Attack Helicopters of IAF - LCH Prachand, AH-64E Apache : Updates & Discussions

Me thinks they’ll create a more protected armor with lower flight ceiling for army like Apache

Armor protection is quite adequate for its class and roles. HAL would be concentrating more on improving it's versatility and payload capacity when the new engine completes development.

Another Heavy Attack Helicopter is in the works but it wont see light of the day until HAL MLH project has progressed well.

Reactions: Sathya
India Interested in Israeli Systems for its New Combat Helicopters Fleet

India is enhancing its combat helicopter fleet. HAL (Hindustan Aeronautics Limited) has received a Request for Proposal (RFP) for 15 Limited Series Light Combat Helicopters (LCH) from the Indian Air Force (IAF) and the Indian Army. This comes close on the heels of HAL receiving RFP for the supply of 83 LCAs (Light Combat Aircraft) just days ago. India has been showing interest in several Israeli systems for this helicopter, namely various pods and Spike anti-tank missiles manufactured by Rafael Advanced Defense Systems. LCH is a 5.5-ton class, combat helicopter designed and developed by HAL. It is powered by two Shakti engines and inherits many technical features of the Advanced Light Helicopter. According to the company’s statement on its website, the features that are unique to LCH are sleek and narrow fuselage, tri-cycle crashworthy landing gear, crashworthy and self-sealing fuel tanks, armor protection and low visibility features which makes the LCH lethal, agile and survivable. The helicopter would have day/night targeting systems for the crew including the Helmet pointed sight and Electro-optical pod consisting of CCD camera/FLIR/Laser Range Finder (LRF)/ Laser Designator(LD). The LCH is fitted with Self Protection Suite consisting of Radar/Laser Missile warning systems and Countermeasures dispensing system. Presently, four technology demonstrators are under flight testing. LCH has the distinction of being the first attack helicopter to land in Forward Bases at Siachen, 5400 m above sea level.

**** .Read more at India No 1 Defence News Website India Interested in Israeli Systems for its New Combat Helicopters Fleet - Indian Defence Research Wing .

source please?

Nothing official, HAL CMD has spoken about future helicopter projects and the heavy attack helicopter is a paper concept as of now within HAL.

It's a natural progression from LCH especially when the armed forces are set to have a huge requirement for the same in the future.

Most likely, the development will be officially acknowledged once the medium-lift helo development has progressed smoothly, in around 3 to 4 years when MoD will be looking for follow-on orders for IA Apaches.

Reactions: Shashank and Ashwin
Any info on the timeline, by when they would be delivered?
unfortunately i dont think that has been reported anywhere.maybe @Aashish has an inside view on that.

HAL will deliver 6 LSP LCH in 2018 then 8-10 in 2019 and will stabilise production in 20-25/year range by 2021 (pending more orders of course)

Armor protection is quite adequate for its class and roles. HAL would be concentrating more on improving it's versatility and payload capacity when the new engine completes development.

Another Heavy Attack Helicopter is in the works but it wont see light of the day until HAL MLH project has progressed well.
MLH?

Reactions: Aditya and Shashank
Medium Lift Helicopter. The utility version with MToW of 12tons is under design.
HAL Medium Lift Helicopter - Wikipedia

It may be converted to Apache type Medium Combat Helicopter from its utility version

Oh you mean IMRH?

Anyway I feel as though a heavy attack helo project will begin in earnest around 2024/5 when LCH is a refined product and when IMRH is coming to an advanced stage in development.
you have a source for this my good man? would love to read up on those.

Oh you mean IMRH?

Anyway I feel as though a heavy attack helo project will begin in earnest around 2024/5 when LCH is a refined product and when IMRH is coming to an advanced stage in development.

LCH has already been refined for 7-8 years. Since 2015, the trials have been vigorous and extensive. It will undergo further tweaking in next 1-2 years. HTSE has to be made first so that there isn't unnecessary forex cost. As I see, by 2020, the production pace must pick up. HAL is also facing order shortage to keep its employees engaged.

IMRH will be ready by 2024. It is a clone of Mi17, at least as of now.

Not sure about heavy choppers. Even if made, will it be like Chinook (twin rotor) or Mi26?

LCH has already been refined for 7-8 years. Since 2015, the trials have been vigorous and extensive. It will undergo further tweaking in next 1-2 years. HTSE has to be made first so that there isn't unnecessary forex cost. As I see, by 2020, the production pace must pick up. HAL is also facing order shortage to keep its employees engaged.

IMRH will be ready by 2024. It is a clone of Mi17, at least as of now.

Not sure about heavy choppers. Even if made, will it be like Chinook (twin rotor) or Mi26?
1) HTSE will come when ready. Until then it will be delivered with an imported engine.

2) orders will come. IA and IAF have a combined requirement for >200 LCHs and ALHs will keep being churned out for at least another decade

3) IMRH is no clone of the Mi17

qv2arob49ia01.jpg