Attack Helicopters of IAF - LCH Prachand, AH-64E Apache : Updates & Discussions

Even those apaches we ordered, only half of it has MMW radar,
Targeting datas can be relayed with Data links?
If so, we should also test sant in Prachand & Rudra..
In a group of heli, one Apace with MMW radar can send targeting datas to rest of the team??
Frankly I'm surprised we aren't developing a MMW radar given we've a huge requirement of it or that even most of our attack hptrs whether light medium or heavy lack it .

Reactions: Sathya
Frankly I'm surprised we aren't developing a MMW radar given we've a huge requirement of it or that even most of our attack hptrs whether light medium or heavy lack it .

With the development of aesa radars, and our plan to equip all fighters with aesa radars, I doubt we ll not develop one for helicopters.

@marich01 @Fatalis any idea?

Reactions: marich01
Even those apaches we ordered, only half of it has MMW radar,
Targeting datas can be relayed with Data links?
If so, we should also test sant in Prachand & Rudra..
In a group of heli, one Apace with MMW radar can send targeting datas to rest of the team??
Can be done. But does Apache have two way datalink compatible with Rudra ?

Can be done. But does Apache have two way datalink compatible with Rudra ?
Why does it need a 2 way data link ? Merely transmission should be enough for Rudra or Prachanda to come up with firing solutions . Once fired the Apaches can guide the missiles

Why does it need a 2 way data link ? Merely transmission should be enough for Rudra or Prachanda to come up with firing solutions . Once fired the Apaches can guide the missiles
In an armour thrust you will have multiple targets and will be firing multiple missiles at a time. The platform commanding those missiles need to have data.
Lock on After Launch

Reactions: AllStirFry
In an armour thrust you will have multiple targets and will be firing multiple missiles at a time. The platform commanding those missiles need to have data.
Lock on After Launch

The APG-78 is capable of simultaneously tracking up to 128 targets and engaging up to 16 at once

AN/APG-78 Longbow - Wikipedia

Ideally what you're saying is right but ideally we also need every attack hptr to be fitted in with such a radar or at least have it in a 1:2 ratio.

We should have our own domestic system capable to be fitted upon LCH and Rudra. But let's see if we get anything positive.
I don't see the tech as a huge barrier which means either the services didn't ask for it in their own wisdom or given the dearth of personnel who can be dedicated to this task , it's on the back burner in DRDO .

I don't see the tech as a huge barrier which means either the services didn't ask for it in their own wisdom or given the dearth of personnel who can be dedicated to this task , it's on the back burner in DRDO .
That's true. But I wouldn't be happy for this capability untill I see a solution.

• Agree
Reactions: _Anonymous_
Pg1.jpg

Pg2.jpg

Pg3.jpg

Key takeaways here are :

Each hptr costs ~ 32 m USD. Whether this is the price for the LSP only or going ahead as the ordered qty increases the price will come down is unknown.

Indigenous content is ~40% to be increased to ~60% . Apparently the entire weapons package is imported ( France) so will be the self protection suite ( unknown whether it's included in the percentage of imported items aa given above. If not included that further escalates the amount of imported content) & the engine ( French JV) though I wonder how is it accounted for when calculating the imported vs indigenous content percentagewise given the turboshaft is locally produced & HAL is responsible for development of ~ 20% of the saidturboshaft as per workshare agreement with SAFRAN ( for those interested, HALs workshare in the development of the turboshaft for the IMRH is ~ 35-40% - something which attracted fair amount of criticism by the B R F gang on Twitter for the conservative approach displayed by HAL towards developmental activity, something Wing Co Unny Pillai among other TPs & a few HAL personnel from the design team & associated with the project chose not to comment upon)

Also unknown is whether the percentage of imported vis a vis indigenous systems indicated above is in terms of the cost or in terms of weightage of the various modules which've gone into the LCH or a median of both.

