Brahmos Supersonic Cruise Missile : News, Updates and Discussions

Mini bus ? lol but why
Who knows! Maybe because the map of a Pakistan looks like a minibus I don't know. There nicknames for countries are at best juvenile or borderline racist. Every country has a nickname in Chinese social media..

EoXT-5dUwAI6CYg

Old video of nirbhay:

On a similar note:
Is it be possible to use STFE(Manik) or maybe HTFE-25 in the loyal wingman type project?
There hasn't been any information regarding htfe 25 at all.
While many senior Bureaucrats and defense officials have been talkative of future warfare, nothing concrete has been done.
Why not allow pvt industries to have access to these turbofans and let them innovate on newer concepts like networked drones?

Reactions: Killbot
Old video of nirbhay:

On a similar note:
Is it be possible to use STFE(Manik) or maybe HTFE-25 in the loyal wingman type project?
There hasn't been any information regarding htfe 25 at all.
While many senior Bureaucrats and defense officials have been talkative of future warfare, nothing concrete has been done.
Why not allow pvt industries to have access to these turbofans and let them innovate on newer concepts like networked drones?
HTFE is not a state funded project. It's internal TD project funded by HAL. It's up to them what to do with it or not.

Reactions: Killbot
Military sources now confirm to Mathrubhumi that the Russians demanded ‘exorbitant charges’ to carry out these tests, a first-time experience even for them, since India was the first country to integrate a supersonic cruise missile on to fighter jet.
But the fact remains that at the last count only 2x IAF SU-30MKI were capable of carrying Brahmos missile and IAF was to purchase only 200x Brahmos at the price tag of 1.1 Billion USD.

I haven't seen any updates on either. How many MKI have been converted for Brahmos upto now?
How many of the planned 200 missiles have been handed over to IAF?

But the fact remains that at the last count only 2x IAF SU-30MKI were capable of carrying Brahmos missile and IAF was to purchase only 200x Brahmos at the price tag of 1.1 Billion USD.

I haven't seen any updates on either. How many MKI have been converted for Brahmos upto now?
40 is the number. Atleast 10 should have been integrated by now...

Such things are not revealed until quite some time after they are operational. The modification itself is not complex, it takes very little time. And the yearly supply of Brahmos is quite high.

And when you say "only" 200 Brahmos, that's fine since the main air-launched variant will be the Brahmos-M.

Two part answer

a. The BrahMos-A, which is what you are referring to is a stop gap till the BrahMos-M comes online. It is expected in approx 4-5 years from now. This being the main reason for the low numbers of the BrahMos-A.

b. The 2 you are talking about are what were handed over for testing in 2015 to the IAF. Post that a squadron (Tigersharks) has been designated for the operational role. Induction of the modified Sukhois has started for this squadron.

My guess would be 1 more squadron may get operationalised once you have completed induction of this squadron. This would take you to 2025. Post which the BrahMos-M will come online.

Reactions: RISING SUN

It's a specialized missile for value targets. Don't need too many.

There are enough missiles like Kh-29/59, Popeye, SCALP to fill other missions. Then there are upcoming missiles like Rudra-2/3,ALCM etc

a. The BrahMos-A, which is what you are referring to is a stop gap till the BrahMos-M comes online. It is expected in approx 4-5 years from now. This being the main reason for the low numbers of the BrahMos-A.
Not really, its just an offer from Brahmos aerospace. Services are yet to back it.

Not really, its just an offer from Brahmos aerospace. Services are yet to back it.

Works already begun. First testing will be of the submarine launched version, followed by the air launched version. Priority for the Navy is due to the somwhat wise decision to wait for the IAF to complete induction of LCA in numbers.