Brahmos Supersonic Cruise Missile : News, Updates and Discussions

If I were you I would wait or rather not assume the worse

Indian programs are never on time
Or possibly they disappear sort of in plain view

Anyways I will give you a " sort of example " with full possibility of plausible deniability

Your choice ;)

View attachment 16739
What does it prove? Why would be a Balistic Ashm project classified? If anything it would be a positive step.

There are too many simultaneous missile projects going on. They are yet to develop a far simpler coastal defense Ashm to replace P15 styx.

What does it prove? Why would be a Balistic Ashm project classified? If anything it would be a positive step.

There are too many simultaneous missile projects going on. They are yet to develop a far simpler coastal defense Ashm to replace P15 styx.
Didnt navy just ordered a bunch of brahmos for coastal defense.

I dont think they ordered yet. Its in small number, Navy requirement is understandably big considering the coast line. Brahmos is very costly to fill all of it.

These questions are best suited for those in the corridors of power.

People like us are not in the know nor qualified to answer such questions.

You heard of NASM-MR AShM right ?
Consider it as a replacement for Styx etc

These questions are best suited for those in the corridors of power.

People like us are not in the know nor qualified to answer such questions.

You heard of NASM-MR AShM right ?
Consider it as a replacement for Styx etc
Where is the spec ? People are just assuming there will be an MR version because there is SR. Range and capabilities can only tell if it's fits the bill or not.

Where is the spec ? People are just assuming there will be an MR version because there is SR. Range and capabilities can only tell if it's fits the bill or not.

On the contrary you are assuming that people are assuming

DRDO documents explicitly mentions NASM-SR and NASM-MR , I read it there.

I posted the line drawing of NASM-SR in 2017 itself and knew the range was less than 100 km , then almost nobody knew about it.

I also had pic of the NASM-MR anti ship seeker for the same ( not related to brahmos )

When drdo publishes the specs you will know then , same as with NASM-SR , till then ponder on the pics below

11058671_addtext021602_54_41_jpeg4bc93ee4c502bb1e514464d33d0fe4e6.jpeg

NASM-SR IIR seeker extreme right

11058670_addtext021602_56_52_jpeg9747b523cd0de0de300753c1801c946c.jpeg

NASM-MR RF seeker extreme right

Last edited:
Hardly, No other article is more reliable than original PIB press release. All these journalist are giving their interpretation based on those few paragraphs.

The PIB press release talks as if orders will be placed for serial production LRLACMs.. The same sentence talks about Pinaka, Astra and LRLACM..So, is LRLASM in production?

Last edited:
Why do you think NASM-MR is being developed by DRDO ?

A cheap high subsonic anti ship missile for ships and coastal defence .

It uses a X band radar seeker.

It is in advance stage of development
What is the range? How does it compares with NSM. Afaik NSM is currently the most jam resistant anti ship missile existing today.

What is the range? How does it compares with NSM. Afaik NSM is currently the most jam resistant anti ship missile existing today.

No idea

all I know is its name and that it uses a RF seeker

If I guess range should be 150+ km

I dont think they ordered yet. Its in small number, Navy requirement is understandably big considering the coast line. Brahmos is very costly to fill all of it.

Defence ministry is yet to give a DAC clearance and CCS clearance I think. The immediate requirement is of 4-5 batteries for replacement of Styx units in Mumbai first. And then another unit for A&N. These two critical areas should have Brahmos units.

We can then buy 12-16 Coastal Defence batteries in the class of Kh35 for deployment from Vizag, Karwar and other important naval bases.

BrahMos new generation cruise missile tests are scheduled to be completed in 2023
According to a representative of a Russian-Indian enterprise, the new missile will have many more platforms from which it will be used than the existing one.

KUBINKA / Moscow region /, August 23. / TASS /. Tests of the new generation BrahMos cruise missile (BrahMos-NG) are scheduled for completion in 2023. Pravin Pathak, a representative of the Russian-Indian enterprise BrahMos, told TASS about this on Sunday before the opening of the Army-2020 International Military-Technical Forum.

“We are working on BrahMos-NG. It will take about three more years together with flight tests,” he said.

According to him, "the preliminary results are very good, we have great support from the Reutov NPO Mechanical Engineering and Indian industry enterprises." According to him, the new missile will have many more platforms from which it will be used than the existing one.

Pathak said that work on the BrahMos hypersonic rocket will go in two stages, eventually reaching a speed of Mach 7.

"During the entire flight, the rocket will run its engine. At the first stage, we expect a speed of Mach 5-6, we will achieve this much earlier. At the second stage, a little later, we expect to reach Mach 6-7," he said ...

"The work on the hypersonic missile is carried out with the support of Russia. The Indian side is also doing a lot of work. There, as elsewhere, there are certain difficulties, but we are solving them," Pathak said.

"We expect that we will enter the tests at the stage of the demonstration launch no later than someone else," he said.

Airworthiness certificate
Pathak said the air-launched BrahMos missile was the first to receive airworthiness certification in India for use with Su-30MKI fighters.

"A big step has been taken for the possible combat use of the air-based BrahMos. This is the first missile to receive such a certificate for the Su-30MKI aircraft in India. This was our main task for 2020," he said.

According to Pathak, during the tests from the Su-30MKI fighter, the capabilities of the air-based BrahMos were proved. The BrahMos supersonic cruise missile airborne joint Russian-Indian development for the first time received a certificate of airworthiness, which now allows their combat use by the Indian Air Force. "We are also developing the capabilities and characteristics of BrahMos, which are in service with the Indian Army and Navy," he said.

The Reutov NPO Mashinostroyenia (part of the Tactical Missile Armament Corporation), which is a co-founder of the BrahMos JV, confirmed this information to TASS.

The Indian Air Force is preparing 40 Su-30MKI fighters to use BrahMos missiles. The flight range of the air-launched BrahMos cruise missile is 300 km. During the tests, six missiles of this type were launched against ground and surface targets.

Deliveries to India
Pathak also said that the BrahMos missiles were delivered to the Indian Armed Forces on time, despite the pandemic.

"Deliveries are being made on time, despite the difficult situation with the pandemic," he stressed. "We have certain delivery schemes that we support. All deliveries are made on time. Our customer is very satisfied."

“We managed to fulfill all obligations to our Armed Forces. This also confirmed the high level of our cooperation with the Russian industry represented by the Reutov NPO Mashinostroeniya (part of the Tactical Missile Armament Corporation), since we received many components from it. And they (components - note TASS) were delivered in spite of everything. This helped us complete our deliveries on time, "Pathak emphasized.

The Army-2020 International Military-Technical Forum is being held from 23 to 29 August 2020 on the territory of the Patriot Exhibition and Convention Center of the Russian Armed Forces, the Alabino training ground and the Kubinka airfield. In addition, part of the demonstration shows will take place at the Ashuluk training ground in the Astrakhan region. They will be broadcasted at the forum sites in the Patriot Park.

Any idea if brahmos can cruise at close to mach3 in low altitude or in sea skimming mode?..i know it would drastically reduce range but any idea about speed?