Airbus to offer Eurofighter for MMRCA 2.0

Ashwin

Agent_47
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 30, 2017
Bangalore
StratPost can confirm that European aerospace giant Airbus will offer the Eurofighter Typhoon fighter aircraft for the Indian Air Force (IAF) requirement for 110 new fighter aircraft and respond with information on the aircraft to the IAF’s Request For Information (RFI). The deadline for submission of responses to the RFI is July 06, 2018.

A spokesman for Airbus Defence and Space told StratPost on Tuesday,“For Eurofighter Typhoon, supported by its industrial partners Airbus will respond to the Indian Air Force publicly released RFI. We are convinced that Eurofighter Typhoon’s unrivalled operational capabilities are the ideal answer to the threats that India faces. Airbus with its Eurofighter Typhoon Partner Companies and their Governments stand ready to provide the Government of India and Indian Air Force with an update on the continued success of the Typhoon programme, including the continued investment in the Typhoon capability, operational performance and growing user community.”

The Eurofighter Typhoon was shortlisted after technical trials by the IAF for its tender for 126 Medium Multi Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) in April 2011, along with the French Dassault Rafale. After opening of commercial bids for the two aircraft, the Rafale was selected L1 in January 2012.

However, an order was not placed as negotiations were inconclusive and the tender was withdrawn in 2015. The IAF placed a separate order for 36 Rafale fighters after the withdrawal of the tender.

“Airbus and the Eurofighter Typhoon industrial consortium together with the governments of Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom have previously offered India a unique defence and industrial partnership associated with the Typhoon multi-role/swing-role aircraft. The earlier Eurofighter proposal included a comprehensive “Make in India” offer which included industrialization, transfer of technology and licensed production of the Typhoon,” added the spokesman for Airbus Defence and Space.

There was recent speculation that Eurofighter Typhoon partner-company BAE Systems would lead the campaign in India, this time. But since Airbus led the campaign the last time, which led to the Eurofighter making the shortlist, there may have been no reason to change the campaign lead. That the tender ended up being withdrawn after failed negotiations with the declared L1 vendor, Dassault, could be perceived as further vindication of Airbus’ performance in the earlier MMRCA contest.

This confirmation by Airbus takes the number of confirmed participating aircraft to five, including the Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornet Block III, the Russian MiG-35, Lockheed Martin F-16 Block 70 and the Swedish Saab Gripen E. It is still not known if Dassault will choose to participate in the new process and offer the Rafale.

The French have been lobbying for a second, follow-on order from the IAF for additional Rafale fighters.

Airbus to offer Eurofighter for MMRCA 2.0 | StratPost

Govt should negotiate G2G to be done with this farce. How many new additions of ac can an AF support. Even if its bit costly we should go for it.

• Agree
Reactions: Bali78
Cmon Modi ji should show some sense of humor, Invite proposal for Chengdu J10 :oops:.

Yeah, Why doesn't China participate in these contests? They are very cut-throat in competing in things like Telecom infra, Metro rails and High Speed Rail etc but there is only silence in the defence sector contracts.

anyway all 6 contenders will offer it again.. since its already tested, wont flytest again..

no expenses for companies .. just have to make offers

Rafale Vs F16 again ?

Fs. That has always been my position. Rider: If Modi is not voted in, then nothing!

I consider the F-16 as a participant, not a competitor.

For example, just have all aircraft demonstrate flight performance with 1 engine turned off. :D

The Super Hornet B3 can be a real threat though, especially since there's a naval requirement also. But it's still going to fall short, both in terms of aircraft and industrial cooperation.

• Agree
Reactions: Bon Plan
This stupid new RFI is doomed to fail and end in litigation. IAF will be left hardly any fighters by the time those litigation will be decided. earlier we had IAF crashing the aircraft, now even HAL has joined the list. Aircraft are crashing even before being inducted in service.

this is my test for all Aircraft manufactures .

each one pick a city in Pakistan
If you can fly from India, drop an LGB in there and come back
you will get a 200 aircraft order.

I'd want @Milspec 's opinion on it . Of late he's been rather pessimistic about you and your optimism .
I am actually with him on this, The only sensible option is to add rafales. I have never liked EFT, gripens NG from sancho seemed to have had some gr88 developments. F16IN's was the aircraft that would have fit the mrca bill perfectly, but I highly doubt IAF adding a US platform as a frontline item. It's safe to say if Rafale was L1 back then it would still be now. With LCA mk2 there is no room for gripen.

Last edited:
Reactions: _Anonymous_