Finally there's a gap of 2 yrs between the end of LSP & the commencement of regular serial production which means if we receive the full complement of the LSP models by 2026 , regular serial production would commence only in 2028. While HAL has claimed it can deliver upto 60 hptrs from it's Tumkur complex, I suspect initial production rates won't exceed 20 nos in a FY. Before people jump up & down ols consider that consuming food isn't the same as digesting it which is to say IAF & IA would also have to cater to developing the associated infrastructure to recruit train maintain & house both the personnel & hptrs they'd be inducting.

We seem to be following an incremental approach to developing hptrs something Turkey is also pursuing. Hopefully by the time the last of the LCHs come out of the factories except for the turboshafts, all the other items especially the weapons package & self protection suite are completely & thoroughly indigenised down to the sub system, component & sub component level & I don't mean screwdrivergiri here.

Once again , let me issue a reminder - given the rate of production & allied issues, we won't have much of fleet of LCHs when we go up against China in 2030 .

The gap between LSP & SP version is normal, airborne platforms need to follow strict QAP of DGQA RCMA guidelines, HAL themselves also said order is expected not before 2024 as after the LSP is delivered it takes 1 to 1.5 years to first fly those and see what adjustments are needed. Numbers are I think known somewhat in initial projection, 140 odd LCH & 170 for LUH from domestic customers.

The gap between LSP & SP version is normal, airborne platforms need to follow strict QAP of DGQA RCMA guidelines, HAL themselves also said order is expected not before 2024 as after the LSP is delivered it takes 1 to 1.5 years to first fly those and see what adjustments are needed.

You didn't get my larger point . I wasn't referring to the SOP they are obliged to follow for mfg processes but to their availability given the looming Chinese problem on the LAC.

Numbers are I think known somewhat in initial projection, 140 odd LCH & 170 for LUH from domestic customers.

Close to 200 units of the LCH for the IA & IAF combined & 300 units for IA + IN + IAF for LUH , likely more if we consider the requirements of para military forces like CG too & armed variants for scout duties .

You didn't get my larger point . I wasn't referring to the SOP they are obliged to follow for mfg processes but to their availability given the looming Chinese problem on the LAC.

Close to 200 units of the LCH for the IA & IAF combined & 300 units for IA + IN + IAF for LUH , likely more if we consider the requirements of para military forces like CG too & armed variants for scout duties .

Even if there are LCH I doubt will be the first to be used. They have Rudra wsi for use initially, plus the other stuff. in any case I think ramping up production is not problem, clearing the orders are. HAL has the facilities in place now, utilization currently is very low. We are hoping LCH orders to be cleared soon.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
Even if there are LCH I doubt will be the first to be used.

Ideally they ought be the ones going in there first but they won't for reasons already given of which lack of absolute numbers come right on top .

They have Rudra wsi for use initially, plus the other stuff.

LCH is a much more improved version of the Rudras & is armoured to boot . The fully developed version of the LCH which would mean the fully armed one with the self protection suite , etc will be a beast exactly what's required at those heights.

in any case I think ramping up production is not problem, clearing the orders are. HAL has the facilities in place now, utilization currently is very low. We are hoping LCH orders to be cleared soon.

As per OTV Nigeria will be the first country to buy unspecified numbers of indigenously built Light Combat Helicopters from state-run Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd through soft credit.

As per OTV Nigeria will be the first country to buy unspecified numbers of indigenously built Light Combat Helicopters from state-run Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd through soft credit.

Nigeria already has on order currently

1. 12 Mi35 Hinds
2. Turkish T129
3. AH1Z Viper attack helicopters from USA in worth 1 billion USD order

Now I am thinking, why would a force order a 4th type of attack helicopter?

Further

1. LCH lacks Self Protection Suite making it unfit for any combat operations, even the low intensity ones.

2. LCH currently lacks an ATGM, the top notch weapon of any attack helicopter.

Now why would, a country import a 4th type of attack Helicopter with these deficiencies?

Just my thoughts.