Brahmos Supersonic Cruise Missile : News, Updates and Discussions

Another difference appears to be that in the latest test model, the slits for the glide wings are positioned much farther to the back (toward the nozzle) than previous models.

New:

D4MrfJaUIAErSKn.jpg

Old:

DRDO-Nirbhay-launch.jpg

Another difference appears to be that in the latest test model, the slits for the glide wings are positioned much farther to the back (toward the nozzle) than previous models.

New:

D4MrfJaUIAErSKn.jpg

Old:

DRDO-Nirbhay-launch.jpg

The wing has not changed position .....Its just the other side of the missile .

Nirbhay uses a single piece wing rotating to the position on a single pivot ... so one half of the wing rotates from front of the pivot to the position while the other from the back .

For better clarity , here is the two sides of NGL-02 , the second Nirbhay Missile ,

B9mAjHDCAAApFa9.jpg

B9mAjHBCEAAOXX0.jpg

The wing has not changed position .....Its just the other side of the missile .

Nirbhay uses a single piece wing rotating to the position on a single pivot ... so one half of the wing rotates from front of the pivot to the position while the other from the back .

For better clarity , here is the two sides of NGL-02 , the second Nirbhay Missile ,

View attachment 6258
View attachment 6259

As you mentioned wings rotating - starts at 04:15

Some screen shots from the video posted on #163
Close up on the missile. Notice those shockproof cases(white boxes in the back), wonder what they keep in those.:unsure:
Screenshot (121).png

Tow-able rig for assembly and testing. Remember we saw similar(in mechanism not size) rigs in that ASAT video that DRDO released, they were used for assembling the ASAT missile. Again a lot of cases in the back.:unsure:
Maybe they keep assembly tools and stuff in them.:cool:
Screenshot (122).png

The most interesting thing from the video. It says "Nirbhay AL-01" in Hindi in that red circle with the black arrow. The other red circle says "Choubis" or 24 in Hindi. I have very poor eye sight, somebody please confirm that. Strangely it seems to have a very unusual air-intake duct, marked by the red arrow. Nirbhay missile doesn't have a air-intake duct for the Turbofan/jet, it just has a cavity. So what's the deal here ?
Screenshot (123).png

The mid section has a huge gap, you don't need that big of a cavity to stow away the wings. The missile seems to have a larger diameter than the Nirbhay missile or maybe its just me. Also look at the nose ! Its pointy and there is no orange/red radome thingy present here. Guys is this really a Nirbhay ?
Screenshot (124).png

Here you can see the rail employed for keeping the missile attached to the launcher and for vertical launch.
Screenshot (125).png

Center of gravity calibration mass :
Screenshot (126).png

The older Nirbhay missile model with the pointy nose.
Screenshot (127).png

You can see that "Nirbhay AL-01" thing again marked with arrow.
Screenshot (128).png

This image provides the best look at the missile. Notice that intake. That is most certainly not the Nirbhay missile as we know it. A duct like that will significantly add to overall diameter and make it harder to cannisterize. Wait, wasn't there a air-launched version being made, is this the air-launched one ?
Screenshot (129).png
Screenshot (130).png

The NGL-06(possibly means Nirbhay Ground Launch-06) missile that was recently tested in flight. Pic possibly taken from a Su-30mki doing the tail chase. Looks cool.:cool:
Screenshot (131).png

At 20:15 the scientists take a question on variants of the Nirbhay and answer that an air-launched variant is upcoming.
At 24:15 they talk of Manik engine. Test flight with manik will happen in a year from now. Production of Manik at industrial level achieved.
At 34:47 talk of seeker. Apparently the recent test missile didn't have a seeker.

Over all an very informative video. Totally made my day.:)

Some screen shots from the video posted on #163
Close up on the missile. Notice those shockproof cases(white boxes in the back), wonder what they keep in those.:unsure:
View attachment 6268
Tow-able rig for assembly and testing. Remember we saw similar(in mechanism not size) rigs in that ASAT video that DRDO released, they were used for assembling the ASAT missile. Again a lot of cases in the back.:unsure:
Maybe they keep assembly tools and stuff in them.:cool:
View attachment 6269
The most interesting thing from the video. It says "Nirbhay AL-01" in Hindi in that red circle with the black arrow. The other red circle says "Choubis" or 24 in Hindi. I have very poor eye sight, somebody please confirm that. Strangely it seems to have a very unusual air-intake duct, marked by the red arrow. Nirbhay missile doesn't have a air-intake duct for the Turbofan/jet, it just has a cavity. So what's the deal here ?
View attachment 6271
The mid section has a huge gap, you don't need that big of a cavity to stow away the wings. The missile seems to have a larger diameter than the Nirbhay missile or maybe its just me. Also look at the nose ! Its pointy and there is no orange/red radome thingy present here. Guys is this really a Nirbhay ?
View attachment 6272
Here you can see the rail employed for keeping the missile attached to the launcher and for vertical launch.
View attachment 6273
Center of gravity calibration mass :
View attachment 6274
The older Nirbhay missile model with the pointy nose.
View attachment 6275
You can see that "Nirbhay AL-01" thing again marked with arrow.
View attachment 6276
This image provides the best look at the missile. Notice that intake. That is most certainly not the Nirbhay missile as we know it. A duct like that will significantly add to overall diameter and make it harder to cannisterize. Wait, wasn't there a air-launched version being made, is this the air-launched one ?
View attachment 6279View attachment 6280

As the name indicates , it looks like Nirbhay Air Launched variant = Nibhay AL

• Agree
Reactions: TARGET and Gautam
As the name indicates , it looks like Nirbhay Air Launched variant = Nibhay AL
Oh.........that makes sense. If NGL means Nirbhay Ground Launch, AL must mean Air-Launched. Also it doesn't have a solid rocket booster. So why does it have a air-duct ? Was the original cavity like intake not suitable for air-launch ? Maybe it wasn't taking in enough air to kick start the engine mid-flight.

So my eyes did fail me.:cautious:
Which mostly stands for Sangathan.
Sangathan in English would be union or organisation or establishment, something like that.
it's वै. वी. सं.
Say, what is the Hindi name for Aeronautical Development Establishment(ADE) ? ADE is a three letter abbreviation and the Hindi abbreviation must also be three letters. ADE is the nodal organisation responsible for this project.

Oh.........that makes sense. If NGL means Nirbhay Ground Launch, AL must mean Air-Launched. Also it doesn't have a solid rocket booster. So why does it have a air-duct ? Was the original cavity like intake not suitable for air-launch ? Maybe it wasn't taking in enough air to kick start the engine mid-flight.

The rational behind selecting the air duct can only be explained by DRDOwalas .

Sangathan in English would be union or organisation or establishment, something like that.

Say, what is the Hindi name for Aeronautical Development Establishment(ADE) ? ADE is a three letter abbreviation and the Hindi abbreviation must also be three letters. ADE is the nodal organisation responsible for this project.

Good guess ,

वै. वी. सं = वैमानिक विकास स्थापना (एडीई) , बंगलौर = Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE) , Bangalore

• Informative
Reactions: Gautam
The rational behind selecting the air duct can only be explained by DRDOwalas .
Are there any examples from around the world of Air-launched CM sporting an air-duct similar to that ?
For example the cavity like intake in Nirbhay GL are very similar to that of the Russian Kaliibr missiles.

वैमानिक विकास प्रतिष्‍ठान so it will be वै वी प्रा

Probably some Sansthan (institution) with similar name or they used this abbreviation for ADE only.

Are there any examples from around the world of Air-launched CM sporting an air-duct similar to that ?
For example the cavity like intake in Nirbhay GL are very similar to that of the Russian Kaliibr missiles.

Pak Raad , Turkish SOM ...... both ALCMs have fixed intake .

• Informative
Reactions: Gautam

Likely that air-launching with the conformal inlet was problematic as when the carrier jet releases the missile while flying at high speeds, the conformal duct might not be able to receive air all that efficiently. The shaped inlet might be necessitated to 'funnel' the airflow.

Just a guess though. There's no air-launch Kalibr/Klub operational, so difficult to say if the same would be the case when trying to adapt those to air-launch as well.

Pak Raad , Turkish SOM ...... both ALCMs have fixed intake .

Though these two aren't air-launched versions of missiles which have conformal inlets in their ground-based variants to begin with.

The only missile I know of which has had both types of inlets is the Tomahawk. The older versions had an underslung intake:

694940094001_5389855651001_5389842894001-vs.jpg

The new ones (Block-4 I believe) have a conformal one like Kalibr or Nirbhay:

Tomahawk-3.jpg

Though there isn't an air launched Block-IV which we'll need in order to verify whether its the launch platform that effects the need for a different type of inlet or not.