the current deal marks India’s increasing defense footprint in the Indo-Pacific. New Delhi had earlier extended a $100-million defense-related line of credit to Manila. The Economic Times has reported that the arrangement was concluded following a foreign ministers-level meet in November 2020.
The two sides had agreed to implement the arrangement through “military training and education, capacity building, regular goodwill visits and procurement of defense equipment”.
The strategic ties have been growing since 2018 when a bilateral Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on defense and logistics was signed. Another MoU on sharing white shipping information—non-military/non-government shipping vessel information—was inked in 2020.

https://eurasiantimes.com/india-sig...cruise-missiles-with-the-philippines-reports/
Philippines signs agreement with India for world's fastest supersonic missiles

Reactions: Ironhide and Hydra

Philippines buying Brahmos missile. This is huge. First big ticket defence deal. And a sack of salt on Chinese wounds...😍😍

So.....Brahmos export celebration is underway, based on reports of two obscure and unknown websites?
The deal is in hard cash maamu, unlike the oil for blunder deals you fetched which is why the embarrassed Paxtani media didn't report it . Hence it's not news in your part of the world .

Reactions: Ironhide

Not all aircraft need to be at operating at peak performance. Even within squadrons some pilots/jets are earmarked only for certain missions and they train in that primarily. They also carry extra capabilities to help with the mission.

As for Brahmos-M, even LCA is earmarked to carry it. It's likely to weigh less than the SCALP.

Take it as our version of JF17 exports order to Mareech/Mareekh.😀
Well the aircraft has already seen two exports. Myanmar and Nigeria.
Brahmos or Tejas have yet to see any.
But I Don't want to pisss on your party.
So carry on the "bhangra".

Well the aircraft has already seen two exports. Myanmar and Nigeria.
Brahmos or Tejas have yet to see any.
But I Don't want to pisss on your party.
So carry on the "bhangra".
LoL, hilarious that one member just posted the news and you started throwing all kinds of tantrums .
It’s called projection. May I advice
8EFCDFFC-75FC-43D0-8828-1E5DA366B3C8.jpeg

LoL, hilarious that one member just posted the news and you started throwing all kinds of tantrums .
It’s called projection. May I advice
View attachment 19405
😅😅
Sure. I will accept your advice.
Now where is my "chill" hat.

If LCA is to be exported to Bangladesh, SL, Phillipines or even ME countries then it needs Anti ship weapon capability and an indigenous option of brahmos-NG is best suited. It will give it unprecedented advantage over JFs or any other jet in the category.

A small jet with low RCS and capable of hitting ships at 250-300 km is always welcome.

Last edited